Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#104026 12/29/07 03:08 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Often it is beneficial to know the water temperature at various depths in your pond. A few reasons to know these temperatures will allow you to:
1. find a thermocline, (cooler water layer)
2. determine if your pond needs an aerator due to formation of thermal layers that do not mix in summer,
3. determine how well your aerator is mixing or turning over the pond, (top to bottom temps will be more uniform the better the mixing); remote areas may not be getting well mixed.
4. determine if you can run your aerator less time and still have adequate water mixing each day,
5. locate deeper areas where spring water might be flowing into the pond,
6. measure deeper water temperatues during winter or ice cover to see if there is any supercooling (below 39F).
7. detect any warmer water zones near bottom in winter
8. find the preferred temperature of fish in deeper water

Sub-surface water temperatures can be measured with relatively low cost electronic temperature sensors that have a probe attached with a wire to the battery powered hand held unit. Now until March 31 2008, Cabelas has the following Minn Kota temperature sensor on 50% off sale for $9.99 (orig price 19.99). If you have one of these units you may want to buy a second one as back-up, replacement, or a gift. I think these discounted units are close-outs and are being replaced by a newer $20.00 version that can be seen in this link.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...requestid=57747

Sale priced unit below has a 20 ft probe cable and operates with a AAA 1.5 Volt battery. Sale in Cabelas Sale Catalog ends on March 31,2008. Sale items have limited supply. If you want to order, Sale Catalog ITEM NUMBER IS: NJ-01-3663. Catalog code number is NJ-160A. Cabelas toll free phone is 1-800-237-4444.

In the photo I have a copy of the catalog ad plus my Temp Sensor that I've had several years. I attached a lead weight to the probe end to quickly make the probe sink. I marked the sensor's wire with colored tape to identify specific depth increments. I use a piece of foam as a base to hold the unit and to wrap-up the wire to keep it more organized.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/29/07 06:26 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Thanks. I got a Cabelas gift certificate for Christmas. Just placed an order which included a sensor.

M
Fingerling
Fingerling
M
The Water Temp Sensor mentioned at Cabelas is now $7.99. The trick is to use just the numeric portion of the item description in their search feature and it will pull up the most current price. The prefix is now 'OJ' i/o 'NJ', but might change again by the time someone else here buys it.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I just found this post... A little late I know, but! I own one of these. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...0003&hasJS=true Not sure how accurate the DO meter is on it, but the temp meter is very accurate and seems to register quickly. Knowing the temp and DO can really be valuable and interesting!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Plus it has a 50 ft cord, so you can get as deep as one could possibly need to in any reasonably sized pond.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
First off thank you Bill Cody for posting that info.

Could one of the pro's discuss the device that CJBS2003 posted a link to? Is the DO sensor accurate? I have been looking at similar devices for measuring o2 and they get crazy expensive. Is the one linked above reasonably accurate? Good enough for an amature?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for posting that link CJ.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have had the device for a couple years now. Mine has held up pretty well. I attached a 16 oz lead weight to it and it takes the probe down fast and keeps it down.

I also use it to measure the temp and DO of the big hole in the creek behind our hunting cabin(trying to see if trout with hold over in it during the summer). The readings I get both temp and DO wise seem to be reasonable.

It is excellent for finding the thermocline in lakes that I fish. Makes trolling for trout a lot easier. But I really don't know how accurate the DO sensor is on it. The temp sensor from what I can tell is extremely accurate.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Can you calibrate the oxygen sensor and change the elevation?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, there is a mode where you can change the elevation on the unit. It goes by 1000's feet...

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
No one with prior experience with a device similar to the one I posted?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I've been patiently waiting for an expert to discuss this device as well. If you read the reviews of it they are not very positive.

I would like to see a shoot-out test of this device against a professional quality O2 meter.

I wish someone would invent a reasonably priced do all water quality testing device. Theo stop messing with rockets and such and get busy designing something, give the plans to Dwight - he can build anything, then have TomG fine tune it. Get busy people, you've got work to do. Don't make me walk around with my management clipboard.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I wish someone would invent a reasonably priced do all water quality testing device. Theo stop messing with rockets and such and get busy designing something, give the plans to Dwight - he can build anything, then have TomG fine tune it. Get busy people, you've got work to do. Don't make me walk around with my management clipboard.

I just use canaries.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yeah, I still bought the thing even though it had some bad reviews. I have had very good luck with it and this will be going on my third year of use with it...

I know the temperature gauge works on it as it compares well with my other thermometers. The big question is if the DO meter is accurate. It sure is fun to go to local ponds and lakes and drop the probe to the bottom and test the clarity, temp and DO at different levels. It has really helped me with the fishing.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
CJ, have you tried taking readings with the O2 meter, then use a chemical test for O2? If the meter is close it sure would be a great tool and save alot of time.
The price is very reasonable, maybe that should be my next purchase.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I haven't but something I should look into. If they are close or at least consistent, it would be nice. When the ice breaks I'll have to give it a try...

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
The ProCatch Plus Oxygen and Temperature Meter listed on that Cabellas link does seem to be a very good value at 79 bucks. My concern is that the O2 meter might be way off. I picked up a catalog from Aquatic Eco Systems at the last PB conference and they O2 meters start at over $200 and go up from there. They can be calibrated for elevation and have replaceable membranes - and don't ask me why because I have no idea. All I know is that I would like a reasonably priced and accurate O2 meter.

It seems to me like a test of the above O2 meter would make for a good PB article.

Oh and by the way I am in no way slighting or being critical of Aquatic Eco Systems. I haven't ordered anything from them yet but their catalog is fantastic and it seems as though they carry top notch stuff.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Years ago I bought a temperature/visibility probe to use for bass fishing. I recall it had some type of dissolved oxygen readout on it. However, the probe was completely encased and didn't actually sample the water. It based its DO reading on assumptions (temperature, barometric pressure, etc) and didn't actually test the water for DO. I'm pretty sure the model I bought was similar to this one.

Keep in mind this was more than 15 years ago and my mind ain't as sharp as it used to be.... not that it was sharp then.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I'm thinking the same thing Rob, that the meter above extrapolates the O2 reading and doesn't actually measure it.

See how I used a four syllable word there? Ha, and they said I would never amount to anything!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
JHAP, buy one and then send it to me so I can test it.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I agree, a test and comparison of low cost O2 meters that actually work would be much appreciated. Maybe there is no such thing.
I'm nonplussed. (how's that word JHAP)
The boss won't approve taking out a loan for one.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 02/05/09 12:30 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Looks like a test would have to be done to see just how accurate this guesstimation is...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??