Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#136387 10/18/08 06:52 PM
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Anyone have these in their ponds? Do they filter algae like zebra mussels, without going beserk with regards to reproduction like zebra mussels?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
No photo? There are numerous freshwater clams that can live in ponds. Which ones are you referring to?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have freshwater clams & mussels in my pond [3 acres in North FL], no problem with over population. They are filter feeders. I have made sure that I have a redear population.

Last edited by J. E. Craig; 10/20/08 09:42 AM.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Wow, never thought about that as a possible addition. Not sure what types would even be available (if any) here in Iowa. Any I've seen were from rivers and streams...and most are protected species.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Sorry Bill, I was referring to the ones that are 3 inches long and mostly black, I have no idea how to tell the species apart. My friends pond has some, probably 50 in a half acre pond. They are slowly increasing in number, but dont seem to be going crazy. His pond also has good visibility, much better than mine, but my pond is new and has not gone through a winter under the ice to settle thing, either.

I was just wondering how much of an effect some clams could really have

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I'm not sure how much if any they would contribute to the sport fish food chain. Some bottom feeding fish will eat the smallest young clams. Higher numbers of clams will randomly filter planktonic stuff out of a lot of water. Main disadvantage I foresee is the sharp shells will cut swimmers feet. No swimmers, probably no problem.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
N
Fingerling
Fingerling
N
I'm new here.1/2 acre pond is really getting a lot,a whole lot of mussels.The only problem is when the G-kids swim.How many is too many?Could picking some out be worth it.Some people might need some but I don't know the laws about giving them away.One thing for sure the water is extremly clear.
Thanks
from a new guy

nyrfrx #138006 11/04/08 09:43 AM
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
nyrfrx, since JHAP or TomG (our highly paid official greeters) haven't welcomed you yet, let me do the honors. Sadly, that's about all I have to offer. Others will be along shortly

Just do it...
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
nyrfrx,Welcome abourd.Sorry Im late.My internet is down at home so I have to get on at work when I have time.
Glad you found us,feel free to ask anything,there are experts about everything on here. \:\)

Also,the office must have the wrong address for me as I havent been getting my checkes for this greetings service thingy \:o \:D \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

TOM G #138028 11/04/08 04:54 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Just keep watching the mail TOM G, and don't get discouraged.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #138033 11/04/08 07:50 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
So, Tom, you didnt get Sunil's pink slip either?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
burger, sometimes it's just best to keep it verbal. You know...no paper trail.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
So, Tom, you didnt get Sunil's pink slip either?

No,he always calls from an unknown number and fires me over the phone....Candy??? \:D \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

TOM G #140058 12/02/08 08:26 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I also am wondering about adding clams to my new pond. There's several varieties in the creek behind my house. Not sure which ones may be better than another, or what parasites might get into my pond. I'd sure like to know if anyone has any knowledge about it!

Midwest Dave, 3.5 acre lake, 47 acres timber & CRP.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Turtles too - throw some in there or just let them find it on their own? I've read that snappers actually eat mostly vegitation and will keep the weeds down.

Midwest Dave, 3.5 acre lake, 47 acres timber & CRP.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
nyrfrx, since JHAP or TomG (our highly paid official greeters) haven't welcomed you yet...

I was on an unpaid leave of absence for "administrative purposes" the cause of which I'm not allowed to divulge or discuss.

Sorry for the late welcome to Pond Boss, we are sincerely glad you found us.

Turtles seem to find their way to Ponds on their own. Some pond owners have too many of them and eradicate them. Some (like me) have only a few of them and enjoy them.

Adding mussels to Ponds is very interesting subject. I have never found any evidence of mussels or clams in my pond. Since we swim in it I don't think I'd be too happy to find them.

A question for Bill Cody - is there any beneficial reason for adding them? Seems like once they are added they would be difficult to control. What is the scoop on freshwater mussels and/or clams? Seems like this could be an interesting Pond Boss article.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have freshwater mussels in my pond. I have not identified them and just beginning to dig up some info about them. The results so far is that they are good indicators of water quality(problems kill them quicker than fish), they filter feed on algae very well(maybe that is why my pond clears so quickly and deeply), and their juveniles parasitize fish on the outside for a few weeks before dropping off (may be species specific depending on mussel species).

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Adding mussels to Ponds is very interesting subject. I have never found any evidence of mussels or clams in my pond. Since we swim in it I don't think I'd be too happy to find them.

Technically, having a JHAP swimming in one's pond IS adding muscles.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

It will take a lot of these types of posts Brettski before you offset the collective damage done to me by all of your cupcake comments, photoshops, youtube dancing cupcake video, coffee table photo book and the very offensive childrens coloring book entitled "JHAP versus the Cupcake."

But I do appreciate the olive branch.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

It will take a lot of these types of posts Brettski before you offset the collective damage done to me by all of your cupcake comments, photoshops, youtube dancing cupcake video, coffee table photo book and the very offensive childrens coloring book entitled "JHAP versus the Cupcake."

But I do appreciate the olive branch.

What about that video of the cupcake scoring the touchdown?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
What about that video of the cupcake scoring the touchdown?

Dang, I forgot about that.

I'd be much more forgiving about this affront to my personage (is that really a word or did I just make it up, may have to google it to find out) if Brettski would have offered to cut me in on on the profits. I think a 40 to 50 percent royalty is fair price for the use of my image and name. I've heard rumors that Brettski is working on an Xbox 360 game. I'm publicly announcing here and now, if he does that I'm calling a royalty attorney.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I don't know about ponds but a local lake with a swimmin area has them. The water clarity is pretty good. My boys put some in our aquarium and they seemed to help. I didn't have to change the filters as often. Could have been my imagination though. It's been known to get the best of me.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Jeff, can you have your kids gather up a bunch next spring to send to me? I definately want them in my pond!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Remind me (my memory isn't what it used to be) and I will take them to that lake (or go myself). Now that it has been brought up I think I wouldn't mind some in mine as well. The should survive your winters. Your only about 2-3 hours drive from me.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Huh? What should I remind you about?

ps my "memory" never was!

Last edited by Rainman; 12/04/08 04:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??