Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Sgt911 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Title says it all. The section of my pond that necks down is 50' wide. I would like to build a bridge that is strong enough to support a UTV. It doesn't have to be clearspan but then I would have to drive large pilings out in the water. It also has to be high enough for boats to go underneath...I thought about just making a land bridge but I do not want to loose any water area...I'm not asking much \:\)

Last edited by Sgt911; 01/11/09 02:22 PM.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Sgt911, the frame of a mobile home should be able to support several ton without problem.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
something along these lines could be the basis for one: 50' steel beams I don't think wood is going to make it that far without some center supports.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I'm not a fan of mobile home parts for anything. The secret to mobile homes is that they are made light and they are made quickly. They are not designed for allot of travel, and they have a terrible history of falling apart while just sitting still with cement blocks all over the place to support them. I wouldn't even guess what thee frame could support at the center when supported on either end, but I bet it's not going to be very much. Add the lumber to create a deck on the bridge and you're probably near the limits of what the frame can support.

Ideally, a 54 foot flatbed trailer would be perfect if you could find one for a reasonable price. Odds are that it would be a rare find, but you never know.

There are some charts and of course, engineers out there that can tell you the size of a pair of I beams that will support the weight of a UTV at midspan. Once you know the size you need for the beams, the rest should be easy.

Good luck,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
You don't mention a budget but we've done it with pre-cast double-t beams. There used to be a pre-cast outfit down your way. They use these things for the decks on parking garages among other things. http://www.tpub.com/content/engineering/14069/css/14069_253.htm
If it's a "do it yourself" and cost is a big issue then some kind of steel truss is probably going to be the most inexpensive way. For that matter you may be able to find some a couple of steel joist sitting in a yard somewhere like these.
http://www.vulcraft.com/downlds/catalogs/joistcat.pdf

Life’s mostly scars and souvenirs
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
What a beam will hold (yield) isn't the only conderation. A small beam will hold a lot but can be very bouncy. A truss would be a lot cheaper. Check with a steel building manufacturer that builds trusses like http://www.kbuildings.com/spotlight.asp

This company would hang a corvette from one of their trusses at the Farm Science Review to get attention.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
The size of the equipment required to set a truss vs beam will typically be alot less expensive as well.

Life’s mostly scars and souvenirs
J
Lunker
Lunker
J

S
Sgt911 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Jim, that's it..I might have to pick a shorter span to cross, I have another shorter spot but I did want to remove the existing dock, plus it would be cool to drive across the wider expanse. Thanks everyone

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
You don't happen to know anyone in the engineering department of a local college, do you? Looks like a good design project for a young engineer in training. When I was a freshman at an engineering school in Southern New York, I helped out as labor to a senior building something like this for her design project, but it was a much smaller span on a golf course.

The truck trailer is a good idea. You might have more options if you fill in a little bit on the edges to cut the span to 35-40', which will still give you plenty to work with.

Shawn

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Exactly what I was thinking Jim.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
My bridge is 24ft and like you, I wanted boats to be able to go underneath. I called around and consulted with several engineers primarily for the design. I should have also focused on how it would be moved and installed once fabricated. Here are some things I learned that may help:

-Make sure you are able to get the bridge out of the structure where it is fabricated so you don't have to disassemble.
-Have a plan for moving it.
-Know how much it will weigh.

Having never done anything like this before...I learned allot through my mistakes \:\)

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Very nice Cheezy

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
thanks. I would like to add that one disadvantage of an arch bridge is that is becomes difficult to cross when there is ice.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
How about 150 feet?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

W
Fingerling
Fingerling
W
I built a 200ft suspension bridge across the narrow part of my pond. I used 4 inch steel pipe 30 ft long for my uprights. I really don't have a lot of money in it. I had 8inch of wet snow on it and it held. I put lights on the uprights and cable and it looks like the Golden Gate bridge with the reflection in the water at night.
Cooper in NC

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wayne, you may very well have made one of the most original first posts in the Pond Boss forum. I have always thought that a suspension bridge is the way to go for longer spans. Consummate your creative arrival by posting a few pics.
....please?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Plus one on the photo request. Suspension bridges are so cool.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
W
Fingerling
Fingerling
W
I do not know how to put pictures on the forum. Is there a tutorial? I will take some pictures this weekend. I really had fun building it. In fact, I built it 4 times. (I learn real slowly) I will build a new bridge for our new lake. I think I know now how to improve it. I had 8 inches of wet snow on it and it held. It is 4 ft wide,I forget what a friend calculated the weight was, but it was a lot. thanks for the nice welcome
Wayne

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Hang on Wayne,and someone will post a link to the pic post thread.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Common questions and Archives
First topic

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
A 50 foot bridge is very possible with a truss construction. And I bet the truss would only have to be about 4 feet high. An engineering student would be a good place to tap into if you know one or perhaps contact a school and see if a prof has any design students who need a project. Or, I know I have found a web site before that will show you how to design and optimize a truss for whatever load you need. I think you can download the software. Then you can start with whatever material you think you can find and conduct the proper analysis yourself to design the bridge. I'll see if I can find where I got that software but I'm guessing if you google it you can find it.

Last edited by bz; 01/20/09 08:43 PM.

Gotta get back to fishin!
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
I found it, the program is called AMSES Frame and can be found at:
http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/amses-frame-2d-demo.html

I have the free download and it appears easy to use although I have not worked to do a complete design yet. If you are a DIY kind of person and have a basic understanding of structural stuff I think you can do this.

Gotta get back to fishin!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images