Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls
18,474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,936
Posts557,710
Members18,475
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
13 members (Layne, Theeck, Sunil, Abaggs, homewardbound, Zep, Augie, e_stallman, FishinRod, Mainer, canyoncreek, catscratch, Donatello), 818 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Sunday, November 30, 2008, San Fransisco Chronical news paper article:

On a magic morning at San Pablo Reservoir, for years the best fishing lake in the Bay Area, we caught 10 rainbow trout that weighed nearly 30 pounds, one of the finest two-angler trout limits I've ever seen. That will never happen again.

Then there was the summer day at Loch Lomond Reservoir near Ben Lomond in the Santa Cruz Mountains. We caught several trout, then landed our boat on an island with a picnic site and barbecued the fish on the spot. What a moment. Now it looks like Loch Lomond is done forever.

Up in the Sierra, on a stormy, late spring day at Spicer Meadows Reservoir in the high country, we caught something like 35 to 40 trout ranging 14 to 22 inches in three hours. Now it's goodbye Spicer.

Try to imagine the early-summer flyfishing out of a canoe at pretty Gumboot Lake in the Trinity Divide, casting black leeches, strip retrieve, and catching a trout on nearly every cast in the last two hours of light. Must have released 30 or so. It will never happen again.

San Pablo, Loch Lomond, Spicer Meadows and Gumboot are among 175 lakes and streams in California that will no longer receive trout plants thanks to a lawsuit settlement this past week between the Department of Fish and Game and environmentalists.

The Center for Biological Diversity sued the DFG mainly to protect frogs and pollywogs, charging that fish can't be stocked without the DFG completing an Environmental Impact Report. Even though the DFG has stocked many of the lakes for generations, it's over now at many of the best. The ban takes effect immediately.

In the Bay Area, the DFG halted trout stocks at Bon Tempe, Lagunitas and Alpine lakes in Marin, and Stevens Creek Reservoir near Monta Vista on the south peninsula. That means from Novato in north Marin on south to San Jose, the only lake left with fishing is troubled Lake Merced in San Francisco, where trout plants and fishing under the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department has deteriorated to a joke.

According to the DFG, this settlement was the best it could hope for after the Center for Biological Diversity and Pacific Rivers Council sued the DFG in October of 2006. The Stanford Environmental Law Clinic represented the enviros and argued in Superior Court that the DFG should be required to complete an Environmental Impact Report for each lake or stream before the DFG could be permitted to plant trout at any of them.

That threatened to stop all trout plants, said Jordan Traverso, DFG deputy director.

"We actually were pleased with the negotiations," Traverso said. "When we got into court Nov. 7, we were told to work something out or stop the plants."

The DFG did not choose the list of lakes and streams where plants will be stopped, she said. Rather a list of parameters was put in place. The presence of any of 27 species, most prominently, frogs and tadpoles, the size of the lake, whether it was a reservoir or natural lake, and whether it was connected to rivers, determined if it was blacklisted, Traverso said.
CEQA the hammer

"The premise in the original lawsuit was that our trout planting program was not compliant to CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act), that we had not undergone an EIR (Environmental Impact Report) for each lake," Traverso said. "That means the department is required to create an environmental impact report for something that has been going on for more than 100 years."

On the surface, the cutbacks are intended to protect frogs and pollywogs, which trout occasionally feed on. But several state and federal scientists told me that the ban on trout plants will do nothing to increase frog populations.

Traverso acknowledged that. "There could be a million other factors (with frogs and pollywogs) that have nothing to do with fish stocking," she said.

At a wilderness lake in the Humphrey Basin in the high Sierra, all trout in the lake were netted out and killed to protect endangered frogs. Yet all of the frogs died anyway the following year, killed by chitrid fungus, according to Roland Knapp of the Sierra Nevada Research Laboratory. "It's a mystery and we don't know who the real bad guy is," Knapp said at the time. Although Knapp is a proponent of eliminating trout, he admitted that the trout had nothing to do with all the frogs disappearing at the test lake in the Humphrey Basin.

Noah Greenwald, program director for the Center for Biological Diversity, lead party of the lawsuit, issued this statement in regard to his victory to stop plants at 175 lakes and streams: "Interim measures limiting stocking are needed to help save California's native fish and frogs from extinction." He didn't return a phone call. I wanted to ask him how many of the 175 lakes and streams being blacklisted has he actually been to.
Impacts widespread

The scope of the plant shutdown is stunning in some areas.

It includes: Lake Amador, one of the best trout lakes in the Sacramento Valley foothills; Taylor Lake in the Russian Wilderness, the only wheelchair-accessible wilderness lake with trout fishing in the state; Ice House Reservoir, the sensational fishing lake in the Crystal Basin; and the Yuba River along Highway 49, one of the best trout streams in the Sierra.

An example of how the shutdown could devastate an area's economy is the Highway 4 corridor, where pretty Alpine Lake, Mosquito Lake and Spicer Meadows provide the only lakes with fishing. Stocking trout will be stopped at all three, leaving roughly a 100-mile range across the Sierra that runs from Angels Camp through Murphys, Arnold, Dorrington and Bear Valley, with no lake to fish.

At this point, with the highest-priced fishing license in the nation, the only DFG response that would make sense would be to immediately increase stocks wherever they are permitted. By law, one-third of all fishing license money is required to go to the DFG trout program, which would roughly double stocks at the lakes on the "OK list" if finally implemented.

At the same time, the success of this lawsuit by environmental factions should throw a scare into all who fish or hunt. With the same premise, that an EIR is required before fish are stocked or hunting is permitted, a similar lawsuit could shut down virtually any fishing or hunting program.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
This state can be a challenge to live in.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yeah that's what we hear. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't cougar hunting stopped in a similar fashion? The DFG in your state was forced int court to do a study to determine exactly how many cougars were present, and since that was not economically feasible they had to close the season?

So how many hikers, bikers, and children have been attacked by the increasing numbers of cougars now? Idiots!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Dang Cecil,I wanted to be the first to steal the"idiot" thing from that other thread.You blew my whole response that I was forming as I read that article.Humm,Maybe those idiots should be "chambered as rounds" Its kinda sad that even though the fish have nothing to do with it,they ruin fishing so they can keep a better eye on dying frogs

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Perhaps the CaDFG can get with CalFire and create a list of the wacko enviros. Then if their home should ever be in the path of a wildfire, CalFire can require an EIR to determine the feasability of saving the wackos home.

just a thought.................

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Actually if the judge or judges in this case were worth their salt they'd require a study that showed the trout were a danger to the frogs in the first place. If there was no evidence to show that, it would be ludicrous to shut down the local economy!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/03/08 07:54 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Brilliant!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Actually if the judge or judges in this case were worth their salt they'd require a study that showed the trout were a danger to the frogs in the first place. If there was no evidence to show that it would be ludicrous to shut down the local economy!

Cecil, you have to remember these are California Judges. Common sense and reality rarely gets thought of in left coast courts.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
Actually if the judge or judges in this case were worth their salt they'd require a study that showed the trout were a danger to the frogs in the first place. If there was no evidence to show that it would be ludicrous to shut down the local economy!

Cecil, you have to remember these are California Judges. Common sense and reality rarely gets thought of in left coast courts.

There must be something in the water. I've noticed our two California posters can get a little goofy too, but in a funny way!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D

There must be something in the water.

Well it ain't trout.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa

There must be something in the water.

Well it ain't trout.

Well you know there used to be an old custom in Vermont to put a trout in your well when they had open wells. I just wonder how long it took to make the water taste bad and make you sick after it died. \:o

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Too much smoke inhalation ! \:D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
It's hard to stomach how irrational some people can be. On a side note, that article makes me want a nice big plate of frog legs.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Ignorant boneheads are the worst of all boneheads! \:\(

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
OK, CaDFG, your job description just changed from raising and stocking trout to making a report. Git 'er done!

Last edited by burgermeister; 12/04/08 09:54 AM. Reason: remove dimb statemenet

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Come on,JHAP,DIED,are you guys just gonna sit back and take this abuse?JHAP,after the dog kidnapping job,I didnt think you,of all people would take a pun like that and not come back.Maybe the flu is worse than you led us to believe. \:\(

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
Come on,JHAP,DIED,are you guys just gonna sit back and take this abuse?JHAP,after the dog kidnapping job,I didnt think you,of all people would take a pun like that and not come back.Maybe the flu is worse than you led us to believe. \:\(

The Nyquil/Dayquil routine seems to be effecting my sense of judgement. I find myself agreeing with most of the posts above. As I have said before as much as I love California it is definately a world unto itself. California is much like a well balanced breakfast cereal... chock full of nuts, fruits, and flakes and plenty of fiber. The end result of which is the spreading around of way, way too much, how shall I put this without being moderated, way, way too much solid waste per capita.

DIED, pass the brussel sprouts. (see what I mean about the cold medications).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
aeration pump type?
by homewardbound - 04/16/24 09:29 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish