Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,781
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, catscratch, Lake8, FishinRod, Sunil), 1,049 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139964 12/02/08 09:00 AM
T
TMK Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
A friend of mine said he read a report some years ago that compared growth rates and reproduction of Walleye in several different ponds. The corralatable perameter was reported to be PH. Is there an optimum PH level which is the most advantagious for this fish spicies? Or, for that mater, for any fish spicies?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
pH changes throughout the day/night (24 hour) period. You want the pH to stay in a small range and not fluctuate a lot.

See this about WE culture in ponds.
http://aquanic.org/publicat/usda_rac/efs/ncrac/fact102.pdf

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
In addition to the charts presented by ewest, the higher your alkalinity and/or total hardness the less the pH will fluctuate. Low alkalinity is below 25; high alkalinity is above 80. The amount of plant growth (primarily phytoplankton bloom) is responsible for contributing the majority of the carbon dioxide (increasing) that when dissolved into the water makes an acidic (lower pH) condition primarily at night. "Alkalinity" helps absorb carbon dioxide reducing its ability to be acidic.

From the superficial looks of your pond in MI, pH should not be a problem for your pond and fish if you don't have major algae blooms.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/02/08 08:43 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is some info wrt your question.

North American Journal of Fisheries Management 12:356-366. 1992

© Copyright by the American Fisheries Society 1992

Lethal Effects of Elevated pH and Ammonia on

Early Life Stages of Walleye

DAVID L. BERGERHOUSE

Cooperative Fisheries Research Laboratory and Department of Zoology

Southern Illinois University. Carbondale. Illinois 62901, USA

Abstract.—Elevated pH may be lethal to larval fish and can affect the toxicity of ammonia. Fry

of walleye Stizostedion vitreum propagated in a controlled hatchery environment are often stocked,

despite little knowledge of their tolerance to high pH or ammonia. A series of 6-h static bioassays

was performed with walleye fry of various ages to determine their tolerance to elevated pH and

the effect of ammonia on pH tolerance. The 6-h mortality threshold pH (the lowest pH at which

significant mortality occurs) was between 10.0 and 10.3 for 3-d-old walleyes, and between 9.8 and

10.0 for both 8- and 12-d-old walleyes, when no measurable ammonia was present. Sublethal

concentrations of un-ionized ammonia increased the toxicity of elevated pH, indicating an interaction

between ammonia and pH. Values of pH that caused statistically significant mortality were

well below values measured in some fish culture ponds and nutrient-rich impoundments. Elevated

pH at the time of stocking walleye fry may result in extensive mortality.

The mortality of 3-d-old walleyes generally increased

as pH increased between values of 10.0

and 10.5. No deaths occurred in bioassays with

no ammonia at pH 9.8 and lower (Figure 1). A

few deaths occurred at pH 10.0, but mortality was

not significantly different from zero. The mortality

at pH 10.3 reached 37% by the end of the 6-h test

and was significantly different from the control

group. Al 3-d-old walleyes died within 120 min

at pH 10.5. A 6-h mortality threshold pH (the

lowest pH at which significant mortality occurs)

for 3-d-old walleyes was therefore estimated to be

between 10.0 and 10.3.

Older walleye fry were slightly less tolerant of

elevated pH than were 3-d-old fry. Mortality at

pH 10.0 increased with age in bioassays containing

3-, 8-, 9-, and 12-d-old fry (Figure 2).

T
TMK Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
OK I've read all the stuff you have all provided and studied the charts. Thanks to all. It would seem that there are three parameters involved, and not just one; PH, TAN, and Alkalinity. However, I'm still struggling to to get my arms around the whole issue:

A) I would have bet the farm that PH is in fact a measure of acidity < 7, or Alkalinity > 7, (7 being neutral solution). So, how can Alkalinity be separate and apparently non variant with time of day?

B) My pond contains about 300,000 gallons of water; (27,000 Gallons/Acre-ft). It is REALLY difficult for me to believe that this entire water volume is going to swing its PH by as much as 4 points on the PH scale, on a daily basis.

What have I missed here? I'd like to get my head straight before I start making water sample measurements.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
This should help. The short answer is alkalinity is the item to measure as it reflects the waters ability to neutralize (buffer) wide pH swings.

AquaNIC

http://aquanic.org/publicat/state/il-in/as-503.htm

A Fish Farmer's Guide to Understanding Water Quality

Buffering Systems

A buffering system to avoid wide swings in pH is essential in aquaculture. Without some means of storing carbon dioxide released from plant and animal respiration, pH levels may fluctuate in ponds from approximately 4-5 to over 10 during the day. In recirculating systems constant fish respiration can raise carbon dioxide levels high enough to interfere with oxygen intake by fish, in addition to lowering the pH of the water.

pH

The quantity of hydrogen ions (H+) in water will determine if it is acidic or basic. The scale for measuring the degree of acidity is called the pH scale, which ranges from 1 to 14. A value of 7 is considered neutral, neither acidic or basic; values below 7 are considered acidic; above 7, basic. The acceptable range for fish culture is normally between pH 6.5-9.0.

Alkalinity

Alkalinity is the capacity of water to neutralize acids without an increase in pH. This parameter is a measure of the bases, bicarbonates (HCO3-), carbonates (CO3--) and, in rare instances, hydroxide (OH-). Total alkalinity is the sum of the carbonate and bicarbonate alkalinities. Some waters may contain only bicarbonate alkalinity and no carbonate alkalinity.

The carbonate buffering system is important to the fish farmer regardless of the production method used. In pond production, where photosynthesis is the primary natural source of oxygen, carbonates and bicarbonates are storage area for surplus carbon dioxide. By storing carbon dioxide in the buffering system, it is never a limiting factor that could reduce photosynthesis, and in turn, reduce oxygen production. Also, by storing carbon dioxide, the buffering system prevents wide daily pH fluctuations.

Without a buffering system, free carbon dioxide will form large amounts of a weak acid (carbonic acid) that may potentially decrease the night-time pH level to 4.5. During peak periods of photosynthesis, most of the free carbon dioxide will be consumed by the phytoplankton and, as a result, drive the pH levels above 10. As discussed, fish grow within a narrow range of pH values and either of the above extremes will be lethal to them.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Plus 7 on the PH scale is NOT alkalinity, it is Basic. Remember High school--Acids and Bases? Ponds breath, similar to animals. Oxygen is taken in by the water and carbon dioxide is expelled back into it. The plants will take in the carbon dioxide during daylight (photosynthesis) and expell CO2 during darkness.

T
TMK Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
This link (http://aquanic.org/publicat/state/il-in/as-503.htm) was really good. Thanks for the reference. Now if I have it right the Optimum good water quality for Walleyes should be:

DO > 5.5 ppm, More is better
Un-ionized Ammonia < .02 ppm
Total Alkalinity > 100 ppm
Hardness > 20 ppm
PH best between 7 to 9
Best temperature between 65 and 75 Deg F

Would everyone agree?

The only thing is I didn't see anything about Total Ammonia-Nitrite (TAN) Targets?

Mike

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I know nothing about walleye and not much more about "normal" fish but those parameters look darn good to me for about any freshwater fish.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
TAN is usually not a concern in a pond with normal amounts of fish. Crowded conditions with nutrient-rich waters/high feeding and growth (more like an aquaculture operation) the more likely a problem will arise. You posted the TAN equivlent causation (Un-ionized Ammonia < .02 ppm )

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife
by Augie - 04/18/24 10:57 AM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 10:54 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by Augie - 04/18/24 10:39 AM