Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bill Cody, Fishingadventure, Waxaholic, Foozle), 1,098 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
If the state found out...grrrrr - what a statement! Seems the IL Gov'ment have some more pressing matters to which to attend [impeachment]?
Sigh
I understand its a good/necessary law intended to protect watersheds from invasive species...but when its applied to a species of fish the Gov folks apparently haven't ever researched it gets me going. Not like you're stocking white perch!

SSS!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Bing I had that same conversation down here with the same results.

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Great choice of location Bob. I am looking forward to attending. Since I am now retired if you need any help with anything please let me know. Gary Condo, Sulphur Springs, TX

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I got dead silence from my frau when I asked her about the meeting, but after mentioning Branson etc believe it's a go. Hope to see you all there ..du

M
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
M
I think this is GREAT! Count on me & I'll be booking a room when they become available. Looking forward to seeing everyone, again as well as making new friends.

See Me There,
Mongo

"Pushing to Please"

Pond Boss Conference Attendee 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 & 2015
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I bet ya we could get Shawn to bring by an electrofishing boat for those who havent seen one in real life. Might be a good prop for a presentation?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Holy Moly, this topic suckered Mongo into posting!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
George, we can all get together and let you take care of us. Come on along.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Bing
I'm afraid I'm not the guy to answer questions about this fish. I think Rainman raised a different type of tilapia, perhaps they were "blue". I had a very, very brief telephone conversation with an Illinois Conservation agent who told me in no uncertain terms that if I stocked them and the state found out they would either drain my pond or poison all of the fish. Since that time I have not openly considered stocking them. Interesting alternative SSS theory tho. The reason the conversation was so brief was because I don't think he reacted too well when I called the Illinois policy backward, stupid, uneducated, or something slightly less flattering.

Bing

The tilapia I raise are indeed Blue Tilapia (Oreochromis Aureas, T Aurea). Maybe your IL agent also takes calls for MO. I gave almost the same comments to the agent I spoke with. The first two people I spoke with about tilapia said they didn't care if I stocked them but they were obviously very low on the food chain. The story Mo gives on refusing stocking is fear of the T surviving winters in the 60 degree springs of the state. Kinda stupid since no reproduction or growth could occur IF they survived and they would be WAY to slow to avoid predation.

I would be happy to supply some T for demonstrations. Perhaps an unfiltered water tank with happy fish and 8ppm ammonia would demonstrate hardiness????LOL

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
AWESOME! I'm in! Branson is just a short drive away for me. I couldn't do New Orleans, so this is GREAT news for me. Sorry for others who were excited for N.O., but I think this is an excellent compromise, and I'll book a room the second they become available.

Big Cedar Lodge is a great venue! I'll probably bring a boat along for some fishing on Table Rock too.

Silver Dollar City will be a must visit also. I have fond memories of that place as a child, and I go there every time we are in the Branson area. Bass Pro HQ is another must visit. Love the place.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Also. For those interested, another fun place to check out while there is the Shepherd of the Hills Trout Hatchery.

http://mdc.mo.gov/areas/hatchery/shepherd/

It's an impressive setup and free to visit and tour. I've gone several times and really enjoyed it.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Great news! I hope a midwest conference is a hit. The wife went to Branson this summer with some friends and she loved the malls. This location would give her something to do during the seminars. I mentioned it to her and her said "Fine I can shop". I will put in for vacation days tomorrow.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
Crap \:\( Gail and I were fired up for New Orleans.

The Bremer Brothers fishing trip at Birch Lake, MN is set and deposits paid for: Saturday, September 12, 2009 Saturday, September 19, 2009.

Why, am I never consulted?

I'm sorry you won't be there Dwight. I was hoping to show you what a real 10 pound bass looks like. \:D

Seriously I was hoping to meet you in person.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
How about something on duck ponds.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil
I'm sorry you won't be there Dwight. I was hoping to show you what a real 10 pound bass looks like. \:D

in the words of Sunil...harsh

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Brutal.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Other sights to see in Branson:

Bill Medley:

http://billmedley.com/moon_river.htm

One of the finest collections of restored 1957 cars in the world, the Patch Collection:

http://www.dickclarksabbranson.com/coolcars.cfm

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I would like to sit in on a seminar that puts into redneck layman terms how to understand a water quality analysis. Like what the numbers mean and represent along with how to properly correct problems for the long term.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
I would like to sit in on a seminar that puts into redneck layman terms how to understand a water quality analysis. Like what the numbers mean and represent along with how to properly correct problems for the long term.

A big plus one on that topic Rainman. Also part of the seminar should be types of reasonably priced testing equipment. What to buy, how to use it, etc.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Also part of the seminar should be types of reasonably priced testing equipment. What to buy, how to use it, etc.

and how reliable & accurate they are. I'm thinking O2 meters and stuff that could be used for DIY water testing for hardness, alkalinity, etc.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Pondrookie
Great choice of location Bob. I am looking forward to attending. Since I am now retired if you need any help with anything please let me know. Gary Condo, Sulphur Springs, TX
Gary, don't want to hi-jack the 2009 PB Conference thread, but we sure would like for you to join us for Regional PB meeeting this coming Saturday at Chris and Frank's ponds just north of Paris.
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=143504#Post143504

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Need something on HOW TO CATCH YOUR FISH!!

Including tips for catching all applicable fish species: artificial lures, live bait, dead bait, flies, alternative harvest methodology, gear, etc.

Also something on HOW TO PREPARE YOUR FISH!!!

Including species-specific recipes, cooking-gear, and possibly some samples cooked up at the conference.

We need to get folks fired up about fishing/catching/eating/restocking.......

It's ALL about the fish!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Great idea!! Kind of an A to Z type meeting - we could start out with selecting a site - constructing pond, pond accessories like docks, feeders, lights, cabins,etc.. then initial stocking, water quality management and testing, population sampling through shocking, seining, and fishing, algae & weed ID and control, enjoying your pond, all aspects of fishing like Todd mentioned followed by cooking - we could end the meeting that Sat. night with a cook off - if possible...

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Another possible topic, how to build a reasonably priced RAS., pumps,filters etc.

You know your a redneck when you use your wife's earings as fishing lures! \:D

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Some possible topics:
1) Feral hog problems & control--same for beavers

2) Pond fishing--Have a rep from Bass Pro put this on--great way to showcase their product

3) Wildlife exemptions vs ag exemptions

4) Nursery pond for bass food and fun

5) Deer surveys with game cameras

6) Taxidermy -- general knowledge--how to prepare and keep fish--how to cape deer

7) Water weed identification -- have samples of 5 most common weeds in nothern and southern ponds--weed identification info & weed control

8) Food plots

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?