Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,099
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad), 709 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#152937 03/10/09 01:47 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I couldn't find a previous post on this subject, so if there is one please point me in that way... If there isn't one, well answer away!

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in ordering fish from a not so nearby fish hatchery and received their fish via UPS overnight or other similar delivery manner? I am looking into getting some fish via UPS overnight from Ken's Fish Farm in OH. Now granted, OH isn't that far from VA but I am just curious how it works out? Thanks!

Last edited by CJBS2003; 03/10/09 02:30 PM.
CJBS2003 #152940 03/10/09 02:16 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Theo did that with SMB fingerlings.
I did it with crays.

edit;
(as in: shipped them via overnight air freight)

Last edited by Brettski; 03/10/09 02:17 PM. Reason: what I did with crays
CJBS2003 #152941 03/10/09 02:16 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
What kind of fish are they Cj? Just out of curiosity. I have nothing constructive to add other than I alway thought fed ex was the king of overnight.

JoeG #152942 03/10/09 02:23 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It maybe FedEx... I guess the final method will be up to Ken's. Mostly HSB and RES.

Brettski, I saw you did it with crays. My experience with them in a bait bucket is as long as they are kept in something wet and kept cool, they will live a long time. How did your paper shells take hold in your pond, any kind of mortality other than the few who died in transit?

CJBS2003 #152943 03/10/09 02:34 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No morts were ever found at the pond. I don't spend enough time working the water to say that I have seen nary a one since I put them in. I assume they are out there somewhere. ???

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Perhaps this was the wrong location to post this? I would have thought more people would have had experience with having fish sent to them via UPS/FedEx Overnight...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Andersons shipped the GSH Fry last year via FedEx. They came thru fine. They wanted me to get them into the water as soon as they arrived, but that wasn't possible, so I had them shipped to work and put them in as soon as I got home (3 hrs. later). Can't tell for sure whether any survived or not because of the pond renovation last year. But, I only lost 3 BG, so something went right!

From our (work) dealings with shipping companies (and we build trucks for both of them) we've had better luck with FedEx as long as it's not FedEx Home Delivery.

Both have a guarantee (FedEx and UPS), but I'm pretty sure that FedEx is a bit cheaper.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I ordered RES, BG, and blue cats from Overtons two years ago, a pretty good haul from Tennessee. Everything came thru just fine, probably had 20-50/2000 morts on the panfish, none on the blue cats which were about 4-6". Todd had included a bunch of extras to cover any lost fish, definitely got my moneys worth.

I'm pretty sure they were FedEx'd.

Brettski #152964 03/10/09 05:46 PM
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Theo did that with SMB fingerlings.

I got both SMB fingerlings and Gambusia shipped in UPS (IIRC) from Jones Fish.

The only mort apparent was a FHM that was in with the SMB. I think it died of fright.

Gams, out of the box but still in their double bag:

Releasing Gams:

Gambusia-eye view:

SMB in the innermost shipping bag:

SMB being released:

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 03/10/09 05:55 PM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I brought SMB in from Hartleys. He shipped in an Igloo cooler with Ice packs. He called the day they shipped for a heads up & called that evening to see if all was well. Did'n loose a one.
I brought YP in from NY. They came in a cardboard box .. no ice. I was waiting when the driver delivered opened them up & the water was very foamy with several morts. I retrieved prob. 50 out of 100 confirmed dead from the holding pool the next day. I think they all died.

Last edited by Ric Swaim; 03/10/09 06:05 PM.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Time of year and ambient temperatures will have a big affecton survial rates. Cooler the water better the survival. In cool weather, I'm had fish survive well using even 2 day shipping.
Air freight can work good if you are near a large airport and can pick up the package when it arrives at the airport. It is important to not overcrowd fish or too big of fish into a box. Fewer and smaller per box ship better.

Ken's Hatchery in OH? Who and Where is that? Do you mean Ken's in GA?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/10/09 07:38 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I couldn't find a previous post on this subject, so if there is one please point me in that way... If there isn't one, well answer away!

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in ordering fish from a not so nearby fish hatchery and received their fish via UPS overnight or other similar delivery manner? I am looking into getting some fish via UPS overnight from Ken's Fish Farm in OH. Now granted, OH isn't that far from VA but I am just curious how it works out? Thanks!

CN,

Do a little background check on the hatchery or fish supplier you are planning on using before you order. Some are more reputable than others.

I don't have a suggested source for HSB, but Zetts in Inwood, WV (between Winchester, VA and Martinsburg, WV, just off I-81) sold me some pretty nice RES last year. I've also bought a lot of other fish from them over the years. They'll ship, but it is just plain fun to pick them up. If you decide to do this, I'll meet you for coffee.

But, watch out for impostors and shysters.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Bill, I goofed on the name... Seeing a pattern? HAHA It is Jones in OH I had talked to about shipping. I hope to get a shipment in early April, as soon as they have 2"-4" HSB available...

Ken, you said you have had good luck with Zett's? When I look at their website sometimes I get a shady feeling. Like they talk about European strain YP and how they mix white and black crappie together... And there pind stocking recommendations are way way off. That aside, if you have had good experience with them, I will take a closer look at them. They are less than an hour from our hunting cabin in PA and only an hour and half drive from my house here in VA. Probably wouldn't even need to have them ship fish to me at that drive time. Thanks for the advice...

CJBS2003 #153068 03/11/09 10:32 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A couple of years ago when I ordered from Jones, they didn't have the gams at time of delivery (for the fish truck to deliver). They shipped them at a later time (FedEx) at their expense.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
CJBS2003 #153083 03/11/09 11:37 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Ken, you said you have had good luck with Zett's?

The quality of their fish has always been very good, and their prices have always been very competitive, except for trout. (They were buying from the same guy I was buying from.)

Except for when I've bought large channel cats (12-14 inch), the fish have always been packaged and waiting for me when I arrive. They put the fish in very heavy duty plastic bags, along with a squirt of pure oxygen, and some type of calming agent that turns the water Tidy-Bowl blue. The plastic bags are then put in cardboard boxes. But, even when I've bought the larger channel cats, they had them waiting for me in a large aerated tank.

I've never had one single mortality, which is worth something.

I agree with your assessment of their catalog/website. It is also of little use to ask them for advice, as they have some strange ideas. However, everybody there is always extremely nice and very courteous..

I haven't called yet this year, but the largest RES I could get last year was about 3-inches.

If you do end up going up there, give me a hollar, and maybe we can meet for coffee or a coke in Winchester.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sounds good Ken, thanks for the info. I'll be up that way this weekend. I drive through Winchester on my way up to our hunting land in Bedford Co, PA. Lot's of work to be done up there this weekend. I will give them a call next week and see what they have to say. I may pick up my fish from them in person rather than have it sent overnight. I'll have to see what costs are and such.

CJBS2003 #155146 03/25/09 02:05 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
UPS will not accept live fish (according to THEIR rules). Fed_ex will accept them but is outrageous in price, $135+ even with a business account. Delta (Dash) and Northwest Airlines (use rate sheet SCR-0192) have the best rates of $50 minimum plus surcharges $20-50) and average about 4 hours in transit for same day shipping.

Rainman #155855 03/29/09 08:54 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
UPS will not accept live fish (according to THEIR rules). Fed_ex will accept them but is outrageous in price, $135+ even with a business account. Delta (Dash) and Northwest Airlines (use rate sheet SCR-0192) have the best rates of $50 minimum plus surcharges $20-50) and average about 4 hours in transit for same day shipping.

I knew of a large Goldfish hatchery in Indiana that swore by DHL that shipped all over the county. But as we all know DHL is no more. The rule by UPS doesn't surprise me. If it means anything I'm not sure I would want them to ship fish anyway. I've had crated items destroyed that were so well packed someone had to actually try to do that much damage.

I do know at a local terminal they WALK ON TOP of the boxes around Christmas time and at another one I was told by a friend of a worker there they pull out boxes from the bottom of a truck to get them to fall out in one big mass to save time. That would be awfully rough on fish!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
UPS UPDATE!!!

UPS now accepts ALL live fish and crustasions. Here is the excerpt from the new rules released. There ARE additional packaging requirements as well.

From UPS

Accepted / Prohibited Live Animals

Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
Fish (All)
Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
Worms (All)

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered species
Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds (All)
Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
Mammals (All)
Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

Packaging

Design and Construction of the Primary Container: All live animals offered for transportation must be in a new box. Corrugated boxes must be constructed of a minimum of 275 # bursting strength corrugated or 44 edge crush test. It is recommended that any package containing animals requiring moisture during transportation be constructed of water-resistant material such as wax coated, wax impregnated, or plastic corrugated. Minimal ventilation holes should be provided as necessary.

Internal Packaging and Other Considerations: Internal packaging materials must be used based on the characteristics of the animal, taking into consideration the necessary humane care for the animal while in transportation. Lizards and geckos should be individually contained in bags constructed of breathable material, such as burlap. Insects should be contained in individual primary containers such as plastic jars with ventilation. Fish must be double bagged in strong plastic bags with a minimum thickness of 4 mils. Each primary bag should be approximately one third full of water with the remainder filled with oxygen.

Package Testing: Any packaging used or developed to transport animals should be submitted to an International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) certified package testing laboratory for pre-shipment testing in accordance with ISTA Procedure 3A before being offered for transportation.

Additional Considerations: Additional components such as food, moisture, and temperature controls should be added as necessary to provide a safe environment during transportation. Additional dunnage should be added to prevent movement of the primary containers or receptacles within the outer box.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/08/09 11:55 AM.

Rainman #157473 04/08/09 01:50 PM
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
When shipping fish I might write "huge live bee colony" all over the box. That might scare them into being a bit more gentle. \:\)

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Rainman #157496 04/08/09 03:59 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
Fish (All)

Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered species
Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds (All)
Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
Mammals (All)
Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

They say all fish, but I doubt they would accept RES, they're just too threatening of an animal!

I am getting ready to make an order with Jones Fish Hatchery in OH. Will be interesting to see who they ship through...

CJBS2003 #157520 04/08/09 05:42 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
FedEx is the cheapest and most reliable IF you have a daily pick up with an average 15 shipments per day. Almost 70% off retail. Best I can get is 15%.

Rainman #157578 04/08/09 11:10 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My girlfriend has an account with FedEx through the company she works for. Never really had to ship anything, but she says she gets a pretty big discount shipping through the company account.

CJBS2003 #157665 04/09/09 10:01 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My girlfriend has an account with FedEx through the company she works for. Never really had to ship anything, but she says she gets a pretty big discount shipping through the company account.

Same here, but I don't know if the discount was large because we also because built their trucks..... We built UPS trucks as well, but the discount wasn't as great, and FedEx was cheaper to ship thru.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #159983 04/21/09 12:43 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you wnat to make the trek to dulles or reagan or maybe richmond. you can have your fish shipped via air cargo. I've had this done in the past and often times the fish arrive the same day they were packaged and with air cargo there are less hands touching the box compared to all the places fed ex or ups has stops for.

I went thru delmarva aquatic in DE. Talked to skip who is a great guy and helped out a ton. They do carry HSB so if you want to go that route let me know and I can set you up with his contact info.

RB

Future Pond Boss
[Linked Image from i53.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:28 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images