Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#145055 01/15/09 10:45 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Am I the only one watching the Barret-Jackson auctions in Scottsdale?

There are some beautiful cars going for cheap considering what it cost to restore/rebuild/customize them.

So many interests, so little time & money! \:\(

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've watched those and wondered how they could build/rebuild them for the prices they go for.

All boyz toyz get expensive.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I get Autoweek, and this weeks issue has a whole article on buying a collector car. This is THE year to buy the more common collector cars, not the one-of-a-kinds or ones owned by famous people/racecar drivers.

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
jeffreythree,

AW and Pond Boss are my two favorite magazines. Though based on completely different subjects, they are written and edited by enthusiasts on their subject matter. That is what makes them great.

I wonder how many more AutoWeek subscribers there are out there?

Bremer Pond Weather
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have tried to watch Barret-Jackson but my boss has gotten very distraught over it. We even have two big screens and still she gets major attitude when I turn the channel to speed. It all started last Christmas when she agreed to let me start restoring my hotrod. I guess she had no clue how many hours that takes. I spent most of 2008 in the shop with grease and bloody knuckles. So Dave you ask were have I been in another thread now you know. Yes you might be a redneck if you use your tractor as a car lift. And don't tell the boss the long hours haven't even begun still needs paint and interior.

This is me getting spanked by a 11.8 sec 127mph vet at the local drag strip.
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/rockytoppers1/?action=view¤t=MOV07194.flv
I don't know about you guys but I don't plan on ever growing up any time soon.
Older boys just get bigger toys as they say.

Last edited by rockytopper; 01/16/09 10:37 AM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I've had my share of classic iron. A basic rule is that you almost never get the amount of money out of a classic car that you put into one. It is usually much cheaper to buy a completed car than to try and build one.

Barrett Jackson is, IMHO, one of the worst auctions to buy a car at. It is way too hyped. They have set record prices for cars there many times. Bidders get all caught up in the hype and overbid for cars.

This is my 1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible. It was a rare car, although it was not a 442 it was custom ordered with the engine and drive train of a 442 (455 motor, TH400 trans with a Hurst Dual Gate shifter, 4bbl carb, dual exhaust, posi-traction with 3.42 gears) and was also custom ordered in Ebony Black with a white interior (this color combo was not a standard color on the Cutlass line in 1972. This photo was taken at the Route 66 Rendevous, we were chosen as a parade car (from over 2,100 cars). Our passenger was Scott Pruett (famous race car driver).

This was my 1955 Chevy Nomad. This photo was taken while Ricki and I were on vacation during the late Cretaaeous Period.

I sold both of those cars to buy some land with a pond and some fish. Was I stupid or what? I'm gonna own another Nomad some day, that was JWHAP and my most favorite car.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My brother has a 67 mustang convertible in mint condition with all the original parts. I will see if I can get another picture from him if anyone is interested. I don't know what I did with the ones he sent me. He bought it off of off Ebay and the price didn't seem that high to me when I heard how much he paid for it.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
JHAP those were both very very fine rides. I bet you are still kicking your A... Don't wait to long on that Nomad or it will take 2 ranches with ponds to buy it back. I sold my 55 Belair 2d ht in 1985 and told myself I will just buy another one some day. Well they are no longer affordable. And then their was that 66 chevelle and 73 Z28, man I wish I still had those, prices have blown thru the roof.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Thanks Rocky. Selling the Nomad was the hardest and in hindsite I wish that I had kept it. But you know how it goes, I wanted to free up some cash to make the ranch purchase. I've be re-looking at Nomads (shhhhh, don't tell JWHAP) for the past six months. Prices have gone crazy, I'm in the wait and see mode now. I've been hoping with the bad economy that the prices will fall but no such luck so far.

The JWHAP comment is a joke, actually she loved the Nomad and knows that I'm always looking.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My farmer pal had a good year 2 years ago (thank you ethanol hype). He took a chunk of his retirement investment cash and bought 2 brand new Shelby 'stangs. He has 'em stashed as an investment. Figgers they're way more stable than the stock market with a much higher ROI.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Please don't tell her I've been watching it all day online she will kill me.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/carlist.aspx?In_Day=Wednesday

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
JHAP, that Olds brings back some memories. I had a '72 Cutlas Supreme with the same color options and 50,xxx miles. Just a 350 though. I was in High School in the early '90's and one of our neighbors offered it to me for $2500. Owned by an Olds dealer owner for many years before being sold to this Olds General Manager. It had a 3" D-ring binder holding all of the maintenance receipts from Olds dealers only. Sold my pickup to get it on the sly thinking the parents would not do anything, possesion is 9/10ths of the law sort of thing. I was wrong, but it was great while it lasted .

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ya know, I built several of those things and never had one with AC. I don't want to build another one. Well maybe another Bike. I have been eyeing a Drone Airplane engine that I can put on a Cushman frame. I tried that in the late 60's but it didn't work. I just know that I can get it to work now.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

For what it's worth here's my twin brother's 67 (I think or 68) Mustang. Mint condition all original parts.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
About 15 years ago I went to a demo derby where a guy ran a very solid looking 59 Impala. I could have choked him. It was completely shot in a few minutes. I wish I had found this guy before he tore it up. I would have traded him a much better derby car for it.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
Am I the only one watching the Barret-Jackson auctions in Scottsdale?

Are you kidding me? I fall asleep watching them 2-3 nights a week!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Rockytopper,

Are you going to keep it street legal or throw some slicks on it and keep it for the track? What color are you going to paint it? Is that a brand new LS1 you dropped in it? Pretty sweet ride.

I got a kick out of your lift. I do the exact same thing with my tractor, including lifting up my Dixie Chopper lawnmower to change the blades, skin my deer, and anything else I can think of when in a dire situation.

In the neighboring town of Braymer, there is an old building on main street (main street is about 300' long) with glass windows. Inside sits an original 55 Belair 2d Hard top. No one really knows where the owner lives anymore except that its somewhere in KC. The locals say that he hasn't been around in a long time. I drove by with my dad a few years ago and he caught it out of the corner of his eye, slammed on the breaks, bailed out of the truck and appeared to be drooling at the window. My old man is a tough as nails, no emotions kind of guy so it was odd for me to see that kind of behavior. I made a mental note to add 55 belair to the list of his favorite things which includes fishing, his dogs, beer, and vienna sausages.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Cecil, tell your brother that is a great looking ride. We also owned a 1966 Mustang 2+2 Fastback that was Ricki's car. She rewired that car bumper to bumper (yep and I do mean SHE, it was during tax season and she did it all by herself). That was the car that I mentioned before that I bought her the intake manifold and carb for her birthday. All of our classic cars were drivers, no trailer queens for us. In fact for about 5 years we only owned classic cars. The Olds above we drove on the 2000 Hot Rod Power Tour - left coast to right coast - we put on over 6,600 miles in 20 days. The Mustang was Ricki's daily driver and the Cutlass was my daily driver. Anytime I went to a clien't site they always wanted me to drive to the lunch location.

Great story on the Cutlass J3, parents can be so unreasonable.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Cecil, I would have guessed a 65 mustang. Definetly not a 68. It could be a 67 if the hood has been switched or a 66 if the crome behind the doors was removed. But I'm no expert.
Beautiful car though!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
In the name of propriety, I shall refrain from making any of the comments Camaro owners often repeat concerning the owners of Mustangs.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Theo wrote:
 Quote:
In the name of propriety, I shall refrain from making any of the comments Camaro owners often repeat concerning the owners of Mustangs.

From the The Quiet Man
"The proprieties must be adhered to at all times!" ;\)
or something like that.
 Quote:
No patty-fingers, if you please. The proprieties at all times.

Last edited by Ric Swaim; 01/17/09 06:15 PM.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Don't tell Gail about this. It is my only secret.

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
Lunker
Very nice grocery getter Dwight, I see why you keep it a secret from Gail, you don't trust her driving to the store without getting a ticket.

My wife saw it and says she would definitely like to drive to the store.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Did you put the ejection seats in yourself, Dwight?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
God loves the Cuda!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images