Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143369 01/03/09 09:33 PM
J
John G. Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
We have a small pond here at work. At put some fatheads in it about 1yr ago.And they are the only fish in the pond. They have done very well. I now would like to catch some and take home to my pond. I tried a minow trap and they swarm around it but will not go in it. I am thinking now about using a cast net. What is the easiest way to catch a bunch to take home? Thanks, John

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I dont have any experience with fatheads, but if you plan to cast net them I would think you would need a cast net with smaller than normal holes...then again I have actually never seen an adult fathead.

Get out and fish.
jakeb #143382 01/03/09 10:14 PM
Lunker
Lunker
What size/kind of minnow trap did you use?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Did you use bait in the trap? I use a section of pantyhose and put fish food in it and suspend in the middle of the trap. You can also take a can of dog food, stab some holes in it with a screwdriver, put it in the trap and fatheads will come into it.
If that doesn't work, use a lift net where you feed the fish. That will definitely work.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you have enough minnows to see them around the trap and you put a whole slice of dried bread or break it into big pieces in the trap you should be able to get the minnnows in the trap. I have never had a problem with getting fatheads to go into a wire mesh trap with cones on the end. Set trap in 12"-2ft of water parallel to shore and let it fish for 4-8 hrs. Let us know if this or what worked.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/04/09 04:44 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
John G. Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I have been using one of those round minnow traps with the funnel opening at each end. I have use bread balled up into a ball and they just swarm around the trap. This pond is loaded with fatheads. But, they just will not go into the trap. All I caught was some big tadpoles. I will try some aquamax in some pantyhose when I go back to work. And report the results.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
John try dried or fresh bread pieces not balled up. Try breaking bread into numerous 1" pieces and make sure some are at both trap ends. Does your trap have the black rubber coating on the wire mesh?. I find that these traps do not catch fish as well as bare wire traps, although some FH should still go into the rubber coated wire traps.

J
John G. Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I could not find my minnow trap yesterday when I went to work. So I took my cast net and it worked great. I caught a bucket full in little of no time. But, I do not think they are fatheads. I think they are shiners. I do not know how they got in the pond. But, either way they should make for good forage. This pond is loaded. I was catching 15-20 with each cast. And I did not even make a dent in them. Here is a couple of pics

J
John G. Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J

Lunker
Lunker
They definitely look Shiner-ish to me. Should be good forage.

Cody or another expert may be able to identify the species.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I am not good with identity of native shiners out of my region, unless I can get them under a dissection microscope. Too many different shiner species in other regions of the US such as Florida. HOWEVER, since you happened to get a good close photo, AND it is a pond spawner AND due to the deeply decurved lateral line my opinion is golden shiner.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/07/09 09:35 PM. Reason: typos

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Have you been catching any fatheads along with those shiners? If not I wonder where they all went. Maybe you have some predators in that pond.

Last edited by Brett295; 01/15/09 10:40 AM. Reason: question was unclear

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
That first one looks an awful lot like your typical golden shiner to me. The second pic looks slightly different but it could just be the angle.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Those of you that haven't seen one there is a trap called a B trap that is made with hardware cloth and is fairly easy to build and use. But for fathead minnows or shiners in the bait industry here in MN they use wing or leeds to guide the minnows into the trap.
Fatheads and Shiners will typically follow the shoreline around the pond. The leed is attached to the throat of the trap and staked out into the pond at a right angle to the shoreline. The leed stops the minnows and directs them toward the throat of the trap.
Depending on the Game and Fish Laws in your state you could also build a box trap 2' wide by 2' deep by 4' long close off one end and on the other build a V of hardware cloth vertically with an opening of about 1" in the center. You can use wood for the frame and staples to fasten the hardware cloth to the frame if you need to but you will have to weight it down as wood floats.
If this sounds complicated send me a request by email and I wil draw up plans and send them back.
Bait isn't necessary with the leed and you need only dipnet the minnows out as you need them. BUT check your local laws for size restrictions first.
Barry

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Barry, I know the trap you are talking about, and will offer to others reading that it works well.

Get out and fish.
jakeb #145556 01/20/09 04:05 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I believe both are golden shiners. When small, less than say 2" they often don't get a golden tint to their fins as in the fish in the second picture. I am saying golden shiners. Not many species of shiner out their that can naturally reproduce in a lake or pond, so the options are limited.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The Golden Shiners are aggressive and will likely feed heavily on the Fathead fry and most of the invertebrate population in a pond as well. They will eventually through attrition eliminate the Fatheads entirely from the pond. I have seen this many times here in MN. They may also eliminate many of the necessary zooplankton that your gamefish fry need to grow, and the gamfish fry as well.
I would be carefull if you put these in your pond so they don't upset the balance and end up as the only small fish you have.
The one bright spot (or not) is that they also eat their own fry too. So if you don't want or have trouble controling the natural reproduction in you pond the Goldies may slow or stop that and provide larger forage for your larger fish.
Barry

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It is amazing to watch a zipping school of golden shiners dashing through spawning beds of sunfish, stealing the eggs and fry to eat.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM