Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1519 02/25/06 09:55 AM
J
J.R. Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am in the beginning stages of constructing a pond in the south Georgia area. I have no idea who to contact as far as digging the thing. I know there are people with dozers who would be willing to come dig a hole...people have ponds (holes) dug around here all the time. I am hoping for more than just a hole. I want a prime fishing pond, with structure, personality, and a good, solid dam and spillway. Anyone have any idea who I can contact in this area to get the ball rolling? Thanks.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I will be glad to check on this for you. What part of South Ga. are you in? PM me if you feel more comfortable that way. We don't deal much in pond construction, but I can poll some customers in your area for some input.

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

J
J.R. Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi, Deb. Thanks for the help. I am in Waycross...not too far from you guys. You are in Tifton, right? I may have to stop by one of these days and look at those Georgia Giants up close. As far as I know, I have never seen one. I guess it is possible I could have caught one at some point and just thought it was a huge, different looking bluegill. Are they pretty widespread in the ponds around here or are they rare to find? Thanks again for the contractor help.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
J.R.
I would also contact Greg Grimes : http://www.lakework.com/

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Did not have time to poll today, sorry. Tadpole had an eye appointment, and I was late getting in to the office. I will call around tomorrow. We have lots of customers strung out from Axson to Waycross to Blackshear to Brunswick to Savannah ...so you very well might have caught a GG and did not know it.
Greg deals more in pond management than I do, so he may have some better contacts as far as builders. I will still check though.

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I just got a bid today for my 5-6 acre pond. $174,400. I got a lot of red Ga dirt to move.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Any idea how much increased land value you would see from such an investment, Jersey?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Wow is right!
Does that include the bribes to get the paperwork through? ;\)

Wishing you luck Jersey!
At least after finding this site you know you're going to make it a great pond!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Triple "Wow", Jersey...
My first post on this forum about 5 months ago was to find a place to cry in my soup about how much a 4 - 5 acre pond was going potentially cost. I had just gotten a $15k invoice for clearing thick timber and prep'ing the pondsite...it seemed a little stiff. With all due respect, I feel a little better now.
May I be so bold as to request a briefing of the peripheral details that could possibly run a tab that high? I do recall your issues and headaches with the ACoE...presumably a source of $ woe?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
JR, I think I would visit a lot of ponds and start getting ideas. Become a student of pond building. You are the guy that has to be satisfied. Most pond owners, me included, has looked in their rear view mirror with 100% clarity and said, "I wish I had".

Mike Otto says that there is a lot of difference between a water impoundment and a fishing pond or a home for fish. I believe that, as a start, I would contact the Pond Boss office and buy every back issue containing Mike Otto's articles. This will be a pittance compared to other costs and will give you a real head start. Depending on others to do the right thing is a sure fire recipe for dissatisfaction. I would also read every post on pond building and keep asking questions.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Jersey, did he give you a breakdown on that? The other bids will be interesting.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
J.R. do not know of folks that far south. However DNR has a list of pond builders. Get it and go through make sure to ask for refferals and someone familiar with siphon system, the method I rec. if possible.

Also they need to be open minded to some of your fish struture ideas. I meet with clietns on their pond clearing when first getting started. It is crazy the client is paying the bill but you would think the pond builder is in charge. I'm here to tell you watch out. I have them say to me "Boy how ponds have you build, cause this makes 55 for me." They are very close minded I and do not like change. I would fire the pond builder but the owners just say sorry I guess we will not add that fish hump b/c he does not think it is necessary, but here is your $350 check for coming out. I feel but for the pond owner many times. Look long and hard before hiring one and see if he is willing to work the way you want him to.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
JR I have checked with about 15 pond owners in that area (surrounding 50 miles). All but two dug out their own pond (to have dirt for their house foundation). The remaining customers both had a "family" pond that had been around for as long as they could recall.
Sorry I have not had any luck, but I will keep trying for you. Like Greg said above maybe you can get a list of contractors in that area, and then require a list of customers from each contractor. Each pond should be built to the individual customer's needs, but there are some rules that must carry through on each project.
Hopefully I will find you something soon.

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
It is expensive because I have a lot of dirt to move. There is only 12' of fall across the entire property. I want the pond to be a minimum of 6' deep, 12' at the dam, so I have to remove about 4 acres of dirt 8-10'. How many yards is 40 acre-feet?

I have plenty of good ole Ga red dirt to build the core with. Then I'll have plenty of the lesser dirt to taper the back side of the dam to a 4:1 slope or better. Then I'll have plenty of dirt left over to fill and build up the landscape aroung the pond. Then I'll still have dirt left over...Hey, anybody want some dirt? \:\(

As for the land value, I have already made as much on the property as the pond will cost. I figure the pond will add half again. I wouldn't and couldn't put this much into it if I didn't look at it as a long-term investment. But won't it be great for me as long as I live there! \:D

I also didn't say I was going with that bid. I have had bids from $65k to $320k. I'm not going with either of those either. I hope I can get it done for around $100k. ;\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jersey:

As for the land value, I have already made as much on the property as the pond will cost. I figure the pond will add half again. I wouldn't and couldn't put this much into it if I didn't look at it as a long-term investment. But won't it be great for me as long as I live there! \:D

This is assuredly one of the best things about pond building. Good job.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Jersey, is some or most of your dirt moving off site? With the growth in your area the contracror might be "double dipping" charging to haul dirt and then selling it. Happened to me not long ago, live and learn.

Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
Jersey,
40 acre feet = 64,533 cubic yards.

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Most of the guys who have taken the time to shoot some grades before they gave me thier bid have had figures around 80-100,000 cu yards. Any way you look at it, it's a bunch of dirt.

I have place to put any and all of it, mostly smoothing out the back of the dam to 4:1 or better. The dam is about 500' across.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Jersey,

FYI, my one acre pond cost me $7500 two years ago. That was without landscaping, the well I put in, or any other extraneous stuff.

Is this someplace your going to live, or just flip?

Just curious

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Nope. This is for me. I hope to be here for 10-12 years.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??