Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 819 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
ewest Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures
overtonfisheries overtonfisheries

#149913 - February 19, 2009 02:23 PM Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures
overtonfisheries overtonfisheries
Lunker

Loc: East/Central Texas
(72.171.0.141) I found the coolest new "lures" recently. They are made by "Stubby Steve" and are an artificial fish food lure. With texture and material similar to sponge, colored similar to Aquamax 600 or standard 1/4" catfish pellets, flavored, and biodegradable. They are perfect for pondmeisters who feed their fish, but will likely work even without feeding program.

I tried them out a week ago on fly rod and caught 5 different species of fish within an hour: feedtrained LMB, HSB, CNBG, Catfish, and Grass Carp.

They stay on a hook surprisingly well!

Each package comes with 20 pellets. Can fish them floating with a #10 fly fishing hook, or can sink them with heavier hook. I caught all my fish on a slow sink.

George Glazener recently had his wife Nicky try some while he used his conventional pellet fly and she whipped him 10 fish to 3.

I will be offering these to pond boss folks at a special price, just to be nice, and offering them to all of my customers as a great new way to catch fish. PM me if you are interested.

Here are some pics: Sorry for the poor pictures.

Stubby Steve's Left -- Aquamax 600 Right

Stubby Steve with hook ready to use

Edited by Chris Steelman (February 19, 2009 03:53 PM)

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

#149919 - February 19, 2009 03:07 PM Re: Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures [Re: overtonfisheries]
jeffhasapond jeffhasapond
Lunker

Loc: Pond in N. Calif, Me in S. Cal...
(70.181.200.115) I think I've gone partially blind. I can't see the photos at all.
...Hedley Lamar (that's Hedley not Hedy)

#149939 - February 19, 2009 04:43 PM Re: Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures [Re: jeffhasapond]
Yolk Sac Yolk Sac
Lunker

Loc: Nashville
(199.91.37.33) Originally Posted By: JHAP
I think I've gone partially blind. I can't see the photos at all.

I think this can be explained by the fact that you've reached the age of colonoscopy, given that you're a married man.

#149972 - February 19, 2009 07:38 PM Re: Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures [Re: Yolk Sac]
Theo Gallus Theo Gallus
Lunker

Loc: Central Ohio
(216.96.73.60) Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Originally Posted By: JHAP
I think I've gone partially blind. I can't see the photos at all.

I think this can be explained by the fact that you've reached the age of colonoscopy, given that you're a married man.

LSHIFIMP!

I think Young Man tweaked the pics a little, 'cause I can see them now too.

I've been waiting for something like that to come out commercially. Where is the stuff available from?

Non carborundum illegitimatus!
(totus res in temperantia)

#149983 - February 19, 2009 08:10 PM Re: Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures [Re: Theo Gallus]
Sgt911 Sgt911
Lunker

Loc: Houston and Giddings, Texas
(76.30.203.8) https://www.stubbysteve.com/simplestore.html

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

#150166 - February 20, 2009 12:47 PM Re: Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures [Re: Sgt911]
ceadmin ceadmin
Lunker

Loc: Central Iowa
(12.206.88.247) I wonder if they will do well on a public lake.

#150222 - February 20, 2009 05:40 PM Re: Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures [Re: ceadmin]
Cecil Baird1 Cecil Baird1
Lunker

Loc: 4700 N HWY 33, Ligonier, IN
(64.184.41.242) Is that 20 pieces for $5.00? How long do they last on the hook?

Edited by Cecil Baird1 (February 20, 2009 05:41 PM)

"A man went to a zoo. The only exhibit was a dog. It was a Shihtzu."

#150227 - February 20, 2009 06:17 PM Re: Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures [Re: Cecil Baird1]
george1 george1
Lunker

Loc: Plano Texas
(96.226.27.160) Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Is that 20 pieces for $5.00? How long do they last on the hook?
Cecil, ours lasted 3-4 landed fish per pellet.
I believe that Overton may offer discount for forum members
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

#150230 - February 20, 2009 06:44 PM Re: Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures [Re: george1]
catmandoo catmandoo
Lunker

Loc: Hampshire Co., WV
(74.47.218.119) It will be interesting to see if and how Bill Cody responds.

He certainly changed my view on using feed pellets as bait. I've used them very sparingly ever since. I did use them with my trout last spring, but I mostly quit using them for catfish and bluegill, fearing that they will stop coming up for pellets during feeding.

When the fish aren't very active, and we want a fish fry, we find that gummy white bread (like WonderBread) works pretty well when formed around a hook.

Maybe this is subject for an additional thread. But, for a while, I stopped using "soft" plastic baits like artificial worms and grubs after finding them in the stomachs of a couple of my skinny fish, after a PB article, and after one of the presentations at last year's conference. But, I returned to using them after I realized just how few soft baits I actually lose to fish.

However, I have really restricted the amount of Gulp products that I use. I was losing a lot of it to fish that didn't get pulled in, and I was worried about its effects.

#150238 - February 20, 2009 07:13 PM Re: Fantastic New Pelleted Fish Food Lures [Re: catmandoo]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I just recieved my package of Stubby Steves pellets and put them through a 21 point inspection....Oh my goodness! They blow every other pellet based bait out of the water. Berkely hatchery chews dont even hold a candle to this stuff. pellet flies are no more! I wont waste my time anymore experimenting with making my own pellet concoctions.

It tastes, smells, and looks exactly like aquamax 600. Hooks super easy and stays on the hook awesome!

I use alot of Berkely Power Eggs for trout fishing in my ponds, in the current river in Missouri, at the white river in arkansas, and soon to be lake tanneycomo near branson, but I will most likely stick exclusively with Stubby Steves pellet lures. (or I will use a combination of one power egg and one pellet lure for trout)

The pellet actually makes a nice chum slick by dispersing pellet powder into the water!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I didn't realize that I was supposed to put my fishing gear through a 21 point inspection. Man I have so much to learn.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Got mine from Todd last week ................. really nice. I haven't fed since late November but it attracted the BG. I have used 2 baits and fished them for 3 different days. Something snapped my 4# leader or I would have only used one bait. \:\)

I will continue testing after the cold front(50 degrees) moves thru.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
As the inventor and manufacturer of Stubby Steve's fish food lures, I felt compelled to write to the participants and express my gratitude. When we developed our product I had one ultimate goal, to be accepted by some fishermen as a unique and functional fishing lure. I was scared of rejection even though I felt confident in its attributes. The Todd Overtons, George Glazners, and Nate Hermans of the world have done alot to alleviate my anxiety. The fact that just a few experts in the aquaculture industry have given my product a thumbs up is so very gratifying to me. So I feel my goals that I orginally set have been accomplished. I'm now entering the "icing on the cake" phase; can we be fianancially successful? Because everytime someone says a nice word about my product, I want to send them a free case, I have been removed from any future fianancial decisions by my sidekicks. I truly feel like I am among friends when I read the Pond Boss Forum. Thanks for all your kindness. When I feel more comfortable conversing with individuals that have much more fishing expertise than me, I will give my opinion on the minor controversy about whether using pelleted lures make fish food shy. I bet you know where I stand. Thanks for making us at Stubby Steve's feel like we are one of the guys.

Addicted reader,
Steve Munsey, aka Stubby Steve

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Welcome, Steve!!

I'm looking forward to trying your creations this summer, to harvest tilapia and also to get rid of some grass carp.

You must be a very capable inventor and entrepreneur. I wonder if I could suggest that you come up with a pellet that would spontaneously combust when exposed to the specific gastric juices produced by the green sunfish. I believe there would be a real market for such a product with some of the more experienced, erudite members of the forum.

I would suggest that you christen the new product the "TomG Special"

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks for posting steve, sounds like a great product. i would be interested to try it this spring.

yolk, i have forwarded yer chatter to appropriate people. you will be hearing from us.

GSF are people too!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
You guys are over the top.
Thanks for joining us, Mr. Steve.
I will place an order with Todd.

Last edited by burgermeister; 03/03/09 09:15 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yolk,
I think you are definitely right on about the grass carp and tilapia!
I know where there are some HUGE grass carp swimming around, and the new pellet fly will work pretty good on 'em!

Steve,
Welcome to the forum. How about you figure out how to post photos and start a thread with some of your fish pics! I am anxious to see them, because if you invent a pellet based fishing lure, I am guessing you know a thing or two about feeding fish.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Welcome to the forum Steve from a fellow Virginian!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hi Steve, congratulations on your business venture and welcome to the forums.

I will caution you to ignore the postings of certain members of this forum however. I won't mention any names here (it's Yolk, that's who I'm talking about, and Rainman, watch out for anything posted by him as well) but there are members of this forum who, how shall I put this, are one Brady short of a bunch, two feet short of full pool, one species short of a stocking plan, one diffuser short of an aeration system. You get my drift here. Just be careful while participating in this forum. Associating with the wrong crowd will get you noticed by people whose attention you don't want.

Just a friendly suggestion from a concerned citizen.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hello Stubby, welcome to the best fishin' hole forum in the world.
I am a fly fisherman ... period.
I've been fishin' pellet flies for years and driving the "purists" crazy - but - so be it ...
Match the hatch.

I have caught tons of feed trained fish on pellet flies, whether foam or genuine AQMX, and they work.....!
Last week was my first real test due to weather conditions, I caught CNBG and RT on AQMX and "Stubby" flies, and they both worked equally as well.
The "Stubby" gets the nod elimninating time spent on tyin' the pellets in Cecils's panty hose...

For the folks not accustomed to tying their own flies this will be a big help, whether om a fly rod or spin rod woth pellet under a bobber.

Thanks for a great new product and keep parsticipating on the forum - no matter what some of teh guys say about fihin' with pellet flies ...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Thanks for the warm welcome,
I know enough to know I don't know enough to be conversing with great fishermen that visit this forum. It wouldn't take long to show my ignorance and hence ruin any credibility I might have. I will not use this forum to talk about my product but I will give a little background...

I did most of my R + D on 2 - 1 acre ponds. My pond contains a healthy population of HSB, Rainbows, brooks and browns. My pond is 6 years old. I hand feed my fish Aquamax 600. I am pretty much in touch with numbers, mortality, etc. It is a catch and release pond. My fish seem to grow faster than my expectations. For four years I have fished exclusively with Stubby Steve's trying to work the bugs out. My pond is my life. I follow all the rules (aeration, water analysis, etc). It seems, I have caught every fish in my pond several times (or a few dumb fish a bunch of times). If there is any change in food acceptance, I can't detect it. Each year when I top off my trout I usually add 3 or 4 golden trout, even though they are notoriously elusive. I do this because of their extreme visablilty. I've learned a lot about rainbow feeding habits by watching my goldens. Last spring I was lucky enough to catch 2 of my 3 goldens in the same afternoon (I try to put 3 different sizes in). That evening when I fed my fish, my 3 goldens fed as aggressively as the other fish. I know this is quasi-scientific at best - but this is as much science as I can render. Please don't interpret this as expert testimonial. There are probably others who have had opposite experiences. I actually developed this product to teach people to fly fish and really catch fish. It snowballed from there.
My 2nd test pond has BG, cats and LMB. It is self-sustaining with some supplemental feeding. Although I haven't tested as intensely on this pond, my results are similiar as on my pond. The catfish are older, wiser and more elusive.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'm going to sit back and learn from the experts.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
 Originally Posted By: SS
It wouldn't take long to show my ignorance and hence ruin any credibility I might have.

Don't be worried about exposing your ignorance here, Steve, I mean, we've got guys who think green sunfish are GAMEFISH on this forum.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I will cover up the previous post before this thread goes to woo woo.
Mr. Steve, I really like your product.
Please send my free case to Burger Meister
P O Box.............

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Welcome Stubby Steve, and good luck with your fish food lure.
I see your also into trout, which are even better than GSF,(blasphemy).
You have a fellow trout meister in Virginia, his handle on this forum is "ML Smith", give him a shout.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
SS I send you a PM. I have not heard back just letting you know interested in getting some for my clients.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Fish Wife got me a few bags of Stubby Steve's for Father's Day. I will be trying them out this Summer (in between hayfields) and will report back. They sure look like AM 600 pellets.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Theo

Any updates for us?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
See how to use Stubby Steve's pellets as a hook straightener. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy