Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,924
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
7 members (Augie, Theeck, Homestead 101, phinfan, Jward87, Joe7328, shores41), 906 guests, and 545 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hey all;

Anyone have experience with underwater lights like the Green Monster? http://www.thegreenmonsterfishinglight.com/

They look very cool, but was wondering if someone would share their stories on whether it atracted bugs/fish?

Looking forward to the responses.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I've never tried a submersible but have used the floating type based on a car headlight. From my observations the light effectivily attracted minnows and in turn larger fish. In my limited experience it worked for crappie and HSB.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hey Ryan;

Same here - we do well with floating lights for slabs and white bass in NE. But these Green Monster lights are more permanent, and seem to serve an aesthetic purpose [they do look pretty cool IMO] but wondered if they also served the same purpose as other sources of light underwater. Guess no one else seems to have used these, perhaps I'll be the proverbial guinea pig and let you all know how it turns out.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have used floating crappie lights, and they work great for attracting shad and schooling minnows. They dont seem to attract game fish fry in the same way. The green lights do add a nice effect. You could probably make 3 or 4 for the price of one of the green monster lights. You can use lighting gel around the bulb and have them any color you want. A few floating lights under the a dock with some gel and you can have 3 for less than $45.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I know that Nate Herman with Herman Bros Pond Mgmt has used them and really likes them. They apparantly do a great job with attracting fish. In fact, if you go to wwww.hbpondmanagement.com just wait a few seconds and his photos start to change. He's got a really cool photo of the light in action during the animated photo show.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks for the feedback guys - Will let you know what I end up doing on this.

TJ

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good topic, TJ.

We're thinking about getting one ourselves. I've used them to catch big speckled trout along the Texas coast, but never tried them in freshwater.

I think the same results would apply. As soon as we can get electricity down to the largest pond, we'll add a submerged light of some sort.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cool, but way too expensive for my blood. Anybody ever seen a less expensive option? Robbor mentions something called "lighting gel". What's that and where does one get it?

Gotta get back to fishin!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The green monsters are indeed some really awesome lights! One of my favorite pond products of all times! Ronnie Dennis is the guy who makes them down in Alabama. Call him up and ask him some questions about the lights and be sure to tell him you found him on Pond Boss. (His lights would be a great product for the pboss magazine)

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
nothing is better than a picture of a fish that is being held by a kid.

F
Fingerling
Fingerling
F
Hi,

I found your post and couldn't help but chime in.

I am a huge fan of these systems, so much so that I made it my profession.

I work for a company that manufactures 175w Mercury Vapor Underwater Lights like the ones mentioned above.

You have to realize that pictures on a computer really can't do the system justice. These things are amazing.

I would be more than happy to personally answer any questions regarding these systems that any of you might have.

Thanks

Brian

EDIT NOTE: Advertising info removed as a precaution to protect our advertisers until we get to know Brian & his company better.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 11/10/08 02:27 PM. Reason: We haven't gotten to know each other, yet. I'm protecting our advertisers.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Welcom Fishlights. Those are some cool pictures. Do you know why the fish seem to swim in a circle around the lights?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's like dozens of little Sunils at a Hendrix concert

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
FishLights

Thanks for the pictures.
I cannot figure out if the camera is on top or under the fish.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I live on a 100 acre residential lake. Two members have underwater lights. They definitely attract fish. I fish them occasionally and it is very cool to watch the bass cruise through the light. I have caught several good fish off them but usually after you catch one the fishing stops for awhile. Some times they just don't seem interested in biting but it is still cool to watch them. They seem to draw in and hold crappie a lot longer than bass. The bass seem to come only when the lights are on but the crappie generally are there during the day also (depending on the seasons, or course). I am going to put one on my dock as soon as I get my electricity run. If you do put one out you might consider putting it on a timer so it only comes on during times when you might be interested in fishing rather than letting the photo cell run it all night long. From what I have read limiting the operation time may make the fish feed more actively during the time it is on. Hopes this helps.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/23/24 03:33 PM
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM