Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I just posted 2 photos...one is of the lane behind the dam...the other is of a hole I found on backside of dam...the hole seems to be about a foot wide and about 2 feet deep with other channels going in different directions from bottom of hole...there is a piece of corragated metal buried behind the hole..not sure how deep the metal goes...what does everone think i should do with this discovery...the leak did not bubble from the hole but seemed to come up from the ground...interesting...POND HOLE IN MISS NANCY'S DAM...it would be nice if this is the problem...let me know what to do with this fine looking dam hole

EVERY DAY IS A HOLIDAY,EVERY MEAL IS A FEAST AND LIFE GETS SWEETER AND SWEETER
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Bump for ya. Hang on Miss Nancy, I'm sure one of the experts will take a look at that for you. Since it's the holidays probably most of the pond experts are off gallivanting around instead of minding the company store. It's just so hard to get good help these days. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I'm at a loss as to why that metal panel would be in the ground like that, unless it was use as some sort of device to try to stop a leak. Maybe somebody else has a better idea, but it really doesn't make any sense to me why it would be there other then a leak.

Is there pipe behind or under it? From the picture, it looks like water has been coming out from the bottom of the hole. Is this the case? Have you seen water in there, or coming from there?

If it was me, I'd remove it and find what's going on in there. If it's not your problem, it is something that needs to be addressed.

Good luck,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
It almost looks like a piece of trash that just got covered up with time.
I think Eddie has the right idea pull it up and see what is going on. You are going to work on it at some point so you might as well know what needs to be done.
There are a few equipment dealers in ok city that migh also be able to give you the name of some backhoe people.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Somebody here recently talked about a critter that bores into dams, then cuts off in different directions as it tunnels (beaver....?)
Maybe the metal panel was someone's feeble attempt to stop a boring critter when they found that hole. And, furthermore, if that is the CSI cold case hypothesis, would it not lead to an explanation for the leaking pond.
...or not

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Never seen one, but people talk about the Nutria as something that might do that. Brettski might have something there, maybe the metal was to stop it from digging anymore.

Armadillo?

Muskrat?

Beaver?

Woodchuck?

Ground Squirrel?

Prairie Dog?

Rabbits?

Badger?

Not sure what else digs a home into the dirt. Might need to find out what animals are in the area.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
HI POND GUYS...WELL I PUT A HOSE IN THE DAM HOLE AND IT HAS BEEN RUNNING FOR ABOUT HALF AN HOUR...HASN'T FILLED UP AND AM WATCHING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS...HOPE I AM NOT DOING HARM...BUT NO CRITTERS HAVE COME OUT AND I JUST WONDER WHERE THE WATER IS GOING...IF I AM DOING SOMETHING STUPID LET ME KNOW

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Sounds like a good idea. I am very curious where the water is going. I was also wondering if Otto had it right, and it was just garbage that somehow got tilted upright over the years. I keep looking at the picture of it, and I'm not sure, but lean towards it being placed there for a purpose.

I'd be looking really hard on the dam at the water level stays when it's not leaking. There might be a tunnel or hole that is partially blocked. With one on the other side of the dam and the fact that you have a leak makes me think there could very well be another hole of some king that you haven't found yet.

Good luck, I love a good mystery.

Eddie

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
miss nancy
If you can dig a hole behind the dam in the lowest place possible and see if there is any water running under ground.

What ever you find it appears that the you are going to have to use heavy equipment to fix this...

In the past I have filled holes with bags of sac-creet. Just guessing but this may be to big for that.

Otto

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I have resolved myself to the fact I will need heavy equipment to fix this pond....so here is my current plan....I am going to clean up around the dam as much as possible...I am going to contact the son of the man who dug the pond and see what he can tell me...after spring rains i will watch...my big concern now are the trees actually on the back side of pond... there are some big and small...I am not sure how to deal with them...I know they must suck water when not dormant...by the way I found out that the son collects and repairs antique heavy equipment...he will know more about this pond than I do...in the mean time I will contine to work on this...I am able to cut smaller trees by myself...I will let the herons eat all they want while it is so low...they can't get in it when full as the sides are steep...I let the hose run for an hour and it never came up in the hole..
Yesterday I had three deer grazing...two ducks swimming ..two hawks hunting and a great heron fishing. it is ver interesting to have this environment less than two miles from I35 and 1 mile from the mother road(rt66). What to do with trees? I know it is all about the pond not the fish. What is sac-creet?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: miss nancy
What is sac-creet?

AH HA! A question I can answer. Sakrete is a brand name of premixed concrete. It all ready contains cement, rock, and sand. Just add water and wala, you have concrete. Actually, the Sakrete company makes all kinds of mixes but most people think of concrete mix when they say the same.

Sakrete's website

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Just add water and wala

...don't forget to finely chop the walla

H
H
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Backhoe operator job description

Best regards.

Last edited by hamburg113; 07/22/11 01:48 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?