Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,969
Members18,502
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
9 members (Omaha, DrewSh, Sunil, Shorthose, Donatello, Rick O, canyoncreek, catscratch, Theo Gallus), 1,157 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MikeC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I am getting a couple Pumpkinseeds from a fish guy in a couple days. I am tempted to keep some in an aquarium to try and feed train them and grow them a bit over the winter. Has anyone had luck with this?

I subscribe
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I haven't ever had PS, but I have feedtrained RES which have similar tastes. So has Bill Cody.

I started out with earthworms, then transitioned through freeze-dried krill to floating pellets. Switch over between stages gradually and realize your fish will have to be a little hungry to try something new each time you progress toward pellets.

Cody does terrible things to earthworms and pellets in a blender for his feedtraining and is at least as successful as I have been. Just messier.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The North Central Regional Aquaculture Center has a sunfish culture guide that is available here.

http://www.ncrac.org/NR/rdonlyres/7BBF17EA-1CD1-411D-9F0B-723EABEF0E3E/49161/Sunfish_Culture.pdf

They mention pumpkinseeds a few times, but not much information.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Mike, I have 5 small PS's in a 35 gallon tank. they were brought in from the pond in early nov. At first I fed them some aquamax that I had ,but they didn't show much interest. Then I gave them Tetrafin goldfish flakes and after a few days they were more aggressive in their feeding. Now when I go to feed them I hold the food can over the tank and they follow it where ever I move it.
They will peck at the aquamax when I put some in, but they go crazy when I feed them the goldfish flakes.
It could be that the flakes are easier to eat than the pellets cause their only 2 to 3 inches long.
NANFA
Dave mentioned the NCRAC. site, there's also another site NANFA. if you join their forum those guys have lots of experience keeping game fish in aquariums.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 12/30/08 09:42 AM.

M
MikeC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Mike, I have 5 small PS's in a 35 gallon tank. they were brought in from the pond in early nov. At first I fed them some aquamax that I had ,but they didn't show much interest. Then I gave them Tetrafin goldfish flakes and after a few days they were more aggressive in their feeding. Now when I go to feed them I hold the food can over the tank and they follow it where ever I move it.
They will peck at the aquamax when I put some in, but they go crazy when I feed them the goldfish flakes.
It could be that the flakes are easier to eat than the pellets cause their only 2 to 3 inches long.
NANFA
Dave mentioned the NCRAC. site, there's also another site NANFA. if you join their forum those guys have lots of experience keeping game fish in aquariums.

Very cool site. I already have two aquariums going and would like to get a couple more. I think I found a new obsession. As if I needed one

I subscribe
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
MikeC - pumpkinseeds will train to dry food, but it takes some effort. Best way I found is to first get them to eating some form of natural food. I usually use chopped worms or pieces of shrimp - raw or uncooked. I've also used crayfish tails with good success. Natural foods in small amounts can be frozen in water (ice cube trays or similar sm container) and thawed for feeding sessions. Next step is to soften high protein fish pellets. See my article in May-Jun 2008 Pond Boss mag (The Softer Side of Feeding fish). Mix bits of natural food with soft pellets as they are rolled or molded. Gradually decreasing the amounts of natural food bits. Soon fish will be eating 100% soft pellets. Then gradually reduce amount of moisture. Forum members should be willing to sell you small amounts (1 cup to 1 qt) of some small sized high protein Aquamax such as 1/16" (50% protein) or 3/32" (45% pro) which work very good for me when softened for initial feed training. I plan to put a short article together soon about this method for PB mag.

adirondack pond - try some of the smaller sized Aquamax such as 5D03 1/16" or 5D04 3/32" for pumpkinseeds. Forum members with this food should be willing to send you some instead of your having to buy a whole 50 lb bag.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/30/08 09:28 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Contact me if you need some smaller pellets. I'll send various sizes.

Cody says: Ata Boy Dr. Bruce. In addition, I and I'm sure others will also be willing to share small quantities of the small pellets.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/30/08 09:41 PM.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
MikeC - pumpkinseeds will train to dry food, but it takes some effort. Best way I found is to first get them to eating some form of natural food. I usually use chopped worms or pieces of shrimp - raw or uncooked. I've also used crayfish tails with good success. Natural foods in small amounts can be frozen in water (ice cube trays or similar sm container) and thawed for feeding sessions. Next step is to soften high protein fish pellets. See my article in May-Jun 2008 Pond Boss mag (The Softer Side of Feeding fish). Mix bits of natural food with soft pellets as they are rolled or molded. Gradually decreasing the amounts of natural food bits. Soon fish will be eating 100% soft pellets. Then gradually reduce amount of moisture. Forum members should be willing to sell you small amounts (1 cup to 1 qt) of some small sized high protein Aquamax such as 1/16" (50% protein) or 3/32" (45% pro) which work very good for me when softened for initial feed training. I plan to put a short article together soon about this method for PB mag.

adirondack pond - try some of the smaller sized Aquamax such as 5D03 1/16" or 5D04 3/32" for pumpkinseeds. Forum members with this food should be willing to send you some instead of your having to buy a whole 50 lb bag.

Thanks Bill, I still have a small amount of 1/16 trout pellets. The PS's will eat the pellets, but they prefer the flakes, maybe cause of their size. I feed both but when the flakes run out all they'll get are pellets.
Also I'm going to start pre moistening the pellets as you suggested.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 12/30/08 10:18 PM.

M
MikeC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I appreciate all of the generous offers. I am picking up the fish on friday. I am gonna try them on the pellets I have. If that doesnt work I will definitely take one of you up on your offer.

Do you think I should try sinking at first?

FYI I am getting 3-4inch pumpkinseeds

I subscribe
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mike,

I was told by a couple of guys no the NANFA site they are not different in keeping than the other sunfish. I would consider hydrating the aquamax once you get them going on something more palatable. On the other hand the aquarium purists tell me the commercial feeds we use in ponds are dirtier than some of the more specialized feeds for aquariums.

Where did you get the pumpkinseeds from? Was it the Smith Creek Fish Farm?

I ask because I want to start raising them next year. I can get them from the wild but it's a hassle as I have to quarantine them with a HACCP plan and have several tested for VHS. Smith Creek already tests them for VHS. Only problem is I don't know the history of his fish genetics. I'd like them to come from a large genetic pool vs. the alternative.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/31/08 10:11 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
MikeC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
This guy

http://www.delmarvaaquatics.com/

He said he has a bunch of 1 inch fish that he can ship.

I subscribe
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mike,

Thanks for the contact info. I have contacted him via email. I'd like to start producing them this year and I'm a little leary of using wild local fish as it complicates things. I want to have several options to consider.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
MikeC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Just got the pumpkinseeds. They are really aggresive but they are spitting out the pellets. I am gonna try wetting the pellets first.

I subscribe
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: MikeC
Just got the pumpkinseeds. They are really aggresive but they are spitting out the pellets. I am gonna try wetting the pellets first.

Yes hydrating the feed will make a big difference. Don't forget to squeeze the air out of them to get them to slowly sink. I have bluegills that are so spoiled by hydrated feed they refuse to eat the hard stuff anymore.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Mike - Try putting a small amount of mashed raw or cooked fish or shrimp in with the pellets as you soften them. Mix the fish with moist pellets and mold or kneed the pellets into small balls. Pinch off small amounts, roll into small pellets and add to the tank. Tell us if it worked.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/04/09 05:00 PM.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
This thread is meaningless without pics! \:\)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ceadmin
This thread is meaningless without pics! \:\)

We're trying everything Ceadmin but no pics yet!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Why does one need pics of mashed fish mixed with moist pellets and then rolled? For pics of this see Pond Boss mag 2008 May-Jun pg 45.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I was referring to the PS, stick in the mud. :p

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ceadmin
I was referring to the PS, stick in the mud. :p

Now be nice.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Sunil - 04/26/24 07:52 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Theo Gallus - 04/26/24 07:16 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by liquidsquid - 04/26/24 06:58 AM
Low Alkalinity
by liquidsquid - 04/26/24 06:49 AM