Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Here are the visible results of the partial fishkill I discovered in my main pond yesterday at the beginning of ice out. The totals of dead Lepomids were 46 BG and 7 RES, all between 8" and 10.5" long. Most were in very good shape and a couple were the biggest BG I have ever seen from this pond. There were also about a half-dozen small, 3" or so BG morts as well, but NO LMB, CC, GC, or HSB were found dead.

I am assuming I had a low O2 event during the 6 weeks of ice cover that occurred during January and the first part of February, even there WAS a (sometimes small) hole kept open by my windmill aerator 95+% of the time.

My new pond, with 200 fingerling YP and 75 fingerling SMB, plus 40-some adult BG and RES in the same size range that died in the old pond, exhibited absolutely no large fish morts during this period (I did find 2 dead Gams and one dead FHM in it).

1) I'm on my way to becoming a full fledged aquaculturist ("Kill a million fish").
2) Bruce Condello was right, I DID have 10" BG in this pond. \:\(

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Dang, sorry to see that - you had some nice fish.
I'm serious with this question - what did you do with these morts?

Just do it...
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Theo, condolences. I have that nightmare. You still have large BG in the pond, right? Some of the 10" are still there....? You've got to put that on deadbluegill.com.. er, bigbluegill...

What's the plan to change things next year to make sure this doesn't happen?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Wow! That would have been one fine fish fry! Sorry for your loss...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm just as sad as if these were my own fish. \:\( \:\( \:\( \:\(

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Sorry to see that Theo. Using them in the garden?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Theo, I feel your pain - it took me 4 weeks before I would return to the pond and the dead fish had been cleaned up by then.
Welcome to the club that no one wants to join:
"I'm on my way to becoming a full fledged aquaculturist ("Kill a million fish").

Take my word for it, there are more suvivors than you now think, and believe it or not, it's fun starting over - after the lump in your stomach goes away.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Flags flying at half mast over here.

If we were all sailing on Captain Ahab's ship, this would be a bad omen indeed.

They always come in threes. We have yours and wivells already.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Sorry Theo. It was such a harsh winter, I'm sure there were a lot of winter kills this year! We all share your pain.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oh! Serious bummer!

I feel pretty fortunate. I was able to walk an ice-free pond yesterday for the first time since sometime back in early December. No evidence of any mortality.

The thing that probably helped me this winter was that we kept getting snow melts that brought a lot of aerated water into the pond through a culvert that is well under the ice. There was also enough runoff and melting that the snow on top of the ice kept melting and turning the top of my ice relatively clear.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
If this is the worst bad news I have in 2009, it will be a good year.

Randy: After netting out the ones above (there were a half-dozen or so that were mostly eaten already, those I left alone) to measure and photograph, I kicked them off them the dock for Mother Nature's Cleanup Crew.

Aaron: I sure hope so. AT LEAST there are plenty of 6"-7" BG (and RES, I hope) remaining to spawn this year.

I hope to have electric aeration hooked up to both ponds before next Winter. Based on an idea from Cecil, I want to have shallow water diffusers for non-supercooling Winter aeration in addition to the regular deepwater diffusers for Summertime. I plan on switching (and adjusting airflows) between all the diffusers in both ponds with ball valves.

I will also continue removing large CC with extreme prejudice. (They didn't die, but they HAD to use up some of the O2, right?)

Rainman: It is too easy for me to haul horse manure to the garden to salvage any dead fish for it. Our dogs would probably not leave the fish there anyway.

george: I think your experience and example are one of the reasons I made it through this calmly.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
\:\( - -

From reports it sounds like this will be a common problem for many this year. Its not just the ice and snow but also rapid water temp changes. In large water bodies temps change slowly but in ponds it can be much more rapid and fish just can't acclimate in time. The good news is growth should be rapid for the survivors.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
If this is the worst bad news I have in 2009, it will be a good year.

Randy: After netting out the ones above (there were a half-dozen or so that were mostly eaten already, those I left alone) to measure and photograph, I kicked them off them the dock for Mother Nature's Cleanup Crew.

Aaron: I sure hope so. AT LEAST there are plenty of 6"-7" BG (and RES, I hope) remaining to spawn this year.

I hope to have electric aeration hooked up to both ponds before next Winter. Based on an idea from Cecil, I want to have shallow water diffusers for non-supercooling Winter aeration in addition to the regular deepwater diffusers for Summertime. I plan on switching (and adjusting airflows) between all the diffusers in both ponds with ball valves.

I will also continue removing large CC with extreme prejudice. (They didn't die, but they HAD to use up some of the O2, right?)

Rainman: It is too easy for me to haul horse manure to the garden to salvage any dead fish for it. Our dogs would probably not leave the fish there anyway.

george: I think your experience and example are one of the reasons I made it through this calmly.

It seemed as though it was only the larger RES in our pond that were affected. No sightings of dead YP or SMB - hope to keep it that way

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Man bummer. Did you find the RES with the tag in it? The remaining fish will put on serious weight with the diminshed competetion.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I double checked all the RES, Greg, and none of them had tags or apparent tag scars. Maybe my 6 pet RES in this pond are still OK.

Yes, the silver lining will be increased food supplies for remaining sunfish.

-S. M. Stirling
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Theo,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Just like Bruce and the others we can all share in what a disappointment this is for you. When I found I may have lost my fish, not only was I bummed about that, but the federal government had already put me 2 years behind in my goal of consistently producing large perch for Bass Pro Shops. My former supplier used to supply me with 10 to 12 inch female perch annually for a $1.00 each and thank you very much APHIS, that is now history due to VHS testing costs. If I would have had a massive fish kill I would have been put back another two years.

I'm glad to see you have a plan as I do to prevent any future fish losses.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/13/09 01:31 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Theo- Sorry to hear about your fish. I truely feel your loss. I lost my whole 1 acre pond last winter. I don't know if I could handle that disappointment again this year.

PS I know my liver couldn't handle it again

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
I feel your pain. I just returned from my pond and found a similar situation. Haven't completed an inventory yet but found many dead BG, HGG, LMB, CC and RES. Hoping I don't have a 100% loss but it is not looking good. Pond was built in 2006 and stocked in spring 2007. Thought this would be the first summer I'd have some real decent fishing. Looks like I'll be restocking instead. Would like any tips anyone has to offer.

Gary Franks
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: glfranks
I feel your pain. I just returned from my pond and found a similar situation. Haven't completed an inventory yet but found many dead BG, HGG, LMB, CC and RES. Hoping I don't have a 100% loss but it is not looking good. Pond was built in 2006 and stocked in spring 2007. Thought this would be the first summer I'd have some real decent fishing. Looks like I'll be restocking instead. Would like any tips anyone has to offer.

Shallow water diffuser next winter! I think we need to discuss this at the fall convention. Ted and Susan are you listening?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Make sure you get a good assessment of what is left before you restock.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
glfranks, is a 'Welcome Aboard!' warranted or have you been with us for a while?

Welcome aboard anyways!

That makes the third omen, and all from OH/PA to boot.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading this forum for a while but just posted for the first time. It always has a wealth of info and I generally can get all of my questions answered just by reading. Needed to vent a little after the kill though.

Gary Franks
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: glfranks
Needed to vent a little after the kill though.

Next time, we vent first and hopefully avoid a kill.

-S. M. Stirling
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
First off sorry about the fish kill. Seen it a few times and don't wish to again. It does bring up a lot of questions in my mind.

Do you have any theories as to why you didn't lose any of your predator fish? I remember that you manage your pond to keep the predators lean and mean so that the bluegill reach large sizes. Can a skinny bass get by on less O2 than a fat BG? How about HSB? I thought they would be even less tolerant of a low O2 event than your other fish. I don't know how old your GC are but it don't take them long to get big so how did they make it? BTW at what depth is your diffuser?

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Airstone is at 3' -4' for the Winter.

Quote:
Do you have any theories as to why you didn't lose any of your predator fish?

No, I was kind of hoping I'd hear some here. ;\)

-S. M. Stirling
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away