Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,536
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
6 members (Brev, Stressless, Dave Davidson1, Rick O, Theo Gallus, KenHorton), 592 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
Preface: For proper comprehension of the following, one should probably know about the "Blue Hole". Located in Castalia, Ohio, the Blue Hole is an underground river emerging from a near-vertical cavern to the tune of 2500 gpm. Formerly the site of a private trout hatchery, now occupied by a state hatchery providing the bulk of Ohio's Steelhead fingerlings for public stocking, the Blue Hole was a major tourist attraction in past years. If you grew up in Ohio in the '60's (or even earlier), before videogames, the Internet, or cable TV, chances are good that at some point in time your parents drug you to the Blue Hole where you became familiar with it's clear, copper-sulfate tinged water. Supposedly, several divers and even a horse and buggy have been lost in the "bottomless" depths of the Blue Hole, never to be seen again. What man knows what all might lurk in this fathomless deep???

Yesterday Fish Wife told me about this horrible nightmare she had the night before last. While I could tell she was defintely shaken from the experience, I cannot understand what was so terrible about it. Frankly, I can see an "up" side.

"I dreamed this big meteor struck the middle of our farm, making a huge, deep hole that filled up with water to make about a 3 acre pond. It was clear, but colored bright blue, like at the Blue Hole."

"From somewhere, I think from out of the meteor, these three big adult Plesiosaurs showed up. (NOTE: While she was sure the Plesiosaurs came from inside the meteor, I wonder if they did not originate in the pellucidarian depths of the newly formed crater lake.) You managed to obtain some of their offspring, and the next thing I know you're keeping 4 baby Plesiosaurs, about 16"-18" long, in a Rubbermaid trough in our basement."

"The babies could only live in the Blue Hole water from the meteor crater, so you had me constantly going down the incredibly steep sides of the hole to bring up 5 gallon buckets of water for them. You yelled at me if I spilled any of the water! Plus, I had to go to the pet store every day to get a big bag of feeder goldfish for them to eat. It was horrible!"

In thinking about this story, some question have come to my mind:
1) Why do I get blamed for things like this?
2) Do Plesiosaurs come up on to the beach to lay eggs in the sand, like turtles? Or are they live bearers, like Ichthyosaurs?
3) Are Plesiosuars susceptible to VHS, or can I ship them interstate without having to undergo expensive testing to satisfy the government that my Plesiosaur hatchery is VHS-free?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
She's obviously thinking about a third pond for you.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Quite disturbing, Theo.

I can think of several possible interpretations; of these, Sunils is clearly the most benevalent. Perhaps even psychotically optimistic.

For clarification's sake, were you a Sagoth or a Mahar in the dream? The distinction could be critical in proper discovery in its meaning.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Were you able to fly?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
She's obviously thinking about a third pond for you.

With deep blue clear water and large animal life to boot - and that you can raise the young ones in the basement. Have I heard this story before ? \:D

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Theo, apparently Fish Wife's subliminal mind has been affected by the EMFs given off by Po boy RAS system.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
You guys may be more disturbed than I am.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I have been to the Blue Hole many times (since I had a strong non profit connection to the ODNR while taking over the hatchery) its a cool place!! even better when the local "solids" float up and the smell of open septic is a real turn on. So. did she mention the smell?? or the part where you had a oxygen infuser built into the crater like pond for aeration?? Perhaps it was a sign from God that you need to start with a hand trowel, and dig a hole halfway to china and see if the backyard is secretly on top of an old area laden with dino eggs..... Or maybe when DNR can not any longer afford to stock steelies, you should buy the place for your own personal hatchery and see if you can cross breed turtles, fish and birds to creat your own species, anmed after your wife of course, that would be the ultimate compliment......

I sure wish my wife would dream about having another big hole in the yard, that would be awesome!! Your a lucky man!

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Were you wearing strange clothes in the dream Theo?

Oh and I call dibs on the first Plesiosaurs hatchling. I think swimming in the Plesiosaurs Pond would be a wonderful attraction at my Winoceros World.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ah, if only we could all be as positive as Sunil! \:\) Or maybe just as quick on our feet? \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Theo, have you rented the movie "Waterhorse" recently?

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
No. We own a copy.

-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Were you wearing strange clothes in the dream Theo?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure she would have mentioned that.

She did ask me Tuesday evening if I was channeling Lusk. I have my Winter beard now and I wore a PB shirt to work that day.

Quote:
Oh and I call dibs on the first Plesiosaurs hatchling. I think swimming in the Plesiosaurs Pond would be a wonderful attraction at my Winoceros World.

Done. You may have to fly to Ohio and keep him in the trough in the back of my truck all the way to California. They're a little too toothy to ship in a double plastic bag filled with pure O2.

-S. M. Stirling
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Theo will they hit a lure and what is the stocking rate?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
james, they won't hit a lure but they will sing songs and dance.

Stocking rates are to taste, but I suggest 1,000 per acre.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i dont make my wife have nightmares, after living w/ me for 15 years they come naturally to her.

GSF are people too!

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Theo, My advice is to go ahead and buy that track hoe that you have been lusting after. Your wife's nightmares about meteors and prehistoric life will abruptly end as she gains a whole new perspective on worry. \:D

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
OP Online Confused
Lunker
She'd love to have a trackhoe, but I might never get her out of it so I could run it.

-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
james, they won't hit a lure but they will sing songs and dance.

Stocking rates are to taste, but I suggest 1,000 per acre.

I am thinking that this is Theo's super secret plan to replace LMB with Plesiosaurs as the appex predator in his ponds, this is clearly an attempt to grow the next world record BG and beat Bruce to the punch.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well that Shorty and to avoid those BISA dues.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I didnt get a reciept for the last cash payment I sent in for my dues...did someone change bank accounts?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My guess is that the plesiosaurs can be moved by space shuttle, but Cody won't be able to cross state lines. It'll result in an extremely quick trip--Lots of fuel wasted.

*Sunil looks on as fish wife spills water and states, "There goes another two gallons", and rolls eyes.*

Last edited by Bruce Condello; 12/19/08 09:39 PM. Reason: original post wasn't weird enough.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Do state lines extend to outer space? Or do they base the illegal transport of plesiosaurs soley on the origins of lift off and touchdown to determine legal jurisdictions??????????

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Guys you are WAY over thinking this.

First, we have to wait and see what type of Plesiosaurs it is that Theo has. There are long-necked Plesiosaurs and short-necked Plesiosaurs. Some Plesiosaurs only reach about 10 feet in length, other Plesiosaurs can grow to about 65 feet. Personally I'm hoping Theo has the short necked species that maxes out at about 10 feet.

Second, in order to protect his investment I think it is doubtful that Theo will part with any of his breeding stock. Would you? He'll probably only sell hatchling or YOY triploid Plesiosaurses that will be incapable of reproduction. Using this strategy he'll have the Plesiosaurs market cornered (at least for fresh water species).

Finally, given that Theo will probably only sell hatchlings or YOY (we won't be shipping adult Plesiosaurses) we could move them much easier that trying to ship an adult.

So stop all the darn speculation and wait and see what is available. Sheesh you guys can be so immature.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Guys you are WAY over thinking this.

First, we have to wait and see what type of Plesiosaurs it is that Theo has. There are long-necked Plesiosaurs and short-necked Plesiosaurs. Some Plesiosaurs only reach about 10 feet in length, other Plesiosaurs can grow to about 65 feet. Personally I'm hoping Theo has the short necked species that maxes out at about 10 feet.

Second, in order to protect his investment I think it is doubtful that Theo will part with any of his breeding stock. Would you? He'll probably only sell hatchling or YOY triploid Plesiosaurses that will be incapable of reproduction. Using this strategy he'll have the Plesiosaurs market cornered (at least for fresh water species).

Finally, given that Theo will probably only sell hatchlings or YOY (we won't be shipping adult Plesiosaurses) we could move them much easier that trying to ship an adult.

So stop all the darn speculation and wait and see what is available. Sheesh you guys can be so immature.

Yes mom.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Blazzzy, jkrueger
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/17/24 09:57 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM