Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,977
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (Theo Gallus, Augie, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, jmartin, Pat Williamson), 1,216 guests, and 377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Im going to build some large pallet structures to place at the bottom of a 4 acre pond. I have coontail moss in the area and would think that the moss is just going to cover up the structure.

I was thinking about buying a large tarp say 25' square and putting it on the bottom held with bricks. This might keep the moss from taking over the structure.

is this a good idea? tarps are fairly cheap.

seems like sediment could cover the tarp and moss could grow again but im just looking for ideas.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
A tarp over the pallet structure would eliminate fish access to all the internal spaces, cracks, and crannies in it, right? I think that's half of the structure's value.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
oh no, Im talking about putting the tarp down first and getting it all set and layed out, then placing the pallet structure right on top of the tarp in the center.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
I don't think you want TARP to be anywhere near your pond. (bad joke)

Seriously though, I would think that the plants would just add to the habitat value of the structure.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Chad, you can use that tarp to cover and kill off sections of coontail and control the spread.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
Chad, you can use that tarp to cover and kill off sections of coontail and control the spread.

Agreed. Also makes for a handy way to give yourself a fairly weed free swimming area if so desired.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
alright then, I think i'll give it a try, unless there is something else out that that might work better. Anyone ever done something like this before? Basically im blocking the moss growth.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
That is a good idea. Do it and let us know how it works.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Chad you should get a hold of Kelly Duffie search his name on the website. He is the king of weed control. You have to understand coontail moss before you can treat it. The tarp idea will not work. I mean maybe a month or so. Coontail moss is not rooted to the ground. Its suspended in the water so if one little piece say inch by an inch gets on the tarp it will start to explode when the water warms and is clear. Ive had coontail in my pond for 4 years now and it is the biggest pain in the ass weed in a pond you could ever have! The more i looked into coontail moss the better i understood it. There is advantages to having it in the pond and disadvantges ecspecially if you like to fish. 1000's of creatures live in that moss and has its own food chain. If i was you i would just spot treat were your gonna put your pallets. I live not to far from you and all the ponds around here are very fertile and with coontail moss its like throwing gas on a fire. Theres another thread in indentfying
plants right now its at the top that has alot good suggestions for killing it back. Good luck

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Keep us posted on your results. Normally, I would say your idea would work, but JHFV is correct about coontail. It's often classified as a rooted, submersed weed, but the reality is the holdfast structure on the plant allows it to dislodge and float freely to other areas of the pond. It could very easily drift to your pallets, recolonize and completely cover it. I can see situations where this could be a good or bad deal.

Coontail is just a unique plant in terms of how it can survive.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Well I guess that is not a good idea.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Cut some slits in the tarp. If you don't it will "whaleback." Seen it often. Gases build underneath the tarp, even with six inches of gravel on it and it will float. If you cut some slits, gases can escape and it won't matter for rooted macrophytes. Been there, done it.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Good thinkin' Lusk!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
The concept sounds a lot like using newspaper under the mulch in your flower beds to stop weeds.

How about using geotextile fabric instead of tarp material. A geotextile would probably last longer and be cheaper too and would allow gasses to escape without adding slits.

May not work too well for coontail but probably would work for rooted vegetation.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Ryan,

You are right on!! We use the geotextile fabric everytime we make gravel spawning beds along the shoreline. We bring bricks with us to keep it weighted down and stretched out until we can get the gravel on top. I'm assuming this type of fabric can breath, but I really don't know for sure. Surely the porous nature of this type of material will allow for gas exchange. I do know that it does a pretty good job of keeping our gravel free from weeds.

Good point on the tarps, Bob. I haven't used a tarp for this purpose, but I doubt I would have slit it and would have learned the hard about the whale back. I'll put your comments in my memory bank in case I ever need to use a tarp.

Gotta love the information on this site!!!

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Where can I locate this geotextile fabric material, Im afraid I haven't seen it before unless it goes by other names. Cheaper than a tarp! wow.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
We got ours last Summer (great big 12' wide rolls) through the local Soil & Water Office (NRCS to most).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
It's also called "shadecloth"

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I get Geotextile fabric from our highway construction materials supplier. Landscaper supply companies should also have it. The big box lumber stores have it but it's usually only 3' wide. 12' is more common in my line of work. It wouldn't hurt to search the net for a manufacturer and ask what they recommend for your particular purpose.There are lots of different kinds and a wide price range.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 02:46 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM