Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
anybody ever done a waterproof deck over living space (aka roof top deck?) and what did you use, and how has it held up?

I'm curious about this, also. I'm planning an inverted dormer that will act as a balcony on our next home, and it will have living space below it. My thought was to flash completely around the perimeter of the area, put a concrete friendly panning above the joists, and then pour a layer of lightweight concrete on top of the panning. With the concrete sloping away at 1/4" a foot.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have an uncle who has a beach house that had a 3nd floor deck. He put a deck on the 2nd floor below it and didn't want the water dripping down. I believe he waterproofed the upper deck by covering it with exterior plywood (?) and then had that fiberglassed. The fiberglass was then protected with an expoxy paint. This was about 7-8 years ago and has stood up to the harsh beach environment without any problems. Much lighter than concrete too.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Dave...

Here is how it is done. Get a solid sheet of membane that is around 1/8 of an inch thick. You will need to make sure that your deck slopes 1/4 inch per foot for drainage and install a scupper or drain or some kind. Lay it in the area and use contact cement to adhere it to the plywood base. You then put the membrane up the sides of the wall and have siding or something cover the top so that water can't get under it. You then construct a free floating deck to sit on top of the rubber membrane. It is important that you use a router and completely round over any edges that touch the membrane so that it doesn't get cut. If you have more questions, please let me know.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
We have a water proof deck over our garage at our So Cal house. It is a system of galvanized metal lath, acrylic modified cements, fiberglass, and a pigmented sealer. It had to be applied by a deck coating company. It is UV resistant and has held up quite well so far (was applied about 6 years ago). It wasn't cheap though.

Google "waterproof deck coating" and you'll see several products.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks guys.

ezylman, by membrane do you mean a bitchethane type product?

JHAP, did you do something like this?:

http://www.rdenterprises.net/waterproof.htm

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
DIED, ours looks more like this product. In fact the photo of the grey sample in the lower right corner of the webpage looks exactly like our deck.

deck coating

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Not sure on the type of membrane. I haven't had to do it myself, but it is how the contractor did it on my brother's beach house in Galveston. I would assume that any type of membrane that isn't dissolved by contact cement will suffice. You could probably find a suitable product somewhere on the web. I would think that a thick pond liner would be ideal. The wood decking will do a good job of blocking out virtually all of the UV rays. The nice thing about the system is that you can pull up the wood decking every year or so and rinse the membrane off with a hose to prevent buildup of leaves, dirt, etc.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Victor
DIED, not sure what kind of heat you have for your place, but my uncle did a sunroom and placed hot water piping in the slab (he has hot water heat). It keeps that slab and room very nice in the winter.

People here in PondBoss sure can spend your money, can't we?

amen victor.

here are some pics of the stamped concrete floor we put in for the enclosed porch.........no floor heating but the room will have a small wood stove for heat \:\)

on another note, check this out!!! the baddest carport in el dorado county, keep my my little aluminum baby dry (dont want the boat to get wet you know)........even the saw horses are feelin it \:D

GSF are people too!

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Nice wood.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
the enclosed porch will have inside walls of this beautiful and cost effective wood lap called "v-rustic".

this pic shows the framing for the waterproof deck above the porch. we're gonna use the product in that link i provided above. i'm still skeptical as to whether or not it will hold up over time, our summers are pretty brutal.

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Nice wood.

its not roofed yet weissguy, it'l have the same sexy blue roof thats on the rest of the house.

or were you talking about the sawhorses? \:D

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 12/12/08 07:19 PM.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Man Dave...you're really turnin' the place inside out. Tell me more about the V-rustic.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
its a knotty pine board available in our area. the boards form a v-shaped groove when butted together. i forget exactly the cost right now, but it was on the order of cents per foot and it takes a light deck type stain real nice. can be used for exterior or interior. many folks install it on diaganols or herring bone patterns......guess i'm boring, i liked regular old horizontal pattern.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
It's looking great Dave!

Has it snowed there yet?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks jhap. gutters and downspouts went on today and carport roof goes on tomrrow in between what little rain we're actually getting (0.6" friday-tuesday \:\( )

no snow here, about 500 ft to low, but did get some freezing rain last night, and some ice on roof.

GSF are people too!

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W

its not roofed yet weissguy, it'l have the same sexy blue roof thats on the rest of the house.

or were you talking about the sawhorses? \:D

Sawhorses of course. \:D \:D \:D

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i didnt do it on purpose

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Freudian freak

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
DIED - Progress looks fantastic. Great job.

As for the sawhorses - I hope mine don't get the same idea. I have three pairs already and they are always in the way.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
i didnt do it on purpose

Suuuuure you didn't. \:D

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
actually one of the carpenters did it wondering if i'd notice. i actually didnt notice until i worked those pics over for photobucket......these are the same guys who adorned my house w/ this:

i am blessed.

tom cruise gets to see all this for the first time on saturday.

"human habitat turned to fruition (and mas questiones)"

GSF are people too!

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
BTW, this is what that part of the house looks like now:

the new deck is not trex, its a product called Azek......expensive but really nice, should last forever. not supposed to delaminate or stain like trex does.

we used Azek tongue and groove for the front porch floor. its niche stuff...no maintenance other than a broom and once a year hose off.

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 12/18/08 08:52 PM.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
To say that DIED and DWIED completely transformed the look of thier house is an understatement. The place is beautiful.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Should have left the Flying V on the wall though.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
I have seen the use of Cedar trees as support posts both on porches and inside of homes and commercial businesses, but I have not been able to find out details of the best way to remove the bark and how to get the nice finish even though I have searched the web.

I remember that both Bob Lusk and Eddie Walker have used them in their construction, and they both do showcase work. I would appreciate hearing from Bob, Eddie or anyone else on the best way to do this. Any advice on how to best remove the bark, what type of treatment is used, is sanding recommended and should the trees be aged before this is done?

While you are at it, best recommendations for securing the base to the concrete floor. Thanks.

"If it is to be, it is up to me"

10 acre Lake in the middle of 62 acres
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images