Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,807
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (shores41, Donatello, Justin W, teehjaeh57, Theo Gallus, Sunil, FishinRod, New Guy, jludwig), 1,061 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
These fish are in tanks and listed are both parent species. Fish were intentional crosses by mixing eggs with milt of known parents. I believe they are all males. For the real fish geeks the discussion gets quite interesting.

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php?showtopic=5228

Cody Note: See below for pictures of the pumpkinseed hybrids.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/26/12 07:23 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Can't access the photos. You have to be a member to see them.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
dittos

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Can't see 'em. \:\( \:\( \:\( \:\( \:\(

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Great quote on there by fundulus:

"Hybrids appear, they live and die, and not much happens; kind of like the Seinfeld show."

\:\)

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Great quote on there by fundulus:

"Hybrids appear, they live and die, and not much happens; kind of like the Seinfeld show."

\:\)

My feelings exactly. Never could understand all the buzz about that program, and the guy made gazillions of bucks. Just dont get it.
Then again, I cant get over the big bucks paid to ole whats his name on the late night show...Letterman.
Now, O'Reilly, he deserves the new contract. Quite a comedian(yeh, right) and fence straddler.

Last edited by burgermeister; 12/12/08 07:13 PM. Reason: sp

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Guys,

I can post the pictures here but would it be the ethical thing to do? I mean what if this site's pics were only accessible via registering and I moved pics to another site?

Thoughts?

Or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/12/08 07:54 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Can you ask them for permission? Personally I would think that if you credit the site of origination that they would embrace the free advertising.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Can you ask them for permission? Personally I would think that if you credit the site of origination that they would embrace the free advertising.

I'll ask.

Why don't you guys register? It's painless.

Bruce,

The guy who made the intentional crosses and pics goes by the name of Centrarchid. He not only grows out bluegills in indoor tanks to 1.5 lbs. for foodfish, but apparently is some kind of educator in Missouri. He referred to a "student" which is why I assume he is.

Anyway I was bragging up your bluegills after he asked what kind of growth rate you got. Listen to what kind of growth rate he gets growing them out indoors:

We can raise really nice fish (in terms of weight) fast where exceptional males can reach 1.5 pounds in 18 months...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
We can raise really nice fish (in terms of weight) fast where exceptional males can reach 1.5 pounds in 18 months..

I thought for a second that I fell over dead....but I can still feel my fingers and toes, so maybe I just fainted.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The fly in the ointment was when he said the fish aren't as nice as the ones grown in ponds as in body confirmation, they may have bad fins etc. (in reference to my taxidermy market.)

Here is the entire post:

I am running about a dozen water reuse systems, most with the purpose of growing bluegill from stage between conception and 1.5 pounds.
The confirmation issue I mentioned earlier is caused by high stocking density, sleeping / perching on bottom when lights off, poor diet quality. We can raise really nice fish (in terms of weight) fast where exceptional males can reach 1.5 pounds in 18 months, but like so many other intensive production operations, we tend to produce animals will damaged finnage, odd morphology (sometimes phenotypic plasticity involved), and less than the best coloration. We are trying to lick these problems since many of our animals are finished out in ponds where quality in terms of appearence may be correlated with survival and reproductive performance when turned around for use as brood stock.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/12/08 08:58 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil why don't you tell him to go to Big Bluegill and join in.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I could. I did PM him and ask if it was O.K. to post the pics.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Centrarcid on hte NANFA website I see now is Dr. James Wetzel.

He wants me to establish a link with NANFA (North American Native Fishes Association) to allow me to post the pictures.

Here is is:

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php?s=f56e4f207b5686d131e8023aed0d7cf8&showforum=195

Also to give credit to him for the following pics as:

Dr. James Wetzel
Bluegill Cultigen Project
Aquaculture Research
Department of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
Lincoln University
Jefferson City, MO

He says he can generate / post more images of a similar nature with time.

Here are his own words from the thread on NANFA:

"For those interested or not inclined to accept the existance of hybrids.

My student, while trying to build a photography tank made these images of hybrids involving a female pumpkinseed sunfish. Fish are half-siblings (dam / mother) generated from the same batch of eggs.

All specimans photographed are male. Interesting that some characters of pumpkinseed are obvious in some crosses but not others. Still trying to standardize background and lighting. Hybrid with redear typical in that head profile more similar to redear even among large animals. In contrast with allotetraploid version of pumpkinseed x redear (shown in earlier thread), the diploid shown here does acquire ther black ventral coloration of redear when on the nest."

Quote:
Are these artificially spawned crosses?

"Yes, we squeezed out the eggs and placed them into six dishes before each dish had semen added from bluegill, central longear, greensunfish, redear, redspotted orwarmouth sunfishes. Products were incubated separately until they were large enough to fin clip. Fin clips thought needed only for warmouth and green hybrids thinking they might be hard to distinguish but results were easy to tell apart."

Pumpkinseed X Northern Bluegill

Pumpkinseed X Central Longear

Pumpkinseed X Redear

Pumpkinseed X Green Sunfish

Pumpkinseed X Red Spotted Sunfish

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/13/08 10:45 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Anybody else think Dr. Wetzel would be an interesting speaker at our next Pond Boss Convention? Hint, hint... ;\)

And Branson wouldn't be very far for him to go either would it? Hint, hint. ;\) ;\) ;\)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/13/08 10:12 PM.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
That PSxLongyear is pretty neat looking.

I bet the PSxRES is one snail eating machine.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
That PSxLongyear is pretty neat looking.

I bet the PSxRES is one snail eating machine.

Yes it looks like a big ol' pumpkinseed except for the extended opercular flap!

Why do you think the PSXRES would be a snail eating machine other than both parents eat snails?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/13/08 04:49 PM.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Quote:
Why do you think the PSXRES would be a snail eating machine other than both parents eat snails?

That's pretty much why.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Knowing what cross each is helps see the morphological traits of the parents. See the big mouth on the PS X GSF and the black nape scale tipping on the male PS X BG. Look at the fin differences and the background patterns/colors and the shapes. Nice work Cecil.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Nice work Cecil.

All the credit goes to Dr. Whetzel. All I did was post his pictures.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/13/08 10:13 PM.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Cecil, This is a very interesting thread!

The photos of each cross are amazingly depictive of the individuals combined characteristics.
Were I a young man, I could make my life's work out of something like this. \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
Were I a young man, I could make my life's work out of something like this. \:\)

Yes, it is fascinating. Do you recon it's possible to develop a true breeding hybrid, or is that an oxymoron?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bobad
 Originally Posted By: Dwight

Yes, it is fascinating. Do you recon it's possible to develop a true breeding hybrid, or is that an oxymoron?

You'd have to ask Dr. Whetzel or someone else with expertise in this area. It's over my head.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil you are due credit for finding the info and posting it here "good work) even if the pics/text/info are from another site and person.

Bobad it depends. Here is why. The further apart the 2 parents genetics the greater the diversity of the genes and the more likely the Xs (assuming viability at all) will have increased heterozygosity leading to hybrid vigor followed by outbreeding depression (cause for non-true breeding). The problem is if the genes are real close (northern LMB and Fla LMB) they are often characterized as the same species (sub-species) and the offspring are not crosses in the common sense. Some studies argue that Fla and Nort LMB are different species but the gene difference (heterozygosity) is very small when compared to the difference between for example BG and GSF. Stated broadly "true breeding " fish populations are by definition (or consequence or necessity) the same species or very close ( much closer than the different lepomis).

Last edited by ewest; 12/14/08 11:06 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Eric,

Didn't the American Fisheries Society decide the Florida Largemouth is a different species than the Northern Largemouth?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows