Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver
18,525 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,006
Posts558,429
Members18,525
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,597
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
4 members (tim k, Dave Davidson1, jim100, Lina), 926 guests, and 163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gallop Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Ok guys, the wifer says I have enough hobbies, but here it goes

I live on 10 wooded acres in Gainesville, Fl. I have been interested in putting in a pond since we moved in a few months ago. I was casually surfing the net when i stumbled upon this site.

I have since spent the vast majority of my awake time on this site. IT IS AWESOME!

I have already ordered the "perfect pond want one" Book

I have also just ordered my subscription to PB magazine

I am very excited about all of this but I realize because of my location/ permits/ city regulations, let alone my "sinkhole" soil- I may not be able to put a pond in, or at least not the 1/2 - 1 acre pond that I am envisioning.

I have contacted our NRCS, the response has been underwhelming thus far, But I am optimistic.

Questions

1. Of all the posts I have read, none have been from Florida pondmeisters, any idea why?

2. I have searched the net and this site for pond builders in florida, can't seem to find any that do anything bigger than a fancy pants coi pond. Does anyone have any #'s of reputable folks in my area.

3. Work with me here. My wife thinks this is a dumb idea. I keep telling her about how much the kids will enjoy it, the fishing, Etc. She keeps talking about gators, snakes, fish hooks in various body parts. If I get this past the boss, please tell me how much money her next kitchen remodel is going to cost me. Please include formula used for said calculation, and any ideas on how to convince the wife this is a good idea.

P.S. I already know not to tell her how much it will cost. I have been practicing the line "Sweety, It's only a hole in the ground, in fact they may pay us for the dirt they take away!"

Any info much appreciated,

Pond addict with no pond,

gallop

Bonus idea- I could use the threat of building a pond here to leverage buying hunting and fishing land in georgia- please discuss merits and pitfalls of this approach

No I am not ADD, yes I should be on medications

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Gallop, That is a great first post, you already fit right in with this crew. Welcome aboard!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Gallop,Welcome aboard.As Dwight said,you're going to fit right in around here.
Now,for a little bad news.I went to the PondBoss conventionlast year and it cost me kitchen,bath,dining and livingroom remodel.And to make matters worse,NO pond privilages and No beer for a month(she thinks).Dont offer that kind of bribe,its not worth it.And besides,it eats into your pond fund.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Hi Gallop, and welcome!

I remember a few years back a fellow on the TBN (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums)built a pond, but I don't remember the outcome. What some people do in sandy soil is set aside all the clay they dig up, and later use it to line the pond. It gets a little expensive, but it can work if done properly.

To help promote the idea, ask your wife how much she pays for a bottle of water. Then tell her your pond will hold several million bottles of water. \:D

Say, you wouldn't have a cousin in California named Jeff would you?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: gallop
1. Of all the posts I have read, none have been from Florida pondmeisters, any idea why?

Alien abduction is my theory.

2. I have searched the net and this site for pond builders in florida, can't seem to find any that do anything bigger than a fancy pants coi pond. Does anyone have any #'s of reputable folks in my area.

Yes, several, oh wait you said reputable people? No, never mind then.

3. Work with me here. My wife thinks this is a dumb idea. I keep telling her about how much the kids will enjoy it, the fishing, Etc. She keeps talking about gators, snakes, fish hooks in various body parts. If I get this past the boss, please tell me how much money her next kitchen remodel is going to cost me. Please include formula used for said calculation, and any ideas on how to convince the wife this is a good idea.

Formula #1

A. Total estimated pond cost multiplied by 125%, label this computation A.
B. Divide Computation A by number of years already married, label this Computation B.
C. Muliply Computation B by the estimated total number of future years of marriage, label this Computation C
D. Add to Computation C the total estimated cost of divorce proceedings.
This equals the estimated cost of your kitchen remodel.

Formula #2

What ever your wife says the kitchen remodel will cost.

Most of the time you get stuck with Formula #2.

P.S. I already know not to tell her how much it will cost. I have been practicing the line "Sweety, It's only a hole in the ground, in fact they may pay us for the dirt they take away!"

Keep practicing, also learn to sleep with one eye open.

Bonus idea- I could use the threat of building a pond here to leverage buying hunting and fishing land in georgia- please discuss merits and pitfalls of this approach

Becareful of threats, especially if she does the cooking.

No I am not ADD, yes I should be on medications

Join the club.

Welcome aboard Gallop, we're glad you found us.

Sincerely,

Your long lost cousin Jeff

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 02/06/09 03:28 PM. Reason: dang that took four tries to get all of the quote blocks right.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Gallup, welcome to the asylum! Order your meds with Gayle when you subscribe.

IIRC there were a couple members that hailed form Fla..........but I think the gators got em.

I liner may be a good option for your area. Keep calling the NRCS and ask for a date-specific time to meet them at your proposed site. If that fails, as a last resort, ask to speak with their supervisor.

G
gallop Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks for the replies guys, I can tell this is going to be a lot of fun

Dwight
Love Minnesota, my wife and I flew into Ely and canoed and portaged through the boundary waters for 10 days a few years back. Looking forward to doing it again soon with the kids.

Tom G
One meeting costs you a whole house remodel? I thought what happens at the PB convention stays at the PB convention

bobad
I will check out that website, The bottled water idea is great, except I may end up drinking pond water from here on out

JHAP( aka cousin jeff)
Truly brilliant mathematical calculations. Fatal flaw of formula #1 is that if I build a pond my future years of marriage will = 0
Formula #2 rings a bell, I think it was part of our wedding vows
I look forward to confusing and amusing the rest of the forum with you

Rainman
I am going to stay on top of the NRCS until I get them to check out my land and proposed site.

Question: Is a liner a viable option on a 1/2 acre pond?

As a side note I was google earthing around and I found a neighbor with a pond hidden in the woods. I think I just made a new best friend, will try to pay a visit over the weekend.

Thanks again,

gallop

A
Lunker
Lunker
A

Question: Is a liner a viable option on a 1/2 acre pond?

Yep. I'm sure some people on here have 1/2 lined ponds. You can do it for ponds much bigger than that.

Check out the resource section for a couple of companies that sell pond liner.

Also, you can see some of the project sizes of Colorado Lining.

I didn't use them, so can't comment. But liners can solve a lot of issues.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm fashionably late, as usual, but welcome to Pond Boss Sir Gallop!

I don't have any personal experience with pond liners, but from what I've heard and read, it is feasible for a 1/2 acre pond. Obviously, the bigger the pond, the more expensive the liner + installation. But what's some extra cash if it means a hole in the ground actually holding water.

I've been married 1.5 years, but I've already figured one thing out: it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! \:o I told my wife to add up what I spend on hunting and fishing each year and do whatever she wants with the same amount. I see yours chose the kitchen remodeling route--smart lady.

What exactly about your soil concerns you--is it sandy?

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
G
gallop Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
aaron m
Thanks for the links, will check out the lining info on the site as well.

davatsa
I wont say my soil is sandy, but instead of buying my kids a sandbox, I just fencd in the entire yard. I actually haven't done much deep digging on the property, so It may get much better deeper. Even though I am in north Florida, I am not quite north enough to get into some Georgia clay. Need to call the NRCS guy again monday

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
gallop
Welcome to the forum. You did the right thing in getting the book and magazine.

You will love this place.

You will need to see how deep the water table is. Your pond will more than likely be filled from groung water.

If you can get the goverment to help that will be great, in most places they are over worked and under paid.

Otto

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Since you have accepted JHAP as ypur long lost cousin,your standing has dropped considerably around here.Perhaps you should choose your friends more carefully in the future.He just wants to get invited fishing when you finish your pond.I,on the other hand ,bring my own beer when I come fishing.Ill be in Biloxi next week,will the pond be stocked by then?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

G
gallop Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Otto
First your name is a palindrome, very cool

I am sure that this info is here somewhere, but do I just dig a hole until I hit water, or is there a fancier way to determine depth of the water table?

Any experience with Florida pond building or folks to recommend?

Tom G
My standing from "great first post" to "dropped considerably" occurred rather quickly, reminds of my dates in college

JHAP is invited to fish anytime, He will need very tiny hooks for the FHMs

I left a note for the neighbor with the pond, hope I get to pick his brain soon.

thanks
gallop

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Mr. Gallop, as an employee of the state of Tennessee, I feel that it is my duty to stick my nose in your business and to remind you to do this the right way. One cheater in your state is enough.
Coach Lane Kiffin.

Last edited by rmedgar; 02/08/09 02:43 PM. Reason: misspelled cheater.

Just do it...
G
gallop Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
rmedgar
I see that you have heard about our football team \:\)

I can tell you are associated with GA and TN because of your spelling (cheater?)

Don't make me spank you like our SEC comish spanked Coach K
;\)

Seriously though, I don't envy coach K, he has big shoes to fill.
See you at the games next year?
Your welcome to fish my pond any time, but you must use only orange and blue lures

gallop

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Gallop welcome to PB. You can get liners that size. There are a few folks from Fla on the forum. Soil test holes would be a good idea. See these 2 threads.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3956&fpart=1

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=120375&fpart=2

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
gallop, sorry about the misspell - I'm sure many people didn't know
what I was talking about!!! Good luck with the new pond......

Just do it...
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
gallop, Welcome. Lots of smiles so far with this thread.

Mr Otto is the dirt moving expert here (and everywhere). From what I have seen in my visits to FL from Orlando south when you dig a hole there is water like magic. If that is your case then building a pond in that type of ground means (at least to me) using a large track hoe or crane/drag-line and just digging a bowl or baking dish shaped hole as best as possible. If that is your situation then maybe a 1/4 to 1/3 acre pond is more feasable and economical than 1/2 ac or larger. From my experience with a pond that size (1/4-1/3) in the north it can raise YP and or YP/SMB (another post topic - Types of Fish TC). RES, coppernose BG, and LMB would also easily work if YP/smb combo plan fails.

There should be a governmental employee in your area/region that is a soil scientist. Most states have them; ask about him at the Soil and Water Conservation office. This guy should be able to enlighen you about the feasability of what type of pond you can build in your soil strata/profile.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/08/09 05:27 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
G
gallop Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks, I will call soil and water consrvation office mon and update.

gallop

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Gallop, welcome. I can't really be helpful here as I'm not married (thus I only have to convince myself and that took all of 2 seconds) and went straight for the hunting/fishing land in GA with 3 ponds. Of course, 3 wasn't enough so I just had an old dam repaired in the course of putting in a 3,000+ ft driveway and made pond #4.

However, why don't you convince her that you must dig anyway as the local sinkhole inspector came by and recommended you put in a pond now or risk a huge sinkhole in the future. "A perfect pond is so much nicer than a nasty old sinkhole, don't you agree Dear?" An ounce of prevention....

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Worked in the panhandle and on the east coast.
A pair of post hole diggers will dig deep enough to tell you how far it is to water.

G
gallop Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
edinbowen
I have a friend in GA who is currently keeping an eye out for hunting/fishing land in GA for me. I think property values will continue to decrease and will hopefully be ready to pounce on a good deal. Very jealous of your land/ponds

Unfortunately my wife is smarter than I am so sinkhole prevention = divorce preparation

Otto
I have a post hole digger ready and waiting in the garage. Will start digging test holes and give updates. Hopefully with pics, if I can figure out my wifes fancy camera. Thanks for all the help!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Have her take the picture, that is what I do.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Unfortunately my wife is smarter than I am so sinkhole prevention = divorce preparation

Contact JHAP and have him tell you how to inform your wife whos the boss.That should get everything straightened out for you.(Unless he's getting the cast-iron skillet lesson from her again.)

I subscribe

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Welcome aboard Gallop. I'm impressed, you know what a pallindrome is (had to ask my 12 year old). As Toma noted, avoid cast iron in the kitchen remodel and if your wife is anything like mine, hide your firearms. I got lucky as my wife loves to fish so I can't help you with the math. JHAP can but you have to put up with his salespitch as to the wonderful attributes of the GSF.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
FOOTCUSH, MikeyBoy, rick fisherman
Recent Posts
BG sex?
by tim k - 05/12/24 07:01 AM
curly leaf infestation
by jim100 - 05/12/24 06:25 AM
Frustrated
by Boondoggle - 05/11/24 11:40 PM
Forest Pond in the White Mountains