Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, catscratch, Ponderific2024), 1,056 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Hi there, I'm just getting ready to stock this spring and I'm at a crossroads. The DNR will stock my pond this FALL for around $50. They will stock 700BG,100CC and 300RES per acre and come back the next year and stock 100LMB per acre. These will be fingerlings, and they explained that I should not take fish for 3 years to ensure that they spawn and establish reproduction.

My other obvious choice is to buy fish this spring and stock them. One worry I have is letting the pond sit all summer with no fish to control breeding mosqitoes. I considered just stocking some fatheads but I was told that if I have any fish in it they will no longer stock the pond.

I'd like to know any pros and cons to stocking the smaller fish (besides saving money!).

Midwest Dave, 3.5 acre lake, 47 acres timber & CRP.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Dave, I don't know about Il. but if Missouri stocks your pond, it is considered "waters of the state" until all the fish are killed.

I would always suggest buying your fish privately for better genetics and no state hassels.

Others will help with stocking sizes and qty's based on your goals.

Lunker
Lunker
One way to help make this decision is to figure your "dream stocking" - everything you would want wrt species, size, and numbers - and then get a cost (estimate) for it to compare with DNR's $50 tag. I am sure the difference between the two in cost will be much, much less than the cost of the pond.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I agree with Rainman, once the Govmt. gets its hands on your pond, it'll be a long downhill ride. Then they'll probably raise your taxes for having waterfront property! Don't let them near your pond.
Just my biased opinion. \:\/

Last edited by adirondack pond; 01/07/09 04:45 PM.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Dave I sell fish for a living however I tell my clietns to get the "cheap state fish". We then supplement forage and they then go with my bass b/c I think they are superior. Just b/c you get the 700BG,100CC and 300RES per acre you do not have get the bass and you do not have to listen to the bull about waiting three years. you can add fathead minnows along the bluegill or really anytime priro to bass stocking. This is a quick answer b/c running out the door but email me if you would like let me know your goals and I will give you my 2 cents. good luck

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Don't underestimate the potential for the state fish to be less than what you want. For example GSF and HBG in with the BG. I think from past experience that the state hatcheries are not so concerned with what they turn out vs. a quality private hatchery with its reputation to uphold.

I would not let state fish anywhere near my ponds and am picky about the private sources I use. A batch of bad fish is a huge mess to fix in both time and money. A few hundred $ is nothing compared to the aggravation and wasted time and $ fixing a mistake.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Ewest good point. I have to say while GA fish are tiny (about 3 lbs/1000) vs out 1-2 inch fish 8 lbs/1000 I have never seen anything but BG in BG batch. I also have seen private hatcheries with trash fish in their mix and I do not use those any longer. I do take pride in what we del to our customers and I appreciate you being one.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Midwest Dave,

As far as I can tell, you've heard both sides of the story now. I don't know how IL regs work, but in MO, the pond must be void of fish to be eligible for the stocking EXCEPT for the presence of fathead minnows. In otherwords, the state allows you to stock fatheads prior to receiving the fingerlings. The otherwise absence of fish is just to ensure that the state's investment of fingerlings isn't quickly consumed be hungry predators. Stocking the fatheads is done to help accelerate growth.

Free is usually good, but using your own source for fish will give you piece of mind that you can do whatever you want down the road without potnential ramificatons associated with state law.

The reality is that states (at least MO) give little attention or thought to your pond once its stocked, and you will probably have no problems. It just boils down to economics and whether or not you want potential involvement with Big Brother. I'm pretty anti-establishment and would therefore pay for my fish and never look back.

As far as stocking fingerlings vs. larger sized fish, it boils down to time. How long do you want to wait to begin using your fishery? You're going to have to wait longer by stocking smaller fish.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
Lunker
Lunker
I would buy fish and make sure that you keep your reciepts.

In NE if you get fingerlings from the state then state fishing regulations apply, this year the state of NE changed it's 12" minimum size on LMB to 15" on private waters. This is now big a problem if you need cull overcrowded bass from your pond, it now requires special permission from the state.

\:\(

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dave, keep this in mind. Stocking of fish is going to be the least expensive part of the journey. If you don't do it right, it can become the next to the most frustrating part. The most frustrating part can be the water quality or lack thereof. OK, leaks are also killers.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks Shorty, I talked with the DNR and found that it doesn't matter if they stock the pond or me, state regs still apply regardless! Kind of bummed there's strings attached even if I pay for everything. I also have to buy a license because I don't live where my pond is at. The DNR explained that really the catch/length limits in my situation only apply to bass anyway, because if I transported too many/small bass and got checked, how would I be able to proove where they were caught? Doesn't apply to RES,BG,CC because there aren't any state regs on them.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks Swawn, and I don't care for a lot of gov't in my life either.

The DNR here will stock my pond the first time, then they are gone and then the same state wide regs apply for everyone in IL. I was told that many years ago they had a provision that I would have to let people fish if they stocked my pond, that is no longer the case.

You are correct on both counts. I could stock fatheads only and be ok, and it really boils down to how fast I want to fish!

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Everyone - I appreciate all of your advice!

It sounds like for a few hundred dollars I get moving on my pond a lot faster and potentially avoid some fish quality issues. I think our DNR does have a good hatchery going though, so for me its a time issue more than anything as I don't think I'm going to feed.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I guess out of all the typical fish you catch in IL pond, I love big bluegills. Well, big sunfish in general.

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
I love big bluegills. Well, big sunfish in general.

General Condello will be contacting you ...

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Excellent, thanks for the help!

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Stick with a private fish supplier. You'll be glad you did. Not to mention, you'll be supporting an industry that helps makes this place possible. \:\)

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
I
Lunker
Lunker
I
Stock your own fish bro. What they stock, they own.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
My neighbor got little minnows not fingerlings from the DNR. I am sure the DNR made money off that little deal. He even had to go meet the fish guy 20 miles away. I learned from his experience and got them from the grain elevator.

In my opinion paying $50 for 1200 little minnows would be a ripoff. I also think that is a myth about the DNR owning the fish or something. Maybe it would be true if they were giving them away for free.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Hawkeye
I also think that is a myth about the DNR owning the fish or something. Maybe it would be true if they were giving them away for free.

Not a myth for most states, fre or otherwise. There are almost always strings attached whether it be following state fishing regs, required fishing (they can't require allowing trespassing), can't sell the fish, can't add any other fish, etc.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
With Illinois - and I can't speak for any other state, the only catch is you cannot have any fish in your pond (except FHM) when they are stocked. The reasoning is because they are so small they would all be eaten. Once the DNR provides you the fish for $35 + $1 per acre after that, there are no strings attached. I checked into it thoroughly. The real question is do I want to start with bigger fish or wait a few years for these.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Midwest not sure why you would not go with my advice get the state fish cheap then add you some larger ones from private hatchery a little later.

FOlks I sell fish for a living but try to be fair, each state is diff on what they consider theirs. In reality many are like Ill the state considers them their fish no matter where they came from. Many do not want to deal with state. Im glad that is the case, others miss the small window when avail. However if timed right and they live close by and want to take time to pick them up then I say fine go with it just follow my plan and buy more if that fits in ther goals.

Keep preaching private stocking though it keeps us in business.

Last edited by Greg Grimes; 02/02/09 11:34 AM. Reason: typo

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
If you can't afford to buy fish from a known hatchery with quality fish then and only then I would consider taking state fish for a first stocking. You only get one chance to do a first stocking of a pond unless you are starting over. Studies show that the first fish stocked into an empty pond grow the fastest, are the ones to become the trophies of the pond and set the genetic quality standard. They set the entire base of the fish community until you renovate the pond (start over). With that in mind I can't imagine doing a first stocking with tiny fish of unknown quality unless that was my only choice. Sorry Greg I have to disagree.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Eric glad you disagree and great points. I will remember those when trying to convince clients to buy our fish.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
Lunker
In NE it is best to buy your fish and keep your receipts locked in a fire proof safe. State regulations apply if the state provides the fish, if your pond is connected by inflow or outflow to other bodies of water where state fish "might" gain entrance to your pond, state regulations also apply if you cannot provide receipts as proof of purchase. If you buy your fish, keep your receipts, if there are no outflow or inflow issues you are free to ignore state regulations and harvest your fish as you like.

Our current state regulations were changed for 2009 and all LMB under 15" are now catch & release, private ponds included. Special waivers are now required from the state if you want to cull any overabundant LMB under 15", that is unless you have receipts for all your fish and no inflow or outflow issues.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
FWIW: Midwest Dave is correct as to IL regulations for getting fish. I don't remember the size of his pond; but I would compare prices and probably go with the state supplied fish with some purchased from selected breeders to add into the mix.

I have pics of some Rosey Red fathead minnows that arrived mostly dead and with a whole bunch of other fish types (plus a crayfish) included. I bought those from a fish breeder. You can't just assume that you will get better results from a breeder vs. the state so I would most certainly take a look at all the fish (from whatever source they come) before they went into the lake. The supplier made good by sending another shipment; but I purchased from Anderson's the next time and inspected them closely (and was much more impressed).

I would also - to the greatest extent feasible - ensure that fish won't be able to get into your pond either upstream (flow into your pond from a stream or another pond) or downstream (swim up your pond's overflow) from a stream or another pond.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM