Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,923
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (canyoncreek, ghdmd, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, catscratch, Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, Theo Gallus, phinfan), 840 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Walker
Great input. I really appreciate it. I am going to the store to handle a few and see how they balance, and get a better feel for them. .........

This is the essence of why i recommend the smaller echos for small tree and brush work. after going through the gauntlet of brands, my brother and his crews preferred the echos when climbing and limbing/pruning or working around large brush piles. if you do alot of tree work, i'm sure you have experienced those times when you need to operate the saw w/ one hand. the small echos are excellent for that. (.....chainsaw rookies please dont try this at home....) according to my brother, the echos lasted longer than any other brands despite heavy daily abuse.

the advise about current gasoline destroying plastic and rubber internal components is right on the money. however, i have always stabilized my stored fuel immediately after purchase, and use only stabilized fuel in the gas oil mixture for the saw. i use my saw enough that i dont need to drain it for storage, and i have not had a problem in 10 yrs.

GSF are people too!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Dave I think I should add that in my area they add 10% ethanol at this time. The government is talking about increasing it even further and if they do it will only increase our problems with the gas in small engines.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: JoeG
I find it amusing that the majority of the posters on this site recommend Kubota tractors which aren't cheap but shy away from a good quality chainsaw. my advice is to spend the modest amount of extra cash and get a Stihl and if taken care of it will be the last saw you ever buy.

I have a big field to mow, lots of dirt work, and make a garden every year. So I can easily justify my Kubota. I can't justify an expensive saw sitting in my shop 99.9% of the time.

Stihl and Husky a "little" more expensive than a Poulan or Homelite? Not in my area! Prices in my area are breathtaking, about 4x more.

I still say that 4 18" Poulans will outlast an 18" Stihl or Husky, and cut just as fast. \:\)

My $120 Poulan can do something a Stihl or Husky can't do: When it wears out and it's time to get another (in 10 years?), I can use it to cut tree roots. I bet you wouldn't dare use yours for that!

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
I picked up a Paulan Pro at Home Depot last year to cut up a large elm that had fallen in my backyard. It was the most expensive saw they had there, so I thought it must be good enough for me. I wanted to get a decent one anyway for the new acreage and this fallen tree just sped up my purchase.

The saw was dead in 20 minutes and before I could even finish the job. I returned it and borrowed a friends husq the next day. The project was done in 20 minutes. I'll be spending a bit more for a quality saw when I buy the next one. Full day wasted. Lesson learned.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
addendum...
After purchasing the orange chainsaw, I popped for the orange carring case (named the powerbox) and don't regret it. It has room for everything you'll need for the job, all self contained and picked up with one handle. Shop it out; maybe Ebay.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I had a Craftsman (Poulan) saw that did ok for day to day use. I think it was $150 or so with a case and kit that came with it. It lasted a few years then simply would not run at high RPMs. A repair shop estimated he could fix it for around $100. I passed and bought a Husky 455 Rancher from Farm King. It starts and runs great! I cleaned up 5 acres of tree tops with it. And then I cut around 50 face cords of firewood. One day I ran out of Husky brand 2 cycle oil and didn't want to quit working so I drove into a gas station and bought some pensoil brand 2 cycle oil. I didn't think much about it, but the saw sat for a month - and its never run right sense. I've run carb cleaner though it, changed the plug, air filter and took it to a dealer. They recommended rebuilding the carb for about $80. The moral of the story is don't skimp on anything - you will pay one way or the other.

Midwest Dave, 3.5 acre lake, 47 acres timber & CRP.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
And the Stihl brand helmet/screen/ear protection is the bomb. I loved mine till I ran over it in some weeds with the Kubota last summer. Now I'm back to foamies and safety glasses till I break down and buy a new one.

Midwest Dave, 3.5 acre lake, 47 acres timber & CRP.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Bobad I have an old bar and chain for building demolition and to cut roots with, and usually I cut roots with my Caterpillar D6 anyway. As I mentioned, I wasn't here to upset anyones applecart, but the MSRP of a Stihl MS310 saw when I bought mine 4 years ago was $349, I paid $329 after dealing a bit. I have a friend who bought the same model 2 years later up near Jamestown, NY for $350 out the door. I admit I haven't been to buy a saw in 4 years but I would bet I could still purchase this same saw for under $400 cash today. If your dealers are asking way more they are gouging. We can agree to disagree, but my Stihl will still be here running in 30 years, I count on it, and I have one here 26 years old that makes me believe that. You obviously are satisfied with your saws, and I am happy for you.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Midwest Dave made a very good point about head gear! I have a 3" scar along my eyebrow after a limb slammed into my saftey glasses. Afterward(of course) I purchased the helmet/screen/ear protection hat. I would encourage all to make the same purchase..du

Last edited by david u; 01/16/09 09:18 AM. Reason: added picture

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
O K,lots of good info here.Lets look at a couple of things happening in outdoor power.Stil does not,IMHO, build the quality unit they used to,most 2 cycle companies dont.Husky sold out to Poulan,and they sold to Fridgidare.Homelite was bought out after backruptsy by Ryobi,after they failed and was bought by MTD.Most of the cheap 2 cycle stuff will be gone in a few more years because of emmission control laws coming into effect.Buyer beware.
I would buy from a local dealer you trust.Spend a little more now and save a buch of money and frustration later.
I run an outdoor power dealership and have my choise of everything outthere.Guess whats in my garage?

Echo CS-300 chainsaw with 12"bar
Echo CS-510 chainsaw with 16"bar
Echo PAS 260 weedeater with ALL attachments
Echo PB 200 blower with gutter kit.
Ive tried them all,and in my opinion,you just cant beat echo.
Fuel,Echo puts fuel stabilizer in their mix oil,and some else already commented their oil is better than Stils.Enough said.
I also add SEAFOAM to my gas to take care of ethonol issures.It really does make a differance.
Check out Echo service,they have factory backup second to NONE.
One of my distributers did a survey on sales and service from all their dealers and EVERY Echo dealer asked rated them #1
So if you whant a name,buy it,if you whant to work,buy Echo.
O K,Im off the soapbox now,Ya'll tell me how wrong I am.

P.S. Soeone mentioned fuel lines,do you know Echo is the easist 2 cycle on the market to change?And everyone has had the same problems because of fuel,but thats another story for another time

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Oh,and the warrenty,dont forget the 5 year warrenty.Who else gives 5 years?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
I would buy from a local dealer you trust.Spend a little more now and save a buch of money and frustration later.

That is a great bit of advice Tom. I bought a Husky chainsaw from a small local dealer versus the big box store. The service at the little local store is fantastic. He is reasonable and put's up with me taking apart the chainsaw and loosing parts (ok, I did that once, now I don't take apart the chainsaw any more). I like my Husky even if it is made by a refrigerator company. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Thats why they make"cool" products

I subscribe

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Well, I just talked to Tom and I think he has convinced me to go with Echo and a smaller chainsaw than what I originally had in mind. My previous chainsaw was overkill but it's hard to argue with free. Now to just figure which dealer I want to deal with.

The Seafoam tip is also nice to know. The ethanol issue never would have crossed my mind. Thanks everyone for your advice and tips. Now it's off to convince the bank (my wife) that I need to spend about $100 more than I first told her. I just have to get her away from her cast iron or her pistol first. She buys me Craftsman tools so I think I have a pretty good chance. Wish me luck

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Ok Jeff, being in the park supervisor I will give my 2cents.

We use at work
Stilh 20" chainsaws mod. 260
Echo 12" chainsaws
Stilh stringline timmers, edgers, blowers get the 4-mix

For personal use I bought the Echo stringline trimmer I like the feel better but it will live just as long.

As far as the husky goes we have destroyed 2 at work most likly operator error.

Asterperious
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Like the kid in the Poulan commercial used to say
"It doesn't take a 'big jerk' to start it!" \:D

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Joe, I was mostly funning about the saws. I love fine tools, but try to keep my purchases realistic. If I had to cut firewood, I could justify a Stihl or Husky and wouldn't hesitate to get one. When I bought my Poulan, I thought it would last 3 years, and cost me ~$40 a year, which was acceptable. I got a very pleasant surprise. I cleared 10a with it, cleaned up after 3 hurricanes, clear fence line with it, and it's still going strong after ~8 years. The cost per year is now ~$15 and falling. My previous tractor cost me ~$750 a year, and I'm hoping my Kubota will end up being that cheap.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a 25 year old Stihl. It is a big heavy duty saw and can only be used as a ground saw. In other words, no trimming of overhead branches. I put a new coil in it about 10 years ago and it still fires up by the third pull.

I have a 4 year old Echo that is a pretty good cutter. Now that Tom G told me how to clear the oil line, it cuts beautifully. Or almost; I have had trouble getting quality chains. I've been buying some from the feed store that they make up off of a bulk roll. They get slung off the bar and have almost got me a couple of times. The Echo starts and runs right. Tom is going to send me a couple of good chains to try.

I have found that fresh gas is a huge consideration.

I have worn out and tossed several McCulloughs, Poulons, and a Craftsman.

Cheap saws just aren't worth it. I need something to work with; not on. Nothing upsets me more than pulling on a rope.

Thanks for the advice Tom. I'm going to print it out.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tom, I assume that SEAFOAM is a fuel improver. Right?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

You are correct.And if memory serves,Hank(Echo engineer)Al(Echo service rep)and I had a conversation last year about adding it to the mix oil package at the factory.However,the cost factor beast once again reared its ugly head so it had to go through corporate for additional arthuriztion before final plans could be made.I was at Echo last Thursday but,with all we had to cover in one day.I forgot to ask about the oil.Ill try to remember Monday and ck back with Al and see if he heard any more news.

I subscribe

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

SEAFOAM--- AKA "Mechanic in a can" or "Cough Syrup for Cars"!

As a 25 + years, commercial Auto parts salesman and Seafoam user, trust me when I say, Seafoam is without a competitor as a fuel additive. I will say though for small engines, it is TOO good! If using it AS A STABILIZER in a small engine use NO MORE THAN ONE HALF what is reccommended! Shelf life of seafoam treated fuel is 3 years--Stabil ADDS varnish after sitting 2-3 months. If using it to CLEAN a fuel system, DOUBLE the dose and run it dry.

Burn off a cap-full of stabil on a mirror and you wind up with black sludge as a residue---Burn the Seafoam and you'll have a crystal clear, Jeweler grade oil. Same thind happens in an engine and when fuel evaporates from a carb.

Like the owner/user of Norelco, I would buy the company if I could!

It is also great as a gun cleaner/protectant.

The two best things you can do to improve your fuel economy and increse the life of ANY engine is to ALWAYS use premium WIX filters (on average filter twice as much, twice as small, and have the least restriction) and put in 16 oz of seafoam per 10 gallons every 4 months!

Have some fun with people while repelling bugs, and do the "Induction Cleaning" listed on the Seafoam can!

Edit: Seafoam in left in a system in over-concentrated mixes WILL swell rubber and harden silicone/Tygon.

Last edited by Rainman; 01/17/09 11:43 AM.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I bought a Stihl from a small shop in Ft. Worth. After they rung me up the salesguy asked if I had a few minutes for him to show me the saw. We walked out back to their shop and gave me a quick introduction to the features and service points. He fueled it up and added bar oil and demonstrated the starting tecnique. It was like going back in a time machine. I coudn't remember seeing service like that on such a small purchase since tagging along with my father to by something when I was a kid.

Life’s mostly scars and souvenirs
I
Lunker
Lunker
I
all stihl dealers whether it be farm store or a gander moutain sporting goods store are required to gas /oil the saw and start it for you one time, and run thru the safety checks and such. i have several pieces of stihl equipment and they are by far the best!!!!

chris garton
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Orange = quality, whether it's Stihl or Kubota.

Just my $.02. That and a dollar will buy you a coke. \:\)

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
You will be pleased with a Husky model 350 or so.(not the price) I bought mine from an on line store in Colorado. A good bit less than Home Depot. Easy to start every time. Good vibration damping.

Last edited by burgermeister; 01/17/09 02:00 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?