Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (anthropic, Brev, Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 683 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
 Originally Posted By: heybud
I have eaten possum, rattlesnake, armadillo, squirrel brains, but no raccoon, at least that I know of. Yum Yum it all taste like chicken.

Never in my wildest imagination did I EVER think I would say this but..... I think I'd rather have brussel sprouts.

If it all tastes like chicken for heaven sakes people EAT CHICKEN. Sheesh.

I think Jeff will need to be forced to visit Silver Dollar city and made to eat Granny's possum gravy.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have a rule that I won't eat any mammals that eat meat. Something about the whole concept turns my stomach. I'm not sure why it bothers me and it seems illogical because I have no problem with eating alligators that eat anything, rattlesnake that eat rats (ewww!), and even shark that eat people for cryin' out loud.

No cats, dogs, even bear meat and especially no meat scavengers like racoons and possum.

I have no problem with squirrel, rabbit and would probably be fine eating nutria and groundhog but I'll pass on the squirrel brains.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Trust me Ryan, you aren't going to miss much. Then again what do I know. According to Rainman's post I may have mental issues from drinking out of the garden hose, not to mention the creek. Playing catch with Yard darts was probably not the smartest thing we did. Neither were the BB gun wars. In hindsigt eating the veggies straight from the garden with only a wipe on our t-shirts probably wasn't a good idea. Same goes with sledding on car hoods pulled behind a 3 wheeler (we did wear helmets). Lord knows playing hide-seek in the junk yard probably gave us tetnaus. Ambushing each other with dried pasture pansies probably infected us (but it was funny as hell).

Maybe I should go visit my doctor and get checked for parasites.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Walker
Trust me Ryan, you aren't going to miss much. Then again what do I know. According to Rainman's post I may have mental issues from drinking out of the garden hose, not to mention the creek. Playing catch with Yard darts was probably not the smartest thing we did. Neither were the BB gun wars. In hindsigt eating the veggies straight from the garden with only a wipe on our t-shirts probably wasn't a good idea. Same goes with sledding on car hoods pulled behind a 3 wheeler (we did wear helmets). Lord knows playing hide-seek in the junk yard probably gave us tetnaus. Ambushing each other with dried pasture pansies probably infected us (but it was funny as hell).

LOL I tend to think people that DON'T do those things are a little touched in the head!!!

The car hood sleds were GREAT and even though we tried real hard, we couldn't get the Jarts to stick in anyone (too heavy I think) Also never put out an eye w/BB guns but there were some big red welts on some butts! And I STILL prefer the rubber/plastic taste of garden hose water. How do you know if creek water is safe to play in if you don't do the required taste-test?

There was the time me and my cohorts got a heck of a spanking for using all our parents tournement darts for tag---not because we had several bleeding holes in us----for using the GOOD darts!

Finally, Tetnus builds character!!!!!!!

Last edited by Rainman; 01/15/09 02:13 PM.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Playing catch with Yard darts was probably not the smartest thing we did.

Jarts are best caught using the side-hand-snatch technique behind the fletching.

Neither were the BB gun wars.

My younger brother still has a bb just under the skin near his elbow. He never got it removed because he would have had to tell our parents and then they would have forbidden the game. We had a 2 pump rule but at some point around that time Crossman came out with AR17 single pump that was every pre-adolescent boy's dream gun. It was even more fun while on ATVs.

In hindsigt eating the veggies straight from the garden with only a wipe on our t-shirts probably wasn't a good idea.

Why get your shirt dirty? "dirt don't hurt"

Same goes with sledding on car hoods pulled behind a 3 wheeler (we did wear helmets).

Grain bin lids are more erradic and have a nice lip around the sides to hold on to and usually a handle that makes it easy to tie too short a length of rope to. You can go faster with downhill skiis pulled behind a 4x4 truck at least until you hit dirt.

Ambushing each other with dried pasture pansies probably infected us (but it was funny as hell).

Mom didn't mind the dried ones nearly as much as the fresh ones.

Just hope you have enough that they eat each other instead of you.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
And why do Veegans always want meat flavored veggies????????

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Why would anyone want to eat something called Tofurkey?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I eat my veggies recycled by cow!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Glad to see mine wasn't the only childhood not wasted. Yep, played "Catch the dart" with real darts (Got the scar on my elbow to prove it) Played "Catch the spear" with sharpened bamboo/cane pole (my brother has the scar to show why you never turn your back and run). You think the car hood/grain bin was fun, you should have pulled a old fashioned 2 runner sled behind a 1985 Honday Oddysey (one man dune buggy). The cop clocked us at 50mph before the rope broke and I went sailing off the culvert (I thought we were going to have to pull him back on the sled). He seemed upset we were on the road but how else were you going to pull that sled? Played baseball in the cow pasture (if the ball landed in a fresh one, it was a automatic double and you had to kick it to the pond to clean it off)

And I am proud to say that just yesteday my youngest son nailed his brother with a beautiful long distance shot to the back of the head with a semi-fresh horse dropping. I could have almost stopped the beating if I hadn't been laughing so hard.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Glad to see mine wasn't the only childhood not wasted. Yep, played "Catch the dart" with real darts (Got the scar on my elbow to prove it) Played "Catch the spear" with sharpened bamboo/cane pole (my brother has the scar to show why you never turn your back and run). You think the car hood/grain bin was fun, you should have pulled a old fashioned 2 runner sled behind a 1985 Honday Oddysey (one man dune buggy). The cop clocked us at 50mph before the rope broke and I went sailing off the culvert (I thought we were going to have to pull him back on the sled). He seemed upset we were on the road but how else were you going to pull that sled? Played baseball in the cow pasture (if the ball landed in a fresh one, it was a automatic double and you had to kick it to the pond to clean it off)

And I am proud to say that just yesteday my youngest son nailed his brother with a beautiful long distance shot to the back of the head with a semi-fresh horse dropping. I could have almost stopped the beating if I hadn't been laughing so hard.

Stop it!!!

now I need another keyboard, can't stop laughing, and JHAP isn't even involved!!!!

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Time to fess up - who bumper skied when they were a teenager?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

Teenager????

I had to show my kids the PROPER way to roll when you lose your grip/hit a rock last summer!

Edit----it hurts a lot more and for a lot longer now though!

Last edited by Rainman; 01/15/09 02:39 PM.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My Grandma tried to get my Mom to have me tested for brittle bone syndrome.

I ran into an old classmate a few years ago that said "oh yeah I remember you...you were the cast boy" Since I spent most of 5th through 9th grade with at least one of my limbs wrapped in fiberglass.

It was probably good experience before moving up to fast motorcycles and lifted 4x4 trucks.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J

Did it last month. My wife kept driving after I pushed the truck out of the ditch. It was either hold on and slide on the ice or do a face plant. Of course my wife, being the kind loving woman she is immediately stomped on the brake as soon as she hit dry pavement. Did you know that "Nissan" stamped on your forehead looks pretty much the same in the mirror?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
LMAO!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

Did it last month. My wife kept driving after I pushed the truck out of the ditch. It was either hold on and slide on the ice or do a face plant. Of course my wife, being the kind loving woman she is immediately stomped on the brake as soon as she hit dry pavement. Did you know that "Nissan" stamped on your forehead looks pretty much the same in the mirror?

Back on topic

Does it look pretty much the same in the mirror while eating raccoon?

Last edited by Rainman; 01/15/09 03:06 PM. Reason: My jaws and side hurt from laughing so much!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

presumably, you refer to the urban format: skeeching
-
our tow-behind thrill rides were a garbage can lid, 50 feet of rope, and snowmobile on the lake. Also, a king size bed mattress, 50 ft of rope, tied to the bumper of a 55 studebaker PU.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Brettski,

It's amazing you're here to tell us about it.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Our pups find them very tasty - especially when they are very young. Unfortunately, the older ones fight back something fierce. Somebody better do a welfare check on Catmandoo. Hopefully he is OK. I figured he would have been all over this topic. Ken, where are you ???????

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
BB Gun wars must have been a universal thing. Although I grew up in the city, San Diego has canyons that network through out the area that I grew up in. We used to have BB Gun wars in the canyons all the time. Took and gave many a welt while participating in those. We also use to bumper surf (holding onto a car while riding on a skate board). Skate boards develop a high speed wobble that is very unnerving.

My last skateboard outing was fairly scarry. We have a steep hill by our house that ends in a "T" intersection. I decided to start at the top of the hill and cruise down it. Rather that zig-zag down the hill to keep speed down, I decided to take a rather straight forward route. I had just bought a new "long board" (think long wheel base) style skate board and wanted to see what it could do. So I head off down the hill. Very quickly I pick up speed and the high speed wobble develops and I realize that I'm in trouble. I crouch down on the board to reduce the wobbles and now I'm really moving. And then I realize that the "T" intersection is coming up fast and I'm gonna have to make the turn or crash into a chain link fence at the bottom of the hill. So as I approach the turn I move to the left side of the street to make a right turn to try and reduce the radius of the turn as much as possible. Just as I get to the turn I stand up and jam the board into the turn. I'm going so fast by this time that the stake board enters into a four wheel drift and I'm drifting toward the fence. I realize that I'm running out of street and I'm not going to make the turn before I drift into the fence. So I stay with the board until the last possible moment and the leap toward the fence and try to stay on my feet running. I hit the ground running heading straight toward the fence. My thinking at the time was that I didn't want to bounce off the fence back into the street so about three feet before the fence I leap into the air hit the chain link fence and grab onto it so I wouldn't rebound into the street. I actually managed to hang onto the fence which was violently shaking back and forth. Soon it stopped shaking and I let go, no harm no foul. Then I hear all this clapping and shouting and I realize that all this had taken place in front of about 15 people that were sitting on a balcony. Their house was on the corner of the "T" intersection and they saw the entire event unfold. The were shouting down at me that they couldn't believe that I went straight down the hill on a skate board and then try to make the turn at that speed and that THEN I managed to ride out the drift and grab the fence. I was a skate board legend for about a week.

Oh and by the way I was 40 at the time. Sold my skateboard about six months later and have never been on one since. I drive down that hill every day. Still gives me shivers thinking about it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Our coach in high school used to tie a rope on us and hook it to a car bumper and made us run while driving a increasingly faster speeds. This was to improve our speed. He would stop once we fell so as not to drag us too far. Probably not legal anymore.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

...Oh and by the way I was 40 at the time. Sold my skateboard about six months later and have never been on one since. I drive down that hill every day. Still gives me shivers thinking about it.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
ROFLMAO. Brettski you have out done yourself. I'm saving that one to disk.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Im not fessing up to nothin,you guys already think Im crazy.No need to prove it.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Tom, Tom, Tom, we don't think you're crazy.

We're absolutely positive of it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails