Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,071
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Bob Lusk, LeighAnn, Shorthose, catscratch, Justin W, Requa, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing), 775 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I am in the process of digging out and old farm pond, it had 8-10 ft of mud in it before we got to somewhat solid clay in about half of the pond. About half of the pond will now be between 13-20 ft deep and the rest will be graded out at a 3-1 slope rate except for the deep end that has a solid clay wall of about ten feet before it starts to slope. The pond is 225ft by 210ft. I now think that we are either close to the water table or it is spring fed, in the deep half of the pond the water is rising about 1-2 inches per day without a drop of rain in several weeks. The current deep part of the pond is probably going to stay with deep dozer ruts that are now under water, I think this would be beneficial to habit for the fish. I am planning to put in two five foot tall PVC Pipe trees and I am not sure at what depth to place them. We are planning on put in a fixed structure dock in on the deep end (not sure wood or pipe base). We will be placing rocks or gravel wear the water comes in the pond. I will be running an aerator that will work in about 6-9ft of water with two different diffusers. How soon after the pond fills should I start adding fish? I want to stock it with catfish and bass (will eat more catfish) and would like crappie but I have read that my pond will be too small. Any suggestion would be great.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the Forum BigeaterOSU. Cowboy or Sooner? I went to that former internment camp about 40 miles south of ya in Okmulgee!

The rock will always be a good idea- use 6-15" limestone to help keep the PH up. Pea gravel in 3-6' depths will help with spawns, again use crushed limestone if available.

I would suggest putting your aeration in the deepest part to make your entire water column usable, otherwise your dozer ruts will be of no use except in winter. Use the membrane diffusers- FAR less maintenance! You may want to add a submerged island and a shelf or three also. There are tons of threads on structure here. Large rootballs are great for the catfish if you have any.

You can add Fathead minnows with a foot or so of water, bluegill and catfish early this spring, and Bass this fall. Others are far better than me with stocking rates.

Crappie are do-able if you're willing to intensly manage the pond but they usually turns a fun pond into real work.

If you have any pictures, I'm sure you'll get lots more accurate suggestions. Besides we REALLY like pics!

We all hope you stick around and keep us informed of your progress! Hopefully you can make it to Branson for the Third Annual Pond Boss Conference at Bass Pro's Big Cedar Lodge on Sept. 18 & 19.

Again, welcome!

PS don't let JHAP or DIED scare you into adding those nasty little green sunfish!

Last edited by Rainman; 01/22/09 02:05 AM.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Glad to have you. It sounds like you did a lot of homework already.Look at the pictures that are here and send us some.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
After it gets about 2/3 full I think you can start with some forage fish. However, you need to check your water quality, alkilinity and Ph, prior to stocking.

How big is it and what are your goals?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Welcome to Pond Boss Big, we're glad you found us.

And please ignore Rainman's negative comments regarding the magnificent Green Sunfish, I find this type of trash talk unamusing, unacceptable, unaccommodating, unalluring, unaccredited, unacknowledged, unacademic, unannotated, unadajudicated, and unbecomingly unabsorbent.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
unstand & untalk

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
big, please ingore JHAP. he went to the "Jackie Childs School of Public Speeking, & Journalism".......

Just do it...
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Rmedger, although I find your comments lewd, lascivious, salacious, and outrageous at least you didn't accuse me of attending the Jackie Chan School of Public Speaking & Journalism, so I guess it could have been worse.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Welcome BigeaterOSU,we're glad you found us.Stock big and fish with dynamyte,its a culture thingy. And watch out for bad advice from some of the clowns around here.Now back to your regularly scheduled programming \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
How do I post pics???

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
See this archive thread on posting photos.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Answers-
1. Oklahoma State Cowboy
2. I am trying to make all of my underwater structure out of materials that will not decompose underwater. Looking at placing 10-20lbs rocks around the 12” Culvert exit pipe, the step walls in the deep end and around the secondary spillway. Then use a mixture of large rocks and pea gravel where the water comes in.
3. What type of water test kit do I need to get and where?
4. The pond will probably be between 1 to 1.75 acres, and my goal is to have a good fishing pond that we can harvest the occasional fish dinner (probably catfish).
5. “Hedley” I would doc you a days pay for napping on the job.
6. I will post pics ASAP.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Glad to see you fell in to line with the crew.

Do not join any kind of sun fish club, they are only trying to get your money.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Although Mr. Otto that is true of BISA, just for the record here at the GSA we don't require ANY membership dues. We are 100% supported via extortion, misappropriation, kidnap for ransom, black mail and other time honored fund raising activities.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
For instance, GSA is quite happy with your first born in lieu of cash.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Well yes, that is right Theo. However, the Bylaws have recently changed. At age 12 you either have to take them back or pay heavy maintenance fees.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Darn, there goes my plan to get JHAP off my back AND pay for 4 years of college!

-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Darn, there goes my plan to get JHAP off my back....

First off that'll never happen.

Secondly, that'll never happen.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
What is the best type of grass to plant on the fresh soil around the pond.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Usually, annual rye, wheat or oats can be planted as they grow fast and will hold the soil in place and prevent erosion. They can often be mixed with perennial species that are slower growing but will fill in a last for years with proper care...

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Your local NRCS/Soil & Water office may have a good recommendation of grass mix for your local climate/soil.

-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Looks great, lots of good structure...

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Wow...what a great chronology of photos...really shows the project from concept to fulfillment! Looks like it's setting up to be one sweet fishery - congrats!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails