Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,905
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (Snipe, Kanon M, Boondoggle), 407 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think I need to find a market for some of my fish in California! Sounds like money is no object to some of those people.

Actually I do have a regular customer there that is an American Airlines pilot that does taxidermy on the side.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/06/09 05:20 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Life was good,no,life was great.Here I was,all the beer I could drink,a fishing pole,a lake,a fish stringer on my angle and all the snacks I wanted.I just sat on the dock and fished.Id eat and drink and catnap and fish.It was wonderful. weeks of wonderful bliss.
And then it happened \:o somebody pops the balloon.Im not on vacation,Im a prisoner onboard the deathstar.They mixed mind altering substance in my beer and its not a fish stringer but a ball and chain.Its not a lake but a hologram.Then to add insult to injury they dump back on my front lawn right in front of my wife.
Then she starts in about all the honeydos I need to complete.And what kind of cheap operation can only pay a lousy hundred bucks to get rid of my sorry butt.And NO,you cant have any beer money.Ah well,at least Ill have the memory that I thought I got 2 weeks off anyway.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cecil,
If you have a tough time finding a GSF, I may be able to sacrifice a couple this spring/summer (provided I can catch the bigger ones). I will let you know how it looks when the weather begins to warm.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Of Darryl's first 3 photos, I think the top fish is a female and the lower 2 fish are male - all GSF. Colors are subdued likely due to winter phase coloration and or water color as variables mentioned by Cecil.

In JAHP's post of DIED's fish it is a male GSF while I think the lower fish of Darryl's is a female. Each photo was very likely taken in a different season - 1st spring - early summer, latter winter.

Hi Bill, of the top 3 pics in this thread, can you please elaborate on why you think the top fish is female, and the bottom two are male?

also, what leads you to believe my fish is male? that pic was taken in may 07 which is late spring/early summer here.

if just going by opercular flap characteristics, i think i understand, but what else are you observing?

Thanks,
Dave

GSF are people too!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bbjr
Cecil,
If you have a tough time finding a GSF, I may be able to sacrifice a couple this spring/summer (provided I can catch the bigger ones). I will let you know how it looks when the weather begins to warm.

I may take you up on that. I have a pond I can fish that used to have some big ones but that was a few years ago. Don't tell the GSF lovers but I delivered some bass to that pond that really reduced the GSF! \:o

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Don't tell the GSF lovers but I delivered some bass to that pond that really reduced the GSF! \:o

Don't forget, though, Cecil... I am one of them .

I caught a couple @ 10" early last season (although I did not have a scale, I would say they were ever so slightly underweight), but I started a feeding program and a tilapia program last year, so their RW should be improving. I'll keep you updated.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Mouth too small for a pure greenie. I know the whole head is small due to rapid growth, but, still, the mouth is small as compared with the rest of the head.
GSF (oops) have big mouths.

Last edited by burgermeister; 01/06/09 07:04 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Mouth too small for a pure greenie. I know the whole head is small due to rapid growth, but, still, the mouth is small as compared with the rest of the head.
GSF (oops) have big mouths.

You may be riiiiight
I maaaay be craaaaaazy

(Bill Joel)

But Burger look how small the fins are in relation to the rest of the body due to rapid growth. (First pics in the thread) Typically when I see that in a fish I also see smaller heads then normal.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
But, on the other hand, if those are hybrids after 11 months, whoa! Those are freaks.

But on the other, other hand, well you know, I just dont know.

Billy Joel, was he one of those 80s 1 hit wonders?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
But, on the other hand, if those are hybrids after 11 months, whoa! Those are freaks.

Are you kidding me Burger? \:o He had top 10 hits in the 70's, 80's, and 90's with 6 grammies and 150 million albums sold and counting. He's also been inducted into three music hall of fames. The guy is an icon!

Shame, shame ,shame on Burger!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/07/09 10:17 AM.

Lunker
Lunker

Are you kidding me Burger? \:o He had top 10 hits in the 70's, 80's, and 90's with 6 grammies and 150 million albums sold and counting. He's also been inducted into three music hall of fames. The guy is an icon!

I think it's very nice that Elton John lets Billy Joel open for him. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

I thought that was Sunil \:o \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

I thought that was Sunil \:o \:D

No, no, you got it all wrong. Sunil is a wrestler in the WWF. He's no twinkle toes. Before he goes into the ring he bench presses 1000 lbs.!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/07/09 06:19 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
And he doesn't play the piano. He powerlifts them.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
OK, if Billy Joel is in 3 music halls of fame, why aint that Skynard guy, whats his first name......Oh yeh, Lynard, in one.
What say you, Dr. Willis?
Sunil military presses a grand piano with Elton and Billy on board, Elton singing 'Come on baby light my Fire' while giving directions to the BBQ joint.

Last edited by burgermeister; 01/08/09 01:21 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
\:D \:D

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OK, if Billy Joel is in 3 music halls of fame, why aint that Skynard guy, whats his first name......Oh yeh, Lynard, in one.
What say you, Dr. Willis?
Sunil military presses a grand piano with Elton and Billy on board, Elton singing 'Come on baby light my Fire' while giving directions to the BBQ joint.

There is no one person named Lynyrd Skynrd. ;\) It's a band. And it was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame back in 2006. Sure ya don't mean Ronnie Van Zant the lead singer?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
There is no one person named Lynyrd Skynrd. ;\) It's a band. And it was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame back in 2006. Sure ya don't mean Ronnie Van Zant the lead singer?

Oh come on Cecil. Next thing you know you're gonna be telling us there was no one person named Jethro Tull either.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
I have it from a very reliable source that Jethro Tull is good friends with Uriah Heep and Max Webster. Now there's three great musicians!

-S. M. Stirling
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Oh come on Cecil. Next thing you know you're gonna be telling us there was no one person named Jethro Tull either.

Did ya know THE ROLLING STONES is the first, middle, and last name of the guy that is the lead singer for the band Mick Jagger? A lot of people don't know that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Bluegill problem
by Snipe - 04/22/24 11:55 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by Boondoggle - 04/22/24 11:40 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Sunil - 04/22/24 09:00 PM
Low Alkalinity