Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Great ideas, everyone. Toss them out now, because I'll start working on the program tomorrow, here at Big Cedar Lodge! Yes, that's right...Debbie and I are in Missouri, in Cabin 565, overlooking Table Rock Lake. We were invited yesterday, dropped what we were doing and headed to the Ozarks. The staff here is having and introductory event for potential conferences to tour the brand new convention facility. We're invited to a reception a 6 and dinner at 7:00 Will report back to you what we can do here.
Let me start with this...we won't need to leave this facility. While it is sprawling, it has too much stuff to do in two days, much less attend a conference.
Tomorrow, Debbie and I meet with Carla Springer and begin to flesh out a prospective schedule and a menu of events which can be done. I would strongly encourage each of you to budget a couple of days before the conference and a day or two afterward to take it all in.
Tomorrow, we will also be assigned an event coordinator who will work with Pond Boss staff and nail this thing down.
This will, no doubt, be an event of epic proportions (by Pond Boss standards).
I hope to be well into the program by the end of the week next week, so throw out all those suggestions. Moderators and other key Pond Boss players, I would like to begin some dialogue about "how" to put together the program. I plan to have good photos of the convention space tomorrow. And, just a stone's throw away is a nice pond where we can do some "hands-on" stuff, electrofishing, seining, water quality, aeration demonstrations, etc.
In the meantime, here's a few photos I just shot of our cabin. Enjoy.

The view off our cabin balcony...to the right, just out of sight, are the main lodges of Big Cedar.

I love to cook...great grill on the balcony. Guys like this kind of stuff, don't we?

This cabin is pretty large, nice, queen-size bed, rustic, yet First Class. Everyone would love a cabin like this, believe me. I've been lots of places and stayed in lots of different kinds of cabins. None any classier than this.

View from the bed, across the living room and kitchen.

Debbie's ready for a fire later tonight. Should be in the teens here tonight, maybe single digits.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Keep the program ideas coming! I want to go get the best of the best experts to speak on these topics.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Another possible topic, how to build a reasonably priced RAS., pumps,filters etc.

You know your a redneck when you use your wife's earings as fishing lures! \:D

What if she uses your lures for ear rings????????????

I'd like to see an RAS.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If AES could bring in an RAS I'd be pleased, too.

I've never seen a real one in action. That would sure be a nice tool for pondmeisters.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
During our brief time on the grounds today, we met up the facilities manager. He said they have 15-18 guides on staff and that it would be easy to set up a half-day fishing tournament. They have all the gear, know the lake, etc. $250 for one person, half day, add $100 for the second person.
We can have a tournament, maybe on the Thursday, and announce the winner(s) at the ice-breaker on Thursday night out by the pool.
Headed to the reception, will report back later.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Oh, that fishing tournament sounds like fun. In fact, let's make it 2-person teams.... AND I HAVE DIBS ON DR. CONDELLO!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Another vote here for a "how to" on backyard aquaculture with simple (read cheap) equipment.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
How about something involving aquaponics?

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I think the venders should sponser different teams for the fishing tournament- Bruce and Dave would look great in "VERTEX" fishing shirts!! Venders could pay a little more than the fishing fee with the profits going to the scholarship fund.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
\:\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Oh, that fishing tournament sounds like fun. In fact, let's make it 2-person teams.... AND I HAVE DIBS ON DR. CONDELLO!

Sorry Dr. Dave, I called shotgun w/Condello over a month ago! But you can pay the fee if you want!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Maybe PB should have a silent auction on certain people for fishing after the conference - Sunday... Bruce, Lusk, Ray Scott, etc.. the silent auction could be held during the conference.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dang it, Rainman -- I missed that! Rats. Really thought I had first dibs.

Sue -- Vertex on one side and Pond Boss on the other? \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Good Idea!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
WOW! Sue and Bob, I love the idea of a sponsored fishing tournament with the guides on staff!!!

Also think the silent auction fishing trip with Ray Scott and Bob Lusk is a GREAT idea too.

You should really reconsider Vertex sponsoring Condelowhoo? and that willis guy. I think Vertex would be much better off sponsoring the winning team of Herman/Cruz!

Last edited by n8ly; 01/14/09 09:35 AM. Reason: I cant spell very well.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I'm not much interested in a fishing contest (probably because I've actually seen Condello, Nate, Aaron, Bing, Chris, Layton and several other pond boss members fish and I KNOW I'm not in their league) but I would really enjoy a leisurely day of fishing and beer consumption with some of my fellow pond meisters. Perhaps we could arrange some leisure fishing as well as a tournament.

Also we need plenty of "hang out" time and group dinners. The dinners don't have to be sponsored by Pond Boss. I'm not looking to run up a bill for Bob. The group dinners that we had last year were very much fun.

Keep all of this great conference stuff coming - I need something to get me through tax season.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
Beer?

Oh Hi!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I wouldn't mind some semi competitive fishing as long as it's not green carp. \:\/

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I wouldn't mind some semi competitive fishing as long as it's not green carp. \:\/

...and no wormy live bait allowed ...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
For those of you that are on the fence about going to this conference I have one word for you.

GO!

You won't regret it. The PB Conference last year was well worth the money JWHAP and I spent on it. Meeting all of these great folks in person was truly an honor for me. This event is educational but equally as important it was fun, fun, fun. It was a highlight of our 2008 year. If you are going to budget for one vacation this year, I strongly urge you to consider making this your vacation. I'm quite sure you won't regret it. Although Ricki looked forward to going to the Pond Boss conference last year she wasn't as nearly as enthusiastic as me about going. Once we got there she kept saying that this was one of the most fun vacations that we'd had in years and she is very much looking forward to going to this conference.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
whoa out of town for a few days and got back to 10 pages. Bob I was excited about NO but just if not more excited about this site. I will discuss with Wendy about possible family vacation.
Nate you beat me to it but my first thought was volunteering Shaun as well. Heck you might bring over your new boat. Bob we need to try and secure an electrofishing location for demos. You could have sessions for this so as many folks as possible get the chance to experience this with diff consultants out driving them around.
I can show you guys how I setup my flow thru aquaculture system. I second a topic of water quality seems there is quite a bit of misconceptions on this topic. Bob feel free to have me help as you see fit. Once I absorb this I will get back to PB.
One thought is this will be here before we know it. To get the attention of more pond owners in order to make this profitable there needs to be a flyer of speakers/topics, etc created. I can submit this to over clients. If only small % make it then this helps. All the fish stockers, clients, etc on this site need this document to get word out. Simply talking about it is good but a well made flyer is priceless for promotion. I want to see the PB family in a great setting but I want this grow with Bob’s vision and that cannot happen unless it shows a profit.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I like JHAP's idea of a laid back day of fishing cause I seem to spend more time snaggin trees and clearing birdsnests out of the reel than catchin fish. Just call me adirondack thumbs!
That's why my pond sampling usually includes traps. \:\/
Larry
P.S. Please don't have an electric shocking boat there, I would be tempted to mortgage the house to get one.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 01/14/09 10:19 AM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I think no matter what - laid back fishing, competitive or both, there should be beer!

Nate, I can't wait to see you in full fishing action!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
No worries Adirondack Larry, I have a tree with so many lures in it that lately I've been telling people that I put them there on purpose - sort of like an out doors Christmas tree.

I'd like to see a shocking boat in action as well.

Sue, much like Bruce, Nate is a fishing machine. IIRC both Nate and Moderator Chris had fantastic fly fishing casts as well.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I'd like to see a lure swap. Bring five of your five best, or worst lures, etc. I am still fishing with a couple of wooden brown Bombers I swapped a Lowrance temperature gauge for.

I'd even like to watch JHAP try to get through airport security with a couple of spoons or a filleting knife.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??