Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (esshup, Fishingadventure, John Fitzgerald, Bill Cody, Waxaholic), 1,116 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
ericdc Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I have just printed and read through the 6 page application that must be sent in along with $50 dollars to get a permit to go ahead and buy, transport, and stock triploids in my pond. It seems there is a lot of liability and what scares me is that I am dealing with the government. If I got the permit it would cause me to have to provide carp to the department at my cost upon request to verify triploidy, and the cost of the tests.

It also allows department officials OR a department approved contractor to conduct UNANNOUNCED random inspections of my vehicle, property, water body site, and fish. Also, officials may request other officials to accompany them during these insepctions. Additionally, those individuals performing these inspections may remove or take fish samples for analysis and or inspection.

I am also responsible for damages caused by any escapement.

I am a libertarian politically and do not agree with government intervention in private affairs.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Does anyone have a different state's application for grass carp?

I have not gone through the process for applying for grass carp permits so I can't comment.

They do help with weed control though!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
ericdc Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Here is Louisiana's application.

http://www.wlf.state.la.us/pdfs/license/permits/TGC Possession Permit Application.pdf

E
ericdc Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
for some reason it is not linking the entire url

D
Lunker
Lunker
D

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I wouldn't be very comfortable with that situation, either.

My .02- The terms are a little rough for the fish owner. Like most government forms, though, this one just gives the deparment a lot of discretion to do their job. The terms seem to be more precautionary-- it allows them to cover their hide if something goes wrong and they need to come out to your pond. I seriously doubt they have the time and money to actively intervene and disrupt what you're doing. Chances are you'd never see them, but they need the power to manage.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Lunker
Lunker
No permits or requests to fill out in Ohio. Only triploids can be sold here.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Can't this be done thru a pre-qualified fish dealer without much pain?

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
No way as a private lakeowner woull I go through that process. I have similiar process here. They are considered "exotic" so I need a wild animal license similir to if I was dealing with a lion. My license for all my other 20 species is $10 the GC one is $236. Individual lakeowners need nothing. Up to me to sell them triploids.

You sure that if you buy from grass carp dealer you need this?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
ericdc Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Greg, I am pretty sure. Reason being is once you fill out your permit they give you a list of suppliers.

I'm going to call tomorrow and talk to one of the guys at the local office, sometimes they are pretty good to deal with.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
In PA, you have to fill out an application that includes pictures of your water ingress and egress (sp?) to ensure that the grass carp cannot get out. Sometimes, they send someone out to see the pond if the pond is over a certain size also implying the addition of more grass carp than might be used in a smaller pond.

They don't want these fish getting into unanticipated areas and denuding the existing plant life.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Eric -

Are there any folks nearby with triploids that you could talk with?

Russ

E
ericdc Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Do a search on grass carp in a nearby trophy bass fishery known as Caney lake. They overdid the vegetation control and really hurt the lake by making plant life in the lake non-existent. An effort to get the carp out was fashioned and grass is starting to come back in Caney much to the pleasure of anglers.

word is the couple big carp I have seen in my pond may have been transported in there from Caney or another body. I don't think they were "permitted" to be put in there, and I have not seen them lately.

I am supposed to be having someone from the state come out and do a electro survey on my pond. I wonder what will happen if some carp float up that I did not put in there.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
They will have no proof who put them in there so there won't be a thing they can do!

I agree with your feelings that the government has way too much of their nose in things. I was looking at all the permits involved to get tilapia in VA. I mean really, the things die when the water gets too cold, it isn't like a grass carp or snakehead that can survive winters in VA.

The wording that allows government agents onto your property at any time to inspect is probably just like davasta said, a CYA type thing, they got better things to do than just wonder on to people's properties. I am a government agent as a profession and I know I got way better things to do than just aimlessly wonder around people's property even though the Supreme Court says I can in their open field's doctrine ruling. I don't agree with that ruling, but it is what it is...

I would be more worried about the fact that they could require you to pay for a sample to be taken to prove triploidy. That could be pricey! I think all this government tape is because in Louisiana you can sell both diploid and triploid grass carp, big brother just wants to make sure diploids aren't getting loose making a mess of the place.

E
ericdc Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
My wife wants NOTHING to do with the permit from the state government. She told me last night after reading it that she would rather pay for treatments when needed than do the permit.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
eric. We have had carp in our ponds for about 5 years now and have never heard nor seen any state folks around. We have also baught carp several times through the years on same permit. No problems. I think most of the regs are in place for fish farms and not so much for people just stocking for weed problems.

E
ericdc Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Thanks Calvin, that is reassuring. I spoke to one of the fisheries guys up here at the Monroe office since I'm in their region. He also reassured me that the permit process was not to be feared and that they only show up if the landowner reports a problem or requests a visit. The pond is going to get sprayed this spring. Then we will possibly stock carp this fall.

They are going to use the following chemicals in my pond they said.

We'll probably apply 2,4-D with perhaps some diquat or glyphosate thrown
in for good measure (depending on weed density and maturity).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?