Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,807
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (shores41, Donatello, Justin W, teehjaeh57, Theo Gallus, Sunil, FishinRod, New Guy, jludwig), 1,061 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
TOM G #139670 11/27/08 11:53 AM
Lunker
Lunker
O.k., now I get it, JHAP has a "Pond" in Northern California, that is near San Fransisco, isn't it? All this fish talk is a cover for something more going on, like sharing hotel rooms in your under garments. Are any of you guys hairdressers? I need a new look.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
2catmom #139680 11/27/08 07:09 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: 2catmom
O.k., now I get it, JHAP has a "Pond" in Northern California, that is near San Fransisco, isn't it? All this fish talk is a cover for something more going on, like sharing hotel rooms in your under garments. Are any of you guys hairdressers? I need a new look.

Of course we're all having fun with you Lynda as you probably know. Doubtful if there are any of that persuasion here, but if there were we would probably accept them if they were pond lovers. I know I wouldn't care.

I can't speak for others but I've been attracted to the opposite sex all my life, sometimes unsuccessfully due to a lack of reciprocation!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/27/08 07:10 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
I know, it is all good clean fun. Have to have some fun, you know?
In between cooking I spent the day researching microbes,bacteria, bioremediation, & water chemistry. Seems like there is tons of info on bacteria for cleaning up oil spills, brown fields by non-sellers of the stuff, but not a lot on using it to reduce nutrients in lakes. Lots of info from those who sell it, but these people here won't accept that data. I like the idea of more eco friendly things, but have skeptics to convince in this subdivision.
I know dealing with the g.shad and banning phos. will help, but with only 21" clarity no plants are coming back. We were treated 13x last year and still had green bubbles once the water hit 72.
Cecil, we are former gravel pits, all the soil is sand, what is that in terms of alkaline vs. acidic? I e-mailed a place in India regarding bacteria for water, maybe I'll get something good back. Hope your dog is happy and so are all you great people at Pond Boss, I love this water world.

2catmom #139693 11/28/08 07:21 AM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Whose having fun?All I see is a lot of dedicated scientist doing research on the betterment of ponding and being better stuarts of the land...............................
..JHAP,let the dog have it \:D

Last edited by TOM G; 11/28/08 07:22 AM.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

TOM G #139694 11/28/08 07:48 AM
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Guess what Tom. There is a common sense society. Link is below. I didn't visit it and it probably doesn't have anything to do with real common sense.

commonsensesociety.org

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
heybud #139695 11/28/08 08:31 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Tom G:
You are too kind...I like that steward word, in fact, as we work to try and get more people involved on the other 5 lakes (ours is the worst) and redefine what responsibilities are this winter, I think we should change from Lake Reps to Lake Stewards: It has a better sound to it. Currently, they just call and say: "We have algae! Get the treatment co. out here." Margaret can't effectively manage 6 lakes, that's crap. As we update and redefine "Lake Polices" I think those should be called either "Lake Protection" or "Lake Preservation" policies. One thing is we are banning phos. in lawn fertilizer, and we are making a rule about live bait, like nightcrawlers and worms and artificial bait only. We are thinking that the G. Shad got in here by some cheap fisherman bringing their left over bait back here from Lake St. Clair. Maybe I can contact some of the companies that sell the bacteria and have them provide background information. Just because something is sort of new doesn't mean it isn't good. We are going down the wrong road with massive chemical treatments, and this bac. is supposed to provide more water clarity, and we need that to get plants back - that crappy company bombed us out with copper sulfate and killed all the vegetation, the new wonderful (cute) guys that went through horrible hoops to get in here for us think it will help this lake. We may only need it for one to two years until things get going again. Thanks again.

2catmom #139703 11/28/08 10:20 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
O.k., now I get it, JHAP has a "Pond" in Northern California, that is near San Fransisco, isn't it?

Yes pond is in Northern CA, nope it's not near SF.

All this fish talk is a cover for something more going on, like sharing hotel rooms in your under garments.

What undergarments, commando baybee, that's how JHAP rolls.

Are any of you guys hairdressers? I need a new look.

I couldn't afford the hairdressers correspondence course so I went with the percing/tatooing route. Need any body percing or tatoos? My art work has been compared do the masters and I'm still looking for my first human client.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
Hi JHAP:
you were the first to welcome me into this "family," thanks for that. I am so interested in that Bengal cat. Did he like the pond? When these two were little I would take them out on the paddleboat, but stopped as they got bigger and too heavy to carry out there. Sampson goes on the harness and eats grass at the water's edge though, and Delilah (looks like Sylvester, and on a 10 second delay) just sort of roams around not going too far. Afraid I'm old fashioned - no tattoos, no piercing other than my ears. Maybe you could band some of those fish though?
I lived in CA for one year 1978 in Sylmar in the San Fernando Valley, was a very interesting wild year.

2catmom #139706 11/28/08 10:44 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hi back at ya Lynda. We kept our Bengal at our house in So Cal so he never got a chance to see the pond. No doubt that he would have loved it though.

I do have a fish tagger (thanks again Nately) which I intend to use next year.

Sylmar is where the terrible fires burned earilier this month. Hundreds of homes burned, quite a trajedy.

JWHAP and I will get another cat some day, we sure miss our Conan. We travel too much now to have a pet - wouldn't be fair to the pet IMHO. So for now we just name the pond turtles - they don't come when you call out their name but then again neither did Conan. Thank cat had a mind of his own.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
Lunker
JHAP
The story on Sylmar when I lived there that a decade earIier there was a major earthquake, a veterans hospital toppled one story on top of another, everyone killed. It was a large Park at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN BACTERIA: i viewed at least 50 sites and studies, and one short interesting article on BACTERIA & THE NITROGEN CYCLE BY THE PERSON STUDYING IT THE MOST IS: "WARD UNRAVELS BACTERIA'S ROLE IN NITROGEN CYCLE"

HTTP://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S15/28/21A49/

What I find interesting relating to this article is the salt connection, our lake gets more salt from run-off outside the sub than the other five, we always are highest in nitrates, the phos. tests low in the water (high coming in from the drains) because it must all be taken up by the planktonic algae. I think three years of bombing with copper sulfate by the bad guys killed everything, and we need to reintroduce the bacteria. They have isolated a bacteria to kill zebra mussels now, not for open water systems yet, but I believe this bacteria, microbes, enzymes, is the wave of the future, and much better than chemicals. They did whole lake treatments in the hottest part of the summer, so the zooplankton that is left after the gizzard shad are probably all out of whack too??? Does that make any sense??? Also, we are spring fed, I bet our underground aquifer if loaded with nitrogen too, it is all sand here, wonder if that would filter water before it went under ground? Does any of this make sense?

2catmom #139762 11/29/08 02:35 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Just what IS common sense?My wife talks about that stuff every time I do something dumb(which seems to be alot.
On another note,what happened to the dog?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

2catmom #140023 12/02/08 02:33 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
ANYONE INTERESTED IN BACTERIA: i viewed at least 50 sites and studies, and one short interesting article on BACTERIA & THE NITROGEN CYCLE BY THE PERSON STUDYING IT THE MOST IS: "WARD UNRAVELS BACTERIA'S ROLE IN NITROGEN CYCLE"

HTTP://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S15/28/21A49/

What I find interesting relating to this article is the salt connection, our lake gets more salt from run-off outside the sub than the other five, we always are highest in nitrates, the phos. tests low in the water (high coming in from the drains) because it must all be taken up by the planktonic algae. I think three years of bombing with copper sulfate by the bad guys killed everything, and we need to reintroduce the bacteria. They have isolated a bacteria to kill zebra mussels now, not for open water systems yet, but I believe this bacteria, microbes, enzymes, is the wave of the future, and much better than chemicals. They did whole lake treatments in the hottest part of the summer, so the zooplankton that is left after the gizzard shad are probably all out of whack too??? Does that make any sense??? Also, we are spring fed, I bet our underground aquifer if loaded with nitrogen too, it is all sand here, wonder if that would filter water before it went under ground? Does any of this make sense?

Lynda:
This is a interesting post and subject matter and deserves IMHO a thread of it's own. This thread has gone willy-nilly and your questions and comments seem to have been lost in space. There are some members on this forum that seem to insert mindless dribble into a well thought out thread that causes the afore mentioned thread to stray from it's original topic which it often referred to as a "hyjack" in street slang. I could produce a list of the members than engage in this type of unseemly behavior however I choose to invoke my Fifth Amendment rights as guaranteed by the Constitution on the grounds that any said response may expose myself to civil liability, social disgrace, loss of status, or loss of membership benefits or could in point of fact reduce me to a three star rating and I'm just not willing to take such a risk.

But to return back to the point of this post, you might want to consider starting a new thread with the information contained in your previous post.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
jhap:

I don't know how to start a new thread. I don't know what HTML is disabled and UBBCode is enabled means either. What does IMHO mean? Sorry, I struggle with the computer.

2catmom #140068 12/02/08 09:40 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
IMHO means "In my humble opinion".

What does HTML mean? \:\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
2catmom #140076 12/02/08 11:10 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Lynda,
If you go to the sub-forum area where you would like to start a new thread, there will be a "new topic" button near the upper left corner. Just click on that and start your thread.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
What does HTML mean? \:\)

Not surprised you can't remember, Bruce, since it's been a while.
HTML = Hot Tub, Meadowlark.
See Redneck Aquaculture

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
bbjr #140079 12/02/08 11:36 PM
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bbjr
Lynda,
If you go to the sub-forum area where you would like to start a new thread, there will be a "new topic" button near the upper left corner. Just click on that and start your thread.

Somebody likes them some tool bars!!!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
2catmom,all kidding aside,I have enjoyed your posts.Any info is good.I hope that you continue to postthe interesting info that you have researched.Sharing and comaradery(is that the correct word?) is what makes this a great sight.Humer is a bonus,maybe

I subscribe

TOM G #140088 12/03/08 06:51 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Thank you so much! I have looked up bacteria in the archives and there are some posts about it. I am trying to convince our sub to try the program our new lake treatment co (the cute good guys that went through hoops for Margaret and I to get in here, we passed a petition to get the bad guys out) wants us to try with this bacteria. We are banning phos., then getting rid of the g. shad, next will be the bacteria. It is being used 100% now in Los Angles county, and it is still sort of new for lakes, but IMHO (ha ha) I think it is the wave of the future in water treatment. Talking to people who are trying it (they have 27 lakes using it, that are nutrient laden like ours)they have rave reviews on the difference, with people saying "Our lake has never been better." These people in the sub won't accept data from companies that sell it, so I have to find info from other sources. It isn't cheap, but we are going down the wrong road with more and more chemical treatments. Once you start searching under "microbes" instead of bacteria, and bioremediation, lots of scientific information comes up. Much of that info is way over my head and painful to try and read, but I do it. I believe in these guys and I believe in this bacteria theory. The mere fact that it has to be applied at times when they aren't using the traditional treatments tells me that the traditional treatments, hurt the natural bacteria. With a lake like ours that has too many storm drains flowing into it, the natural application would be in the storm drains when the water is sitting in there brewing up the organic matter. Plus the sand put on the streets in the winter washes in on top of any organics and holds it down where it rots and festers. Then when a rain came the bacteria would flow into the lake. We have tested the water coming in (got our own colorimeter)and it is off the charts high in P & N. The water has to be 50 degrees to start, I wonder if in the winter the storm drain pipes under the ground are warm? Thanks again.

ps: Tom P.: We have to have some fun in this you know? The battle I am fighting had 5 bad years of tears and frustration with the Lake Chair a guy not even living on a lake, who constantly put me down. I fixed him, we had an election and threw him out, the first election ever here. Cost $500 to get Margaret elected, best money I have ever spent, she lives across the lake from me. I have to get Margaret to more conference experiences to keep her going, once I get her away from Harvey the husband, she is a blast, we make a great team!!!! She gets stuck being the Lake Chair of 6 lakes, where apathy is the norm, and has to go to Board Meetings, I have to do this work, which IMHO is much better.

2catmom #140089 12/03/08 07:48 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Brace yourself, this is JHAP being serious:

Lynda:
HTML is an acronym for HyperText Markup Language. Basically it is the programming language used to create a web page. In the bad old days in order to create web pages you had to learn HTML. With the increased sophistication of web page creation software this is much less of a necessity. You do not need to learn HTML nor enable HTML in order to create a new topic.

The steps for creating a new topic are very, very, simple:

Click on the forum in which you want your new topic (probably Questions and Observations for this subject).

Click on New Topic. See Bbjr's great screen shot above for the location of the New Topic button.

Fill in the Subject Matter field.

Write your post in the post field.

Click submit.

And that's it.

It looks like you have done a significant amount of research into this subject and have a challenging situation on your hands. I would like to see some the Pond Boss experts weigh in on your questions and comments and subject matter in general. Having your information in a new subject matter will help to attract the attention of some of the knowledgeable folks here on pond boss.

Try it, it's easy.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants

Somebody likes them some tool bars!!!

I know, it's ridiculous. I wish I could just pick bits and pieces of each toobar, and combine them into one. And ever since my wife downloaded IE7, I can't rid myself of the mywebsearch. I lock it out of the toolbar, and it comes back.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
bbjr #140139 12/03/08 02:51 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Brace yourself, this is JHAP being serious:

I think he better cut out the meds completely,thats his most serious post with a warning I can remember

I subscribe

TOM G #140168 12/03/08 08:47 PM
Lunker
Lunker
JHAP:
Why didn't you call yourself techno dude???? I'll try and think of how to introduce the bacteria, right now I'm too worried about the big 3, if they go down, we all go down here in Michigan, believe me, we are living in a frozen limbo state since two weeks ago, nobody is shipping anything, nobody is paying anything. Our company is low on the food chain, like a stunted bluegill, and our receivables are really high - hope it works out. Unsecured creditors take the hit first.
Lynda

2catmom #140240 12/04/08 12:00 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
JHAP: Why didn't you call yourself techno dude????

There are people on this site that are MUCH more knowledgeble about computers than I. My wife is the computer Wizard in this family. She quite literally builds all of the computers that we use and trouble shoots software issues. I know a bit about web pages because I created and hosted a site related to a performance car that I use to own. I closed the site after I sold the car but for the several years that I had the site it was the #1 website devoted to this particular car. It was fun but way too time consuming.

Our company is low on the food chain, like a stunted bluegill, and our receivables are really high - hope it works out. Unsecured creditors take the hit first.
Lynda

I'm sorry to hear that. This economy has been difficult for many of my clients. Stay on the AR - be the squeaky wheel.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
My wife is the computer Wizard in this family. She quite literally builds all of the computers that we use and trouble shoots software issues. I know a bit about web pages because I created and hosted a site related to a performance car that I use to own. I closed the site after I sold the car but for the several years that I had the site it was the #1 website devoted to this particular car.

Precious few have mourned the passing of http://www.39huppmobile.com

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy