Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,960
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (araudy, Boondoggle, JabariStokes, Bing, emactxag, catscratch, Sunil, KenHorton), 1,252 guests, and 514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
This is a pic from Jeff of Ashburnham, Massachusetts. He's given me permission to post it here. Here's the background o the pic.

"Hi my name is Jeff Gaffney from Ashburnham, your welcome to use the picture, I was by myself ice fishing Qaubog Pond after a snow storm, after checking my tilts, turned to walk back to sled and chair, and there Blue was, he scared me more than I scared him, I stood still for a minute, then I could tell I wasn't bothering him by moving around, took a few cell phone shots, sat in my chair and he persisted to inspect my gear, tapping with his beak on everything, walking all around, and on the sled, while I'm sitting 2' away, Blue looked at me a couple times, and I thought once or twice he would have sat in my lap, he hung out with me a good few hours, pretty cool visitor for the day."

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/14/08 03:19 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
That is cool in a way. It intimidates me when something wild is not intimidated, though. He knew his next meal was close at hand and would have pecked out an eye to get it.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I hope you tossed him a bluegill or two!

I know its Not a good idea to feed wild animals, but I would have tossed him a bite anyway.

Midwest Dave, 3.5 acre lake, 47 acres timber & CRP.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
That is cool in a way. It intimidates me when something wild is not intimidated, though. He knew his next meal was close at hand and would have pecked out an eye to get it.

Yeah I informed Jeff they can be dangerous up close. I know of a trapper that is blind in one eye because he tried to remove one from one of his traps. The bills are sharp and very fast. I've been told they will go for your eyes if they feel they need to strike.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I really enjoy watching those birds.

One day a few years back, my friend and I were fishing on my pond from a boat, and we were able to get within about 15 feet of a blue heron who was on shore. We threw it some dead shiners from my bait bucket, and it ate them.

BTW, I caught my first bass ever that had a wound like some of you have posted that was an obvious heron poke. This is after having owned that pond for 10+ years now.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I don't think I'm going to renew my federal permit to take them out if I need to. The heavy mono staked around the ponds works quite well as long as I'm not too lazy to put it up. It's a pain to put it up and take it down when seining, but after my dog died I just can't kill anything anymore. I feel like a hypocrite whining about the death of my dog when I kill animals that are just doing what comes natural. Call me a softy but that's the way it going to be. It's save me $100.00 too. ;\)

They are fascinating birds. Very adaptable and intelligent.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
I feel like a hypocrite whining about the death of my dog when I kill animals that are just doing what comes natural. Call me a softy but that's the way it going to be.

Cecil, that's a sure sign of aging. Not in the sense of "getting old", but learning life's lessons.

GBH's concern me, water turkeys make me want to kill, but I'm pretty laid back about the white egrets at my pond. They wade around the edges, walking 20-30 feet between strikes. Whatever they are eating is too small for me to make out, so I'm sure it's small BG, minnows, and crawfish. I don't think they are eating machines like the above. So we have an uneasy truce at the moment. I let them eat a few small fish, they let me admire their beauty and grace.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: bobad
....... I let them eat a few small fish, they let me admire their beauty and grace.

nicely put bobad, thats been the theme here as well.

GSF are people too!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
very cool pics and story There is a time and place for all of gods creatures. Another example is a river otter. While hunting last year near a swamp I watched a pair swim, catch fish, laydown underneath my tree and groom each other. Very cool. However if in my pond I use for raising trout I would kill them in a heart beat. Make sense? I see where you are coming from Cecil. If on a sportfish pond I would not do anything with GBH if in aquaculture ponds diff story.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My brother lives on a beautiful 3 ac pond up near Hancock MI., set back into the woods. He stocks a hundred (or so) trout now and then. I asked him if he fishes it. He said "yeah, every once in awhile I fish a couple out, but my biggest return is when an Osprey hits the water and pops back out with a trout".

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
very cool pics and story There is a time and place for all of gods creatures. Another example is a river otter. While hunting last year near a swamp I watched a pair swim, catch fish, laydown underneath my tree and groom each other. Very cool. However if in my pond I use for raising trout I would kill them in a heart beat. Make sense? I see where you are coming from Cecil. If on a sportfish pond I would not do anything with GBH if in aquaculture ponds diff story.

An otter I would have to kill simply because there wouldn't be an effective way to keep them out. But as far as the herons if I prevent them from wading in there's no need to kill them.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I once had a GBH fly in front of my motorcycle when I was crossing a creek bottom here in IL. Dang thing crapped about a gallon of bird poo all the way across the road!! Thank God it was about 10 feet in front of me and I wasn't up to speed or I would have had to head back home and change!

Midwest Dave, 3.5 acre lake, 47 acres timber & CRP.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM