Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,098
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (H20fwler, nvcdl, esshup, Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE), 679 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46796 02/20/04 10:31 AM
D
OP Offline
D
It has been suggested that we start a topic where we can all share some cooking secrets and recipes.
I will start out with a few of my favorites.

Italian Fish
chop up the following:
fresh garlic
3-4 green onions
1 red bell pepper
handfull of fresh mushrooms

squeeze fresh lemons all over your filets and season them with OLD BAY, set aside in a bowl for now.

heat some extra virgin olive oil in a skillet, throw in your crush fresh garlic and we like pine nuts so I throw them in too. Cook this for a few minutes until the garlic is starting to turn color alittle bit. Then lay a stick of real butter in the skillet. When the butter is melted, bring on the rest of the stuff that you chopped up. When the mushrooms start to turn color and cook down some then lay your fish fillets in the skillet. I probably cook them for about 5-7 minutes on each side. I don't turn them but once, so they won't fall apart. and I use a wide spatchala to turn them. How long to cook depends on the thickness of the fillet and how hot your cooking so just watch them and you will figure it out. Now while the fish is cooking I will squeeze another fresh lemon on them and sometimes if available I will pour alittle white wine in the skillet.
Meantime while all this is going on I cook a big pot of angel hair pasta. The wife makes a salad and I also have some garlic bread heading for the oven. I put the angel hair pasta on a plate and then the fish and juice on top. I crack some black pepper on top and then some fresh grated parmassan cheese. If you want to kick it up a notch you can even grate some pepper jack cheese on top too.
This is as good a meal as you will get at any 5 star restuarant. I have cooked this for lots of friends and it blew them away. And it really ain't that hard. The OLD BAY seasoning is important and if you don't have any or haven't ever heard of it then they have a website that you can order from. It's good for other things too like boiled shrimp and crawfish. It's a must for any cook to have in his tool box.

Fried Fish
Many ways to do and they all taste different.
My favorite.
Cut the fillets in small pieces, place in a bowl, squeeze some Frenchs mustard on them then slower add beer, stir and continue until you get the mixture where it's not runny but not pasty. Then I roll them in LOUSIANNA FISH FRY (blue bag)
Then immediately into the hot grease.

Baked Fish
Marinate the fillets in Zesty Italian salad dressing (10 minutes or 10 hours it don't matter)
Place them in some kind of cooking pan. Crumble up Lay's Potatoe chips on top and bake them at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, then open the oven and put cheese on top. ( I usually use Velveeta)
but use your favorite. Now if you wanna kick this up a notch, use Lay's potatoe chips that are the flavored kind like bacon and onion or something. Finish cooking until the cheese is melted. Eat this with a good salad and your favorite vegetables.

Grilled Fish
When you fillet some of those 12-14" bass, leave the skin and scales on. Lay that side down on the grill and they will grill so pretty.
I use different things on the fillets. OLD BAY, fresh lemon, and mix me up some butter and garlic to brush on them. lot's of things a person can use. I like to make up some rice pilaf and fresh peas (purple hull or cream)to go with them.

Anybody hungry yet ? I'm starving typing all this stuff up. If this topic takes off then I will come back in later and throw some more things out. If you have any questions, let me know and if you try some of this and like it, I would appreciate the feedback.

#46797 02/20/04 11:26 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The only problem is the only fish worth eating is Crappie and some of us can't grow them of fear of them getting too out of hand.. :p

#46798 02/20/04 12:46 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Catfish Nuggets

Bake a one pound boneless fillet in a lightly greased glass dish. 350degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until flakey

Crumble the fish in a bowl

In another bowl
beat three egg yolks( save whites)
stir in 3 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp salt and pepper(each)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbs minced fresh parsley
the fish

Beat the egg whites till stiff then fold into the mixture

Drop spoon sized lumps of mixture into hot oil and cook till golden brown

Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauces

#46799 02/20/04 05:24 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tartar sauce.

Mayonnaise or miracle whip or? I know one guy who uses Ranch dressing. Add some dill relish and some spiced chopped garlic. Then some lemon or lime juice.

Going further. Ketchup to taste. Or if you want to do it right, some fresh garden ripened tomato's. If they aren't vine ripened, don't bother. An alternative is some salsa. Store bought works ok.

All of the above is "to taste". In other words, keep trying it as you make it. If you put something in that you don't like, start over. Fresh tartar sauce works pretty well as a dip if you kinda hold back on the mayonnaise and use copious or at least liberal doses of Budweiser.

#46800 02/20/04 05:36 PM
M
M
Here's my favorite:

SAGANAGA LAKE TROUT DIJON
There are no amounts listed for ingredients because they’re not needed. After a time or two you will have this down just the way you like it.

Lake Trout or other fish fillets
Dijon mustard
Breadcrumbs, dry or fresh
Dry white vermouth
Melted butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped onions
Paprika

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cut trout fillets into serving-sized pieces. Smear fish liberally with mustard. Coat with breadcrumbs. Lay with skin side down in buttered baking pan. Drizzle first with vermouth, then with butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Smother with onions; sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes or until a fork will just go through the fish.

Taken from: The Gunflint Lodge Cookbook. Ron Berg & Sue Kerfoot.

We have a page of our web site dedicated to fish recipes. Check it out if you like:
http://www.keystonehatcheries.com/default.asp?id=36

Mike Robinson
Keystone Hatcheries
#46801 02/20/04 06:59 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My favorite:
Sunflower Seed Fillets

Ingredients: 3# bonless fillets
1cup milk
2 eggs
1/4cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 cup crushed Ritz crakers
1/2 Tsp ginger
1 Tsp each: black pepper, salt, garlic powder, paprika & Cajun pepper
1/3 cup sunflower shelled seeds
1 Tbsp parsley flakes
1 Tbsp dried onion flakes

Beat eggs & milk in bowl. Add pinch of salt & pepper, cover & place in refrig for 1 hr.
Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl.
Heat oil in pan to 350-375 deg.
Remove milk & egg mixture from frig & mix again.
Dip fillets in egg/milk mix & then in dry ingredients. REPEAT & then place in preheated pan for 1 1/2 to 2 min. Turn & cook for 1 min. Should turn golden brown.

ps: These will put a smile on your face! \:D

Flaky Fillets

Ingredients:
1 to 2 lbs of fillets
1 cup crunched-up plain corn flakes
mayonnaise
Old Bay seasoning
Pepper

Cover fillets with mayonnaise
Add Old Bay & pepper to taste
Cover fillets with crunched cereal
Preheat oven to 375 deg
Bake for 15 - 20 min

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
#46802 02/21/04 07:23 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
David,
Here's some blackened fish recipe's I have on file:

This recipe was featured on
"You're the Chef" episode #107.
Buy this episode from WVIA.Recipe inspired by Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Louisiana Kitchen Cookbook.

Louisiana Blackened
Yield: two portions

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. fresh white fish (sole, flounder, haddock or cod), butterflied into thinner fillets
1/2 c. melted butter
2 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme leaves, dried
1/2 tsp. oregano leaves, dried

Procedure:
Brush the fish with the melted butter until it is coated on both sides.

Combine all the dry ingredients until they are uniformly mixed.

Heat a large frying pan, sauté pan or cast iron skillet until it is extremely hot, almost smoking.

Coat the fish with the spice mix on both sides. Lay the fish into the frying pan. It will smoke and sizzle, and may even flame up. That is OK; the flame will not spread from the pan. Allow the fish to cook over the high heat for about 1 minute. Turn over and allow to cook on the other side for the same amount of time. The fish will be charred and crisp on the outside and moist and fully cooked on the inside if it is not more than 1/2-inch thick.

If you are concerned that the fish may still be raw inside, finish cooking it in a 450°F oven.

The same seasoning and process may be used with beef steaks, pork chops or tenderloin, and chicken breast. Just finish the meat to the doneness you like in a hot oven.

Will Welch's Blackening

4 catfish fillets
olive oil
1/3 lb cheap fatty bacon
2 t each of:
garlic powder
thyme
white pepper
black pepper
cayenne pepper
lemon pepper
cumin or chili powder
rosemary (crush in hand before adding)
fennel seed (crush with back of spoon)
1 t allspice
1 t oregano
1/2 t salt

First off, you should cook this in a well-ventilated kitchen.
Fry the bacon, then feed it to the dogs and hang onto the grease.
Keep it just this side of smoking. Combine all dry ingredients, rub fillets with olive oil then coat liberally with spices. Drop in hot grease and cook until a you can easily put a fork through them (nothing more evil than overcooked catfish).
Serve with lemon butter, below:

1/4 c melted butter,
1 T lemon juice,
1/2 t tobasco
sliced green onions

(note: This is a very robust recipe. I have varied proportions by as much as 100%, and left out ingredients entirely, with varying, interesting, but never disastrous effect.)

Cajun Spice

Ingredients:
1 T Cayenne
3 T Thyme
1 T Oregano leaves
2 T Paprika
1 T Black Pepper
5 T Basil Leaves
1 T Garlic Powder
1 T Salt

Mix this all together - you will get about 3/4 C of spice mix. This was plenty for 3 lbs of fish. I was told that the same seasoning works well
with boneless chicken breasts.
The fillets were about 1 inch thick - don't go thicker than
this, as these seemed to barely get done in the middle.

Heat a cast iron skillet over a high heat until it is VERY hot. Combine
the dry spices together in a bowl. Press the seasoning mixture over both
sides of the fish. Use as much as you can get to stick. Sprinkle 1t salt
in the hot skillet, then put the fillets in. Cook the fish until the
underside begins to char or blacken, then turn and cook the other side.
This will cook quickly and creates a lot of smoke.

This is a fairly extreme recipe. My wife thought I was crazy, and that the fish would be ruined. You are actually burning the outside of the fish! Even so, it turned out great. The meat was firm, and with just enough spice heat to get the mouth tingling.

Two of the recipes I got call for using lemon butter to fry the fish.

Dip the fillets in the butter before coating with the spice mix, and put a bit of butter in the pan too. I chose to not use the butter, as it would probably cause even more smoke than the above method. I will try using butter on the last fillets next time, just to see if it works.

I'd like to mention that this recipe is not for the faint at heart, especially when cooking the fillets. A fairly hot pan is required and the fumes from the cooking spices can burn your eyes and make you cough; it's also a good way to test your smoke alarm. So if you are still interested, here goes.

Pepper Blackened
It's important that only dried herbs are used in this recipe and that the fillets be about 1/2 inch thick.

Ingredients:
3 pound fish steaks or
fillets, cut 1/2 inch
thick and chilled
butter
1 T paprika
2 t cayenne pepper
1 t black pepper
1 t white pepper
2 t dried thyme
2 t dried oregano
2 t dried basil
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t salt
lemon wedges for
garnish

Keep the fish well chilled. Melt some butter and put in a shallow dish. Mix the herbs and spices together and sprinkle on a separate plate. Dip the fish in the melted butter and then roll the buttered fish in the herb mixture. Make sure the fish is well coated with herb mixture. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. ( Note: I have tried this recipe without dipping the fish in melted butter and without refrigerating and it has worked fine. Although I used a small bit of sesame oil in the pan to cook the fish. I also add extra black pepper and cayenne pepper to the herb mixture for a zing, about half again as much as is called for. ) Heat skillet to hot. This is a good time to use a cast iron skillet. Place fish in skillet and cook 2 minutes per side or as long as it takes. It's always better to under cook fish than it is to over cook. After all the fish is cooked, add butter to cooled skillet and serve as a sauce. This is a killer way to serve fish!

Low Carb Blackened
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
6 (4 ounce) fillets trout
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

1 In a small bowl, mix together paprika, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, cumin, black pepper, white pepper, thyme and salt; set aside. Heat a heavy cast iron pan on high heat until extremely hot, about 10 minutes.
2 Pour 3/4 cup melted butter into a shallow dish. Dip each fillet into butter, turning once to coat both sides. Sprinkle both sides of fillets with spice mixture, and gently pat mixture onto fish.
3 Place fillets into hot pan without crowding. Carefully pour about 1 teaspoon melted butter over each fillet. Cook until fish has a charred appearance, about 2 minutes. Turn fillets, spoon 1 teaspoon melted butter over each, and cook until charred. Repeat with remaining fish.

Makes 6 servings

Nutrition Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 420
Total Fat: 35.3g
Cholesterol: 150mg
Sodium: 428mg
Total Carbohydrates: 1.8g
Dietary Fiber: 0.7g
Protein: 24.3g

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
#46803 02/23/04 10:23 AM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Two years ago, we started soliciting recipes, to create a "Pond Boss Reader Cookbook." Received a total of six recipes. But, this site has grown, and lots more people participate. If it is the wish of the forum, post more recipes, and send them to my personal e-mail box, and we'll put them in book form for everyone to enjoy. To make it fun, if you have a story to go with the recipe, let us have the story. In the recipe book, we will write the story, provide the recipe, and give credit to the provider.
I talked with a reader in south Louisiana several years ago, and he gave me a recipe. But, the story made the recipe. It was handed down from several generations, man to boy, at their long time hunting camp. It was a rite of passage to be able to cook this recipe for the rest of the hunters. It made a great story. And, the recipe was not too bad, either.
How about it?

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#46804 02/24/04 09:52 PM
N
N
Fried fish -
Mix 1/2 corn meal and 1/2 white flour, how much depending on how much fish you plan to fry. Add about 1 teaspoon (aint that the small one?) of Tony Chacheries Creole seasoning and mix it up. Dip the fishes in that and cook in peanut oil till they float. Then another minute, just to be sure. The Tony Chacheries makes it!

Grilled Carp
Cut a white pine 1X6 about 18 inches long. Filet the carp and lay on the pine. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste and cover with lemon juice and some lemon slices. Bake for 45 minutes. Throw away the carp and eat the board.

Nick Smith
#46805 02/25/04 08:20 AM
W
W
Deep Fried Fish
Saltine cracker crumbs - buy them as crumbs or crush crackers finely yourself
salt and pepper to taste
maybe some garlic powder or your choice of seasonings
two eggs beaten

dip fillets in crumbs then eggwash then back in the cracker crumbs

deep fry 'til golden brown in hot oil

enjoy

#46806 03/16/04 11:14 AM
B
B
Lazy Cook?

When you fillet your bass don't remove the skin. Cook them skin side down on the grill and just add lemon, butter, and pepper to taste. Slap it on a plate, and just scoop out the meat with a fork. Try it!!

#46807 03/16/04 01:52 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Great recipes folks!!!! I can share a couple of mine and some tips on how I fry them too. I prefer Yellow Perch, even to the crappie mentioned by big pond, the debate will live forever but to me perch are the perfect fish to eat.

I fry most all of the fish I eat, to do it properly you must have hot oil. Oil that is not hot enough will soak into the fillets, properly heated hot oil will scald the outside of the fish and turn the moisture inside the fillets to steam, and actually does the cooking of the meat.

For a dry breading I usually mix 2 cups cornmeal to 1 cup flour and add lemon pepper, about a tablespoon or so, more if you like. I make sure my fish are soaked in water, the key is to have the fillets damp so the breading sticks, I usually bread in a coffee can, put a dozen fillets in, close the lid, hold both ends and shake em up. The oil should be hot, hot, hot, if you put a drop of water in and it doesn't pop, it ain't hot enough. Fish being properly fried are noisy, lots of popping and sizzling, this is the water turning to steam and cooking the fish. You can tell when a batch of fish has fried enough by the sound, the water is steamed out and the color of the breading turns that yummy gold color. I usually just pull these out and drain them on a plate with paper towels under them, if you have a lot, like at a fish fry, get a brown papaer grocery bag, fill it with the fish, add salt and pepper, fold the bag top down and shake them around to salt them all up good.

A good beer batter is made with bisquick and beer, although when camping in Northern Quebec we used the cheap pancake mix we had along and it worked just as good. The batter is simple, add beer and bisquick, mix, batter and fry. The batter should be a little runny once mixed, like you are making pancakes. The remaining batter can be fried when the fish are all done, it's like hush puppies. Speaking of hush puppies, who has a recipe for them?

#46808 03/21/04 04:35 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We really enjoy our Bass with a Pear and Blue Cheese Sauce.
2 bass fillets, flour seasoned with salt and pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup sliced almonds
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. minced scallion
1 ripe pear, peeled and cut into slices
1/4 cup white wine
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. blue cheese
Dredge the bass in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess, dip in egg and then coat in almonds. Melt butter until hot and saute bass about 6 minutes on each side or until tender. Transfer fillets to a plate and cover to keep warm. Drain excess grease from pan. Add scallions and the pear slices and cook 1 or 2 minutes. Add wine and cook a few more minutes. Add cream, season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice and taste to adjust seasoning. At the last minute, add the blue cheese and spoon over fish.
We found this recipe in an old copy of Field and Steams.
We have served this many times to our guests and they have all raved about it and asked for the recipe.

paul weatherholt
#46809 03/26/04 10:45 AM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Well I found a hush puppy recipe on the web, modified it a little due to my bare cupboards and came up with this:

1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 TSP baking powder
1 egg ( I was out of eggs so I added 2 TBSP mayo instead)
1 cup buttermilk (I used regular milk) as needed
1 medium onion diced very fine

mix dry ingredients very well, then add the rest and mix well, should be able to roll these into a ball to fry, I just used a spoon and a butter knife and dropped dollops into the hot oil, fry until a golden brown color. I am going to try it with the egg and buttermilk but the ones I made last night are tasty, I fried them right along with the fish, same oil, just like they do in Dixie.

#46810 04/21/04 11:46 AM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Easy one for grilled catfish:

Rub the filets in olive oil and place in an aluminum foil pan. Make sure there is some extra oil to keep the filets from sticking. We then coat the filets with either Old Bay seasoning or a local product called Brother's Spicy rub. Grill for 15 to 20 minutes depending on thickness and type of grill. Don't even need to turn them. Very easy, but still healthy and good.

#46811 04/21/04 03:54 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Does anyone have a really good pinto beans recipe?

#46812 04/26/04 07:47 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Dave, when I cook pinto beans, people seem to hurt themselves.
I don't measure but here is the scoop.

1lb pinto beans
1 yellow onion med.
1 small bell pepper
3-4 tbs. of chili powder ( a must)
Tony's seasoning to taste

I start out by frying 2-3 slices of bacon is a pot. Then I add water and all of the above. I cook them for 3-4 hours. I cook them down enough that often times more water must be added.

If I have some ham, then I cut it up and throw it in. Sometimes I will cut up some Eckrige sausage and throw it in.

And if you want to give it that Spanish flare. Then during the last 30min. chop up some Cilontro
and throw it in.

Lot's of ways to change it up but the basics remain the same regardless. Two main points are chili powder and long cook time.

Lot's people soak their beans but if you do this then you can't cook it down because the beans will fall apart on you.

#46813 04/28/04 07:20 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Dave, Ooops I forgot the other day that I also throw in some chopped up garlic.

#46814 09/29/04 07:19 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Pottsy offered this link which I have to say has lots of recipes:
http://www.catfishinstitute.com/

Ric
Ric Swaim #141047 12/10/08 06:49 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Has anybody ever used pond fish for bouillabaisse?

The moseying gourmet

Last edited by burgermeister; 12/10/08 06:53 PM.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I soak my catfish fillets in vinegar for about 30 minutes (time may vary by size)...then rinse real real real real good.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Has anybody ever used pond fish for bouillabaisse?

Kind of, but not exactly. Being of Finnish heritage, I still make mojakka in the winter from the filleted skeletons and heads of bluegill and crappie. To this day, there is an annual mojakka (pronouced moy ahka)festival about 20 miles from where I grew up. This site tells a little bit about it:

Mojakka.com

My North American Native cousins and inlaws also had a great fish soup called "suckerhead soup" which Andrew Zimmern featured on his TV show recently. We made it from redhorse suckers from the rivers that flowed into Lake Superior.

Good eatn'
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
catmandoo #141060 12/10/08 08:25 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Good site, Cat! Lots of potatoes, huh? I saw a few bouillabaise recipes that use slices of potatoes. The French and Greeks must laugh at that! Do you usa a recipe close to any on the web site?
I am using a NOLA bouilla mix that has all seasonings and 13 beans and peas. I will eat the beans and soup, then get fish, boil hard for a few minutes, then add fish and water to the beans for the next meal.

BTW...I spent 2 wks, 2 diff. times in Pori, installing comm. equip. on new Global Marine semi-submersible rigs back in the 80's. They like their wodka. Finlandia, but not the fruity ones you see now.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Good site, Cat! Lots of potatoes, huh? I saw a few bouillabaise recipes that use slices of potatoes. The French and Greeks must laugh at that! Do you usa a recipe close to any on the web site?
I am using a NOLA bouilla mix that has all seasonings and 13 beans and peas. I will eat the beans and soup, then get fish, boil hard for a few minutes, then add fish and water to the beans for the next meal.

BTW...I spent 2 wks, 2 diff. times in Pori, installing comm. equip. on new Global Marine semi-submersible rigs back in the 80's. They like their wodka. Finlandia, but not the fruity ones you see now.

Burger,

No real recipe. Especially for my mother's family, this was an end-of-year starvation soup that was served with hard tack. The lutefisk had been eaten at Christmas and New Years. You used what remained in the root cellar, from snow/gut pile behind the sauna, and whatever fresh protein was at hand.

In today's times, things are a quite a bit better, but I carry on the tradition.

But, I still enjoy to cooking for the hungry masses. Here we are doing harvest stew. We'd do 1000 quarts of stew each October. I'm the one in the middle with the blue cap.

Then there is head cheese. I'll start that tomorrow night. We'd slaughter pigs before each of the major holidays. My favorite delicacy was (and still is) "sylte" (head cheese).

Sylte it is quite different from cheese head!

Good Eatn'
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
catmandoo #141183 12/11/08 02:51 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I am gettin hungry! Sunil, this is one of my favorites and definitely one for you to try out.

SMALLMOUTH BASS WITH GARLIC BUTTER, CHIVES AND MUSHROOMS Serve the following with lots of crusty French bread for sopping up the garlic butter.

6-8 T. butter
1-4 cloves garlic, crushed
2-1/2 lb. Bass fillets
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Dry White wine or water
8 oz. Fresh mushrooms, quartered
Chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 450°F. In small saucepan, melt butter. Add garlic cloves; remove butter from heat. Let butter and garlic steep for 5 to 10 minutes; remove garlic and discard. Brush ovenproof pan with some of the garlic butter; place fillets skin side down. Brush fillets liberally with butter. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with paprika. Pour a little wine or water around fillets to keep them from sticking to the pan. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until fish is barely cooked. While fish is baking, in a small skillet sauté mushrooms in remaining garlic butter until lightly browned. Remove bass to heated serving plates (along with cooking juices). Spoon on sautéed mushrooms. Sprinkle with chives, if you have them. Serves 6.

Taken from: The Gunflint Lodge Cookbook. Ron Berg & Sue Kerfoot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images