Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,946
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bill Cody, Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, highflyer, Theo Gallus, Lake8), 1,010 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Im trying to decide what is in my best interest for my ponds. I have a 4 acre pond and 25 acre that my goal is growing trophy bass.

For this post Im more concerned with the 4 acre pond. My plan is culling out a stunted bass population, adding 1000 3-6" CNBG, and adding Florida genetics in that order.

I will also, Depending on if I get the stunted bass under control by May be adding Tilapia at 10 lbs per acre. If Im not comforatable with my culling process at that time I will wait untill next year to add the Tilapia.

Ok thats my situation with this pond... Back to the original question. Im tossing around whether feeding or fertilizing or both is in my best interest. I understand fertilization as far as benefits and consequences of DO losses and the fact that you have to stay with it once you start. One pro of fertilization though would be I could maybe get a Tshad population going.

As of now I don't really know what it would cost to fertilize a 4 acre pond for the growing season. Thats a big issue! I'd think it would be high.

Feeding on the otherhand seems to help out the forage species greatly also, maybe not as much as fertilization, yet it doesn't seem to be near as difficult to regulate and doesn't have most of the negatives that fertilization has. Correct me here if needed.
My question here would be, on average, how many ponds of feed should I use per day realistically?

I guess im just not real sure if I want to dive off into the fertilization kick but would like to do something. Its one of those things that if I haven't done it, it sounds probably harder than it turns out to be, who knows...

Fertilization cost? Feed cost?

I guess I need a little advice on what to do.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
As far as fertilizing, I would recommend using water soluble fertilizer (easy to put out). Prices on fertilizer have increased and seem to still be increasing somewhat. For a four acre pond I would say 160 pounds of fertilizer would get you through the year. The cost of that much fertilizer would be $320 +/- around here in Georgia. Of course all of this depends on how much water is flowing through the lake, alkalinity levels, etc. If the lake needs to be limed then that is another cost.

For a feeding program you will have to consider the price of a feeder and cost of feed. As far as how much food you put out per feeding, I would not get to scientific about it and just feed enough food so that the fish can clean up all of the food within 5-15 minutes. As far as how much food you will need that all depends on how often you feed. In some areas of the country fish may feed actively for 10 months out of the year or only 5-6 months. So by the time you buy a feeder and food it will be more expensive than fertilizing (considering the pond does not need to be limed).

If your goal is trophy bass, I highly recommend feeding and fertilizing. To have a trophy bass fishery you are going to need more than bluegill. Having a fertile pond will allow you to have a good threadfin population and eventually gizzard shad. If have a good bluegill population along with tilapia, threadfin shad, gizzard shad, etc. those bass should be putting on some serious weight once you get the bass population thinned out and back in balance. So for a trophy bass fishery if the budget allows, I would feed and fertilize. Could go on and on about this subject but need to get back to work.

You can't judge a fish by looking at the pond--Bo Diddley
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It is not an either or question. You can do both , neither , one or any combo. There is a difference in their effects. Feeding I think puts more lbs per cost into BG but not TShad. A good plankton bloom is a must for shad. Excluding the feeder cost IMO they are about the same cost for me (lime + fert = pellets). There are a lot of obvious variables. See this from the archives

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...5b8bf#Post96127

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
thanks for the help guys

Ewest I am aware of that post and have read others.

Yeah I understand the either or both or none. I have feeders and thought I might feed about 3lbs a day. 600lbs per year = say $300 per year and 300lbs of forage fish extra.

Also i don't know if the T-shad is so crucial being that Im gonna stock Tilapia. Maybe so... They supposedly reproduce more than CNBG and Tilapia combined.

Once again not against fertilization but was just wondering if I can produce as forage with feed as fertilization. Is this possible?

Also, doesn't feeding do the same as fertilization as far as water goes. I've just read were some people overfeed and there pond water goes bad. What actually happens here.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
No feeding can not produce the same amount of prodcution as does fertilization. Either if overdone can cause bad water quailty and possible fish kill. You might look into a good aeration system as well.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Fertlization works on the base of the food chain while feeding works further up the chain near the top. Fertilization is not an all or nothing concept. For example if you have clear water you can fertilize just enough to get vivibility to 36 inches as opposed to 18. That might increase the productivity 100% vs 300%.

"wondering if I can produce as forage with feed as fertilization" That would depend on how you measure the result. Fertilization will produce more overall biomass but feeding can put on more weight directly on adult BG and or LMB - of course depending on amounts of feed and lake size etc.

Last edited by ewest; 02/05/09 09:41 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/24/24 06:22 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM