Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
My first try at video on YouTube of my Tilapia spawning. I'm not much of a narrator though. After the Vids were shot two other Blue Tilapia spawned and all three mixed their eggs for the male to fertilize and then gathered them back into their mouths to hatch. Dozens of eggs wound up getting eaten by younger Tilapia in the 55 gallon aquarium during the confusion that ensued in the mass fertilization.

I was really shocked when I later saw one of the Blue females (Mush Mouth) that had too many eggs, spit out ALL her eggs. When she did this, a Red Tilapia that had spawned over 2 weeks ago, dived in fast, gathered up all the discarded eggs, and is now brooding them as a surrogate. I had gathered the previous spawn from this Red tilapia and used them as forage for some of my CNBG in another aquarium so she must have still been feeling motherly.

I hope some of you find it as interesting as I did....Nature can be very bizzare....

Tilapia Pre-Spawn

More Pre-Spawn with bad narration

Spawning

Edit: The Vids are best viewed if you click the "High Quality" option at the lower right of the video viewer.

Last edited by Rainman; 01/09/09 01:29 PM.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Several comments:

(1) Interesting videos Rainman, that really gives us an upclose and personal view of Tilapia spawning behavior. I feel so dirty now.

(2) Is there a reason that you don't place the male and female tilapia in a separate tank so that you don't have predation by the other tilapia?

(3) "Mush Mouth" should be an example to all female tilapia everwhere, proof that you don't have to be a beauty to get some sweet tilapia lovin.

(4) I think I once played a card game in which one-eyed tilapia were wild, Texas Go Fish Holdem or something like that.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Several comments:
(1) Interesting videos Rainman, that really gives us an upclose and personal view of Tilapia spawning behavior. I feel so dirty now.

(2) Is there a reason that you don't place the male and female tilapia in a separate tank so that you don't have predation by the other tilapia?

(3) "Mush Mouth" should be an example to all female tilapia everwhere, proof that you don't have to be a beauty to get some sweet tilapia lovin.

(4) I think I once played a card game in which one-eyed tilapia were wild, Texas Go Fish Holdem or something like that.

#1-----If you only knew the WHOLE story, you would have showered before replying!!

To answer #2---Space and economics primarily. I never intended to breed the tilapia, it kinda happened because they are hard to find in Mo. and now I can help a few pond meisters get some mixed-sex tilapia at a reasonable cost. A side benefit is that the dense stocking actually reduces the VERY aggressive behaviour of the fish. Before adding 12 YOY fish, fins and tails were constantly being shredded in territorial fights.

#3---No comment needed.

As for #4, that musta been at the last PB Conf.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 01/08/09 11:37 AM. Reason: ixnay on the hombre

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Those look just like the tilapia I put in my pond. I went to Alabama and brought them home in a cooler. But, the guy I bought them from did not know the name of them. Mine are all white. He said he thought they were Rockymountain White but, he was not sure. They have been in my pond since June and so far I have not seen any yoy the smallest ones in the pond are bigger than your hand. Should I be seeing some small ones say like 2-3 in.? I have also not seen any of them on the bed. It does seem like I have more than the 35 I put in. But, no small ones. I am wondering if the bass are keeping them down. I have a 1acre pond with 75 1-2lb HSB. And I put in 75 largemouth the same time as the tilapia. Any comments welcome.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

Originally Posted By: Rainman

It was, I didn't want to mention the location because I though we'd sound like a bunch of pond nerds.

Oh and buy the way, Theo is amazing at bluffing. He's got an unreadable Go Fish face, you just can't read him at all. Kind of drag playing Go Fish with this bunch of guys though. I slapped down a "four of a kind" set of fish and got a fifteen minute disertation on how one of the cards looked more like hybrid pink cartoon fish than pure pink cartoon fish and therefore my set was invalid. That started an entire debate about the likelyhood of the hybridization between a pink cartoon fish and a red cartoon fish. Next thing you know Bill Cody and Ewest are debating the merits of various research studes on pink/red cartoon fish hybridization. Bruce is saying he doesn't care whether they are pink, red, yellow, green or blue cartoon fish, what ever they are he'll outfish all of the rest of us. We think about arguing that point but realize that it's completely true so why bother. TomG is ordering another beer. Heybud is considering new pond names and immediatley rejects my Rockin Monkey Goby name, with very little consideration I might add. Nate is trying to figure out how to film the cartoon fish under the cartoon water. Brettski is busy photochopping yet ANOTHER photo of me. FMB is doing a Caddy Shack impression. Sunil is calling FMB a freak while at the same time trying to collect BISA dues from Aaron. And don't get me started on Aaron, who apparently has never been told that SMB won't survive in the Arizona heat and is willy nilly raising them there anyway.

And Bob Lusk is sitting in the corner wondering what in the world he did to deserve this cast of characters.

And that's only the parts of the evening that I can remember.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: John G.
Those look just like the tilapia I put in my pond. I went to Alabama and brought them home in a cooler. But, the guy I bought them from did not know the name of them. Mine are all white. He said he thought they were Rockymountain White but, he was not sure. They have been in my pond since June and so far I have not seen any yoy the smallest ones in the pond are bigger than your hand. Should I be seeing some small ones say like 2-3 in.? I have also not seen any of them on the bed. It does seem like I have more than the 35 I put in. But, no small ones. I am wondering if the bass are keeping them down. I have a 1acre pond with 75 1-2lb HSB. And I put in 75 largemouth the same time as the tilapia. Any comments welcome.

John, I can only speculate as to a "pond" situation.

Tilapia don't really have a stomach but more of a "bulb". They eat and digest constantly and have a food conversion ratio of around 1.4 to 1, meaning they grow a pound for every 1.4 pounds eaten---Some studies put it closer to 1.1 to 1. Anyhoo, this conversion means that in the unlimited food supply envoirnment of a pond versus feeding, Tilapia fry, upon emerging permanantly from the mothers protective mouth, can and will grow rapidly, several inches in the first couple months. The young are prey for virtually everything in the pond including the tilapia.

When I spend the time and effort to feed my aquarium fish 10-15 times a day, I can get almost an inch of growth a week till the fish reach around 6 inches then it slows dramatically. I don't know if it shows in the video, but some 3 month old fish in the tank are almost as big 1 year old fish, but the younger fish have MUCH smaller mouths.

As forthe coloring, The male Blue loses virtually all normal color but gets dark stripes on the outer edges of the fins while trying to mate---in this guys case that is nearly constant. The Reds are also called Rock Mountain Whites and are derived from a cross between nile and blue tilapia for rapid growth and whiter meat for the food industry. They have pigment but almost appear albino in nature.

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

It was, I didn't want to mention the location because I though we'd sound like a bunch of pond nerds.

Oh and buy the way, Theo is amazing at bluffing. He's got an unreadable Go Fish face, you just can't read him at all. Kind of drag playing Go Fish with this bunch of guys though. I slapped down a "four of a kind" set of fish and got a fifteen minute disertation on how one of the cards looked more like hybrid pink cartoon fish than pure pink cartoon fish and therefore my set was invalid. That started an entire debate about the likelyhood of the hybridization between a pink cartoon fish and a red cartoon fish. Next thing you know Bill Cody and Ewest are debating the merits of various research studes on pink/red cartoon fish hybridization. Bruce is saying he doesn't care whether they are pink, red, yellow, green or blue cartoon fish, what ever they are he'll outfish all of the rest of us. We think about arguing that point but realize that it's completely true so why bother. TomG is ordering another beer. Heybud is considering new pond names and immediatley rejects my Rockin Monkey Goby name, with very little consideration I might add. Nate is trying to figure out how to film the cartoon fish under the cartoon water. Brettski is busy photochopping yet ANOTHER photo of me. FMB is doing a Caddy Shack impression. Sunil is calling FMB a freak while at the same time trying to collect BISA dues from Aaron. And don't get me started on Aaron, who apparently has never been told that SMB won't survive in the Arizona heat and is willy nilly raising them there anyway.

And Bob Lusk is sitting in the corner wondering what in the world he did to deserve this cast of characters.

And that's only the parts of the evening that I can remember.

Are you hitting the Nyquil again?????
\:D \:D \:D \:D

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Tilapia don't really have a stomach but more of a "bulb". They eat and digest constantly and have a food conversion ratio of around 1.4 to 1, meaning they grow a pound for every 1.4 pounds eaten---Some studies put it closer to 1.1 to 1. Anyhoo, this conversion means that in the unlimited food supply envoirnment of a pond versus feeding, Tilapia fry, upon emerging permanantly from the mothers protective mouth, can and will grow rapidly, several inches in the first couple months. The young are prey for virtually everything in the pond including the tilapia.

Very interest stuff Rainman. No wonder the folks that can use tilapia as a forage base are so enthusiastic about them. This food to growth conversion factor seems right off the scale to me. IIRC from one of Lusk's books a LMB has a 10:1 conversion factor (food weight versus growth weight).

Also the rate of growth seems incredible to me as well.

Good stuff.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Are you hitting the Nyquil again?????

Don't be so critical Rainman, we all have our vices. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Jeff you certainly live in the right state but I think your creative imagination is being wasted in the accounting business. That is unless your answer to clients when asked what 1 + 1 equals is the whispered question of "What would you LIKE it to equal?"

You are hilarious and paint a great picture with words! Do you write for Two And A Half Men?

Last edited by Rainman; 01/08/09 12:08 PM.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Jeff you certainly live in the right state but I think your creative imagination is being wasted in the accounting business. That is unless your answer to clients when asked what 1 + 1 equals is the whispered question of "What would you LIKE it to equal?"

LOL, a version of the old accounting joke.

What is the difference between a CPA and a bookkeeper? You ask a bookkeeper what is one plus one and they immediately answer two. You ask a CPA what is one plus one and they respond, What you would like it to be? Well that plus the bill. \:D

You are hilarious and paint a great picture with words! Do you write for Two And A Half Men?

Thanks for the kind words.

Two and a Half Men is one of my most favorite TV shows. That and Big Bang Theory. Back in my martial arts/weight lifting days I worked out once with Charlie Sheen in a small gym in Lahiana, Maui. Unfortuantely I got addicted to Nyquil, developed some other bad habits, and stopped working out. Now I'm a bean counter and he's a big TV and movie star. Stupid, stupid Nyquil.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

Two and a Half Men is one of my most favorite TV shows. That and Big Bang Theory. Back in my martial arts/weight lifting days I worked out once with Charlie Sheen in a small gym in Lahiana, Maui. Unfortuantely I got addicted to Nyquil, developed some other bad habits, and stopped working out. Now I'm a bean counter and he's a big TV and movie star. Stupid, stupid Nyquil.

Perhaps it is YOU Sheen's character is portraying.............Hmmmmmm, potential intellectual theft lawsuit????????

Oooops, my bad, must be the "intellectual" thing that is the problem!!

Just Kiddng!

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Good stuff Rainman. Thanks!

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow; well done, Rainman. Educational.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker