Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 774 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#153675 03/15/09 07:27 PM
M
mtalley Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
My friend has a 1 1/2 acre pond in Central CA that is the normal over populated and stunted LMB situation. We have been removing every LMB that we catch for about a year now. We are seeing a very small improvement on the weight of the bass but still have days where we catch fish on every other cast. The pond is about a hout from home so we only fish it about 10 times a year. On 3/8/2008 we planted 20 adult BG that I am pretty sure were too large for the LMB to eat and 25 channels cats (7.5-10.5"). The LMB we catch are skinny 7-13". There hasn't been any other species of fish seen or caught in the lake in the last few years, including the BG & CC.

There is another 1 acre pond on the property that has no bass in it and we planted a small amount of RES & BG in last spring along with 25 CC. I also have my pond but I do not want to remove my relatively few BG that are large enough to avoid predation from the LMB.

A group of us want to head to the pond and have a fish fry sometime soon. We are also getting pretty close to the LMB spawn. Do you guys think we should try to remove a bunch of fish before the spawn or wait until the spawn occurs? Create forage or prevent as many new mouths as possible? Obviously we need to add more adult BG but I don't think we put enough in the other pond to be removing any yet. I will let my fish supplier know that I am in need of adult BG next time they come across some.

What do you guys think?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I would take them out now. He is still going to have thousands of LMB fry no matter what.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
No question-take them out now.

Remember, those bass got stunted and skinny trying to forage on their own offspring.....if young LMB were worth trying to use as primary forage, LMB ponds wouldn't stunt so quickly and severely.

Or, looking at the problem from another angle, even a small number of surviving yoy LMB will put a real hurt on your yoy BG as they grow throughout their first year. I really put the hammer down on my 2acre, bass heavy pond two years ago, with an almost immediate improvement in fish quality, but slacked off last year as I got busy with other pond projects. So far this spring, I've caught a lot of 8-13" fish that I'm sure I should have been removing more aggressively. I won't make that mistake again.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Have a big fish fry on those small LMB. When you get the numbers down add adult BG and some small BG as well.

M
mtalley Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
We are heading out in the morning to add more BG to the BG pond and take out more LMB from the main pond.

M
mtalley Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
One more thing, after you fillet the LMB out how do you fry them up?

Thanks.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Batter them in cornmeal and deep fry in 375 degree oil till they float and start to brown.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Without getting to far offtrack, I have a stunted bass pond as well it is .3 acres. I have started to remove all bass, got out 10 today form 8-12 in. (that is the only size range to be caught so far). Is there any way I could take too many out? Or just take them all and never look back until I catch something bigger than 12in.?

Get out and fish.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
You can't catch them all. Keep culling.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
jakeb, eventually, after you see some improvement from the culling of every LMB caught, you might then star to look at a slot limit cull where you let maybe the biggest LMB go back considering length and WR.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Sounds like what I am dealing with at my 4.5 acre pond. 9 out of 10 bass I catch are between 10 and 14 inches long and all below 100% RW. A fish smaller than 10 inches is more common than a bass bigger than 16" in my pond. I can count on my hands the "quality" bass I've caught in the pond. One of my main problems is there is too much aquatic vegetation.

As far as frying bass. I like to fry the fillets whole. I rub mine in yellow mustard before I batter them with the seasoned cornmeal.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Mmmm... Nothing like some deep fried bass! I like to mix some chili powder and some other secret spices in with my corn meal when frying up fish.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
jakeb yes you can remove to many LMB. It is not to hard to do on a .3 acre pond. You should shoot for removing about 10-12 lbs worth of samll LMB (12in or less). See what effect that has and go from there. If you catch a big LMB (3 lbs+)that looks healthy put it back.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
When you think about it, a 0.3 acre pond is a 1/3 an acre... It might be able to support 25 lbs of LMB. That's only 12 2 lb bass or 25 1 lb bass... If you feed your fish, those number may go up 50%. Small ponds are so hard to manage for that exact reason...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Thanks everyone, Someone else stocked this pond with everything and anything. It was once a well balanced pond with some nice bass. Now its only small bass and even less BG (which will add more soon). Maybe it can get back to the way it once was. Thanks for advice now back to helping mtalley!

Get out and fish.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Thats a good pond for raising hugh bg.

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
I am having trouble keeping down my LMB population in a 12 acre pond. It has blue gills, coppernose, crappie, and LMB stocked in it. The bass are all very small & overpopulated, 7-12 inches.
We had LA wildlife and fisheries come out last year and shock it. They concluded that we had too many bass and not enough bream. The bream we have are really large, but their offspring are getting devoured by the bass. The crappie, which we were advised not to stock due to risk of overpopulation, are barely hanging in there. Every time I think the crappie are wiped out completely (couple years of not catching any), I will snag one or two.
We live on the pond and fish it pretty hard. Last year we caught around 300-400 LMB's, but we just can't keep up with them and get them under control.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to really pull out large quantities of LMB's. I have had some success at night using a hoop net with a submersible light tied in it and of course the old fashion rod n reel way, but I still can't catch enough of these little LMB's out. Does anyone know of any hoop net baits that will attract LMB's?
Not sure if it is even legal to own w/out a permit, but I even looked into buying electrofishing equipment after witnessing how easy the wildlife and fisheries brought up bass. I have searched the internet w/no luck and I am almost to the last resort of complete kill off and starting over, but I would really hate to have to do that. If anyone has any suggestions or information, I would really appreciate it.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
That is one of the problems with bass in larger, private impoundments. You have to stay after them. You're doing about all you can unless you invite others to help.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
 Originally Posted By: BWillis
I am having trouble keeping down my LMB population in a 12 acre pond. It has blue gills, coppernose, crappie, and LMB stocked in it. The bass are all very small & overpopulated, 7-12 inches.
We had LA wildlife and fisheries come out last year and shock it. They concluded that we had too many bass and not enough bream. The bream we have are really large, but their offspring are getting devoured by the bass. The crappie, which we were advised not to stock due to risk of overpopulation, are barely hanging in there. Every time I think the crappie are wiped out completely (couple years of not catching any), I will snag one or two.
We live on the pond and fish it pretty hard. Last year we caught around 300-400 LMB's, but we just can't keep up with them and get them under control.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to really pull out large quantities of LMB's. I have had some success at night using a hoop net with a submersible light tied in it and of course the old fashion rod n reel way, but I still can't catch enough of these little LMB's out. Does anyone know of any hoop net baits that will attract LMB's?
Not sure if it is even legal to own w/out a permit, but I even looked into buying electrofishing equipment after witnessing how easy the wildlife and fisheries brought up bass. I have searched the internet w/no luck and I am almost to the last resort of complete kill off and starting over, but I would really hate to have to do that. If anyone has any suggestions or information, I would really appreciate it.

Sounds exactly like my pond except I'm only 4.5 acres. Do you have any aquatic vegetation problems (water lilies, hydrilla, bladderwort?)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is a thought. Hire someone to electrofish the pond and take out all the small LMB and Crappie you catch. That has two advantages. One you get to take them out quick and select any real healthy ones to leave in. Two you take out LMB across the spectrum of catchability. If you just fish for them then you are taking out the fish that tend to bite lures (catchable) and leave in those that are not catchable. Just fishing over time makes the job of removing them harder because the ones left tend not to bite lures.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Not sure if tiger musky would survive the warm weather of Louisiana but stocking 5-10 12"-16" tiger musky might really knock your LMB population down in a few years. Then when you are satisfied you can catch the tigers out. They are hybrids so their isn't worry of reproduction.

B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
We have very few water lilies, just in the shallow section and patchy hydrilla next to the bank, but not a problem by any means. Its pretty deep, so I guess that helps.
In response to CJBS2003, I will definately look into the tiger musky idea. Thanks for the info.

H
Fingerling
Fingerling
H
I have a similar issue. We have about a 3 acre pond that my buddy and I regularly float tube on and we consistently catch a lot of very small LMB in the range of 6" to 10". I can catch many in a row that are smaller than the spinner bait they are hooked on. The pond seems to have heavy vegetation during the summer months that dies back in the winter. The majority of the pond is between 6' to 12' deep with a deep canal near the damn that gets to 20'.

I caught a big carp by accident in the pond last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWWBj_ep5Bs

You can see the overall pond at the end of the video there.

Here is a link to google maps of the pond
http://tinyurl.com/reclake

You can see from the satellite view some of the vegetation that it gets in the early spring. In the summer the pond is loaded with tufts of vegetation that make it hard to fish.

A few weeks back a buddy of mine and I caught 75 fish in 4 hours of fishing. All of them were 10" or less LMB.

There are a few other ponds that we fish in the area that have a much better population of bigger fish. For some reason this pond has a LOT of very small LMB. Any suggestions on how to help nature along with growing the population?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Welcom to Pond Boss, hemna.

Culling 30-50 lbs. of LMB per acre is usually a start to addressing overpopulation of LMB which sounds like what you have going on (without knowing more details.)

A second aspect is to understand what kind of forage base you have going on in your pond. What is the bluegill population like?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

H
Fingerling
Fingerling
H
There are some bluegill in the pond. It's hard to tell how many though, as I don't typically see a lot of them. I also don't fish for them either. The other ponds in the area that have good size LMB in them have a lot of bluegill. I usually take my son to the other ponds with a fly rod for bluegill fishing.

Sorry for being dense here, but why does culling LMB from a pond increase the size of the remaining fish? I thought the reverse would be true as there would be enough small LMB around for predation. I guess I don't follow it, but there must be something to it as the last 3 years this pond has consistently produced a LOT of very small LMB. I'll usually catch 1 or two LMB that range greater than 2lb per year in the pond. But I can catch very small LMB all day long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails