Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 933 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Took out a trip yesterday and those guys smoked the big bluegill. Over 135 between 8.25 and 10.25 inches. Here is a pic of two nice ones and also the video from the trip.
Grahams Big Bluegill Ice Fishing Video

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow! \:o \:o \:o

You'll have to excuse our southern brethren for not responding. They think we're crazy for going out on that ice!

Oh btw that one bluegill is technically a Palomino bluegill. \:D

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/11/09 11:02 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
nice! Looks cold. My texas blood would freeze out there sitting still.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Keith Wolfe
nice! Looks cold. My texas blood would freeze out there sitting still.

What'd I tell ya! He's saying in a nice way we are crazy to fish in the cold!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks Cecil for getting all technical again Curious though, what are your thoughts about the bluegill on the right hand side of the pic? (my left hand)

For the Southerners:
I am completely and totally designed to handle the cold! 30 degrees is a heat wave, 20 degrees is a sweatshirt, and at 10 degrees I will put on a jacket.....

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Curious though, what are your thoughts about the bluegill on the right hand side of the pic? (my left hand)

Well good color for this time of year probably because it's a very mature male. Something else you were wondering about? ???

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/11/09 11:04 PM.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
In the pic it just looks quite a bit different than the other male?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Nice BG Nate. When is VS going to start a fishing show with the Herman Brothers? \:\) I'd rather watch you guys fish than Shaw Grigsby any day.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
In the pic it just looks quite a bit different than the other male?

The "purplish" BG on the left (in your right hand) is colored like one of Condello's fast-growing, immature males.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Those are some nice gills Nate. We do some ice fishing, along wiht adult beverage consumption, on my ponds but have never put up those kind of numbers. I was wondering - by mid Feb. the fish activity shuts down on my ponds. Have you experience this?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: mnfish
Those are some nice gills Nate. We do some ice fishing, along wiht adult beverage consumption, on my ponds but have never put up those kind of numbers. I was wondering - by mid Feb. the fish activity shuts down on my ponds. Have you experience this?

MNfish,

Is it possible your oxygen levels get low by then?

I was talking about underwater cameras with a ice fishing website friend the other day. He said he wasn't catching any fish but dropped the camera down and they were thick down there. Only thing he can think of was the oxygen level was low enough during late ice the fish weren't interested in feeding.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Cecil- I have noticed the same thing as your buddy. With the camera down, I can watch lots of fish without any bites. I'll bet the fish are under some kind of stress. Could it have anything to do with super cooling the water?
My neighbor's pond is well aerated (maybe too much) and the same reactions from his fish.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Tell me a bit more about your pond during the winter? Aeration, water clarity, depths, etc?

Cold water and low DO will definitely make for a tough bite.

I have encountered fish not willing to bite while ice fishing numerous times, and am starting to piece together a few ice fishing pond theories. Lots and lots and lots of variables though. Way more complicated than typical open water fishing.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Maybe some of the fish can be traced back to Texas ancestry? Anything from Texas is a wimp when it come to the cold.

What are your theories N8LY? I'm be curious to see if we have similar thoughts.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: mnfish
Cecil- I have noticed the same thing as your buddy. With the camera down, I can watch lots of fish without any bites. I'll bet the fish are under some kind of stress. Could it have anything to do with super cooling the water?
My neighbor's pond is well aerated (maybe too much) and the same reactions from his fish.

If you or your neighbor are supercooling the water with too much mixing it most certainly could be stressing them. One of the first signs of stress is a fish that is not interested in eating.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Nate at fifty degrees I have on a coat and at thirty degrees I am not going outside. I have people from the North complain about the Texas heat in the summer and that doesn't bother me near as much as the cold.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I am still trying to nail down the factors necessary to determine and pattern feeding times and locations within the water column for ice fishing success. Moon phase, air temps, cold fronts, water temps, snow cover, clouds, wind, time of day, time of year, etc.

For open water spring, summer, and fall fishing, all of those factors are just automatically ingrained in my system. Instinctively I know where they are on a daily basis, why they are there, and how to catch them. I dont have to sit and analyze, think about, or ponder all those factors, its just automatic.

Ice fishing on the other hand does not come automatic. Every day I am wondering why the fish are doing what they are doing? Why where they hear one minute and gone the next, why were they biting 10 minutes ago and not right now, too many unknown variables that I dont have a firm handle on yet?

Real clear lakes are hard to consistently catch fish on. I thought it might be low DO in some of them, but when I put trout in them, I can catch pretty much unlimited trout at all depths at all times, even on days that I cant get any bluegill to bite.

No real difinitive answers for you there Cecil, but just a bunch of rambling that maybe will lead to some theories or ideas from other ice fisherman?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've noticed light penetration seems to be a big factor with ice fishing. In my front pond even when it was well stocked I couldn't get much action on bluebird sky days even with some snow cover. The fish were there but they just weren't interested. Of course one would say they were conditioned to feed at low light periods which is when I fed them, but it seemed to be more than that. Normally I could get a fish to bite anytime in the pond by putting food in front of it's mouth but not on bluebird sky days.

It's almost like they get used to low level light under the ice and then when it gets bright they don't like it. Sometimes even with a lot of fish in the pond when I could see down and around a good distance they were nowhere to be found and apparently were down deep in the weed growth.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Start with the basics. BG metabolism is slow under the ice thus they don't need to eat as much or as often. Because they are in the bioenergetics mode of energy saving they would be close to their food so they don't have to waste energy moving a lot, which should be near plankton concentrations (light and O2). Slight temp increases can stimulate increased feeding.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Those super bluebird sky days are also typically after a front with rising barometric pressure.

I have had many ice fishing days when the fishing really picks up as the sun sets. Also had days when the fishing shuts off then, too?

After sunset, the fishing typically shuts down, but then from 9 pm to midnight might be real fast action, oftentimes some of the best action of the season. I often fish the super clear lakes at night, but don't waste my time on the ice right after sunset.

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Start with the basics. BG metabolism is slow under the ice thus they don't need to eat as much or as often. Because they are in the bioenergetics mode of energy saving they would be close to their food so they don't have to waste energy moving a lot, which should be near plankton concentrations (light and O2). Slight temp increases can stimulate increased feeding.

EWEST,
You would be surprised at how much the fish do move around under the ice. Definitely not nearly as much as in the spring/summer, but way more so than I originally thought before the use of cameras and vexilars.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
 Originally Posted By: ewest

EWEST,
You would be surprised at how much the fish do move around under the ice. Definitely not nearly as much as in the spring/summer, but way more so than I originally thought before the use of cameras and vexilars.

Absolutely N8LY. I have watched them actually zip by under the ice. Yellow perch are quite active under the ice.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Do you suppose ice cover enhances the affects of a changing barometric pressure? I've found that ice making ice (cracking) also turns off the fish bite, so does shoveling off snow.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Nate/Cecil- My 1.5 acre pond is very clear with a maximum depth of 6.5 ft and an average of 3.5ft. The fish are aggresive from first ice (around Thanksgiving) until the end of December. The same is true for my neighbors 1/3 acre pond. Both ponds are aerated by Koender windmills. Combined the ponds contain BG,BC,WE,YP,LMB, and SMB.

The funny thing is there is 4 of us small pond owners (1/3 - 1.5 acres)all within 15 miles and we all experience this mid winter shut down. We all stocked BC specifically for after work night ice fishing. For all of us it's become night watching with the Aquaview and not catching the BC :).

I have been ice fishng all over the state of MN since I could walk. In my experience, all lakes towards mid to late winter will have lull periods until 3-4 weeks before ice out and then pick up again especially when it comes to BC. Once the fish in my pond stop biting, they won't begin feeding until Mid may. My neighbors pond the same thing except they will start by the end of April. His pond is smaller and does not have flowing inlets and outlets thus heats up faster. This difference between ponds has been leading me to the super cooling hypothesis.

I could be wrong and it is certainly not the first or last time. Any thoughts?

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Do you suppose ice cover enhances the affects of a changing barometric pressure? I've found that ice making ice (cracking) also turns off the fish bite, so does shoveling off snow.

I think you might be right about the ice cover enhancing the affects of changing barometric pressure.

I have also heard quite a few cracks on the ice this year, but those arent coming from ice making!!!

Last edited by n8ly; 01/12/09 11:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM