Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
Our pond was built in the late '70s. It is 4 or 5 acres, spring fed, and approx. 15 to 20 feet deep. About 5 years ago there was a leak and just about all of the water drained out. Come to find out the pipe that runs through the bottom of the dam to the drain valve rusted through. There is a "T" in the horizontal pipe with a pipe running vertically to the desired water level that acted as an overflow. The leak was on the horizontal pipe between the "T" and the valve. We sealed off the valve side of the "T" leaving a 90 degree elbow running up to the overflow. Apparently this worked b/c the pond level rose a considerable amount, but is still about 4 feet lower than rhe pre-leak level. We just recently sealed off the "T" by dumping quickcrete down the vertical overflow pipe. Apparently this worked b/c the overflow pipe is now full of water, but it did not solve the problem b/c the pond remains at the same level. Water is still coming from the pipe in the backside of the dam. Seems like our only option is to try plugging from the pipe on the backside of the dam. Any suggestions?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the forum clemsnwill!! I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions besides mine. Pictures will help a great deal to give more ACCURATE help. You can find out how to post pics by clicking on the "Common Questions and Answers" threads.

The safest and surest way to repair this is to breach the dam and replace the pipe with PVC and anti-seep collars. This is not an area you will want to "kinda" fix. If the dam were to fail during a large rain event, you will be liable for the resulting flood and damages. You could possibly make a temporary fix by draining the pond and digging into the wet side of the dam and sliding a new pipe through the existing one then compacting around the new SMALLER pipe.

Water flowing under the levee is surely causing a lot of erosion and after 5 years, I would imagine only the weight of the dam is what has kept it from failing so far.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I'd seal or plug up the pipe and install a syphon. A lot safer and cheaper than breaching the dam, and you don't have to drain the pond.

How big is the pipe? Could you put a deflated football or basketball in it, then pump it up?

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What kind of pipe at the exit? Corrugated or smooth wall? ID and/or OD? How much water is exiting....approx? (how many 5 gal buckets per min)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ps; what are your plans for an overflow?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
pss; Welcome to the Pond Boss Forum, Clemsnwill

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
How much water is comming out of the pipe?
How big is the pipe?

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
the pipe is corrugated. about 10 or 12 inches in diameter. i'm considering using an expanding foam sealer of some sort. maybe get a can that has an auto release/flow option. the tricky part will be getting the can far enough into the pipe. the dam is about 35' across at the base so i think the plug should be at least halfway (the middle of the dam). i think this will be possible if i run a piece of pvc to the halfway point then push the can of foam sealer through the pipe to the midway point. what are yall's opinions on using expanding foam sealer. i like the basketball idea...........

"across" at the base of the dam being from wet side to dry side. therefore the pipe is approx. 35'.

i'd say the flow is about 5 gallons per hour (or less) regularly, but after a rain the flow increases proportionate to the amount of rainfall.... ie: the heavier the rainfall, the more water flowing from the pipe.

the pond has a designed "emergency" overflow around the side of the dam. once i get it plugged i plan to add a pvc drain in the area of the overflow to make it the normal spillway and prevent erosion.......

Last edited by clemsnwill; 01/23/09 05:27 PM.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Is draining an option? If the leak is in the middle of the dam, there is a lot of damage/danger to overcome. Also how much of your money do you want us to spend for you? \:\) \:\)

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Lets think about this. 5 gal of water per hour is not enough to make the level of the lake to fall, at least to where we would see it.
Have you had enough rain to fill the lake? Could it be leaking any other place.

C
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
C
i'd rather try all of the cheap options first.

no 5 gallons of water per hour is not much at all, but when it does rain, the flow is a lot greater than that. after it rains, the water level rises for a few days (while outflow increases), and then returns to the previous level.

honestly i cant decide how/where it is leaking. all i know is when it rains it flows pretty heavily out of the drain pipe at the base of the dam.

Last edited by clemsnwill; 01/24/09 07:57 AM.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
clemsnwill, the hydraulic pressure will increase as the level rises. I also doubt you fully sealed the stand pipe. Maybe the valve is leaking too.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
clemsnwill, did you look down in the stand pipe before you filled it with concrete to see if water was coming through the valve or flowing down the pipe through a rust hole? If you filled with concrete with water flowing, the current probably washed a small tunnel through while it cured. I have poured sawdust by the 50 gallon drum down around leaky valves before to stop small leaks. If you are still able to pour concrete down the stand pipe, you can by a pipe plug from aquacenter.com that has a rubber bladder that is expanded like a boat plug to stop the flow wile you fill the whole pipe with concrete.

-HH

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images