Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus), 768 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Cecil, thanks for sharing. Did you make a decision yet?

I got there a little late because I had some fish skinning and carding that took longer than I thought it would. I am so swamped and behind I am almost defeated. I actually stopped taking in work just to see daylight.

Anyway, In the little time I had, I looked over the dogs and Wellington # 1405 the Australian Sheepdog is indeed a beauty, although smaller than I thought he would be. Of course everything is small compared to my last dog Sandy, who's head could easily rest on the dinner table while she stood on all fours! His hair is somewhat short for a Australian Sheepdog so he must be a mix. Of course that does not matter to me as I prefer mixed breeds.

Ava the Akita # 1320 has really sweet eyes and and peaceful demeanor. Justice the Boxer # 1343 is a sweetheart with those typical expressive Boxer eyes. Shayla the Lab must have been abused as she is really timid and slinks yo the back of her cage. Beefie # 1429 is an observer and likes to cock his head back and forth just like Sandy did. He has a beautiful coat and very calm, although being part Pit Bull that has me a little concerned.

I didn't see Bosco #1407, or the female Boxer Nicky # 1386 -- hopefully they are adopted.

Hutch # 1378 is a survivor. His owner is in jail. His face is goofy because he survived being hit by a car and he was also kicked in the lower jaw by a horse! I wouldn't get Hutch though as I don't want someone coming after their dog once they get out of jail! \:o I live on a major highway where someone could see him with me and since he is very distinct in appearance...

The dogs were so excited and their barking was so loud it was hard to hear my tour guide. I think they were competing for me! \:D

So no decisions yet. Tomorrow there will be time to take a few out of their cages and spend some time with them to see what they're like. I will be bringing one home tomorrow. \:\) \:\) \:\)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/18/08 06:17 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Blaine
Brett,

We adopted him from a breeder near Delphi, IN. He was extraordinary. In his entire life he never once chewed on anything that wasn't his, almost never had accidents in the house even as a new puppy, rarely wandered from home (except for the time he went on that diet), never bit, and was one hell of a ball player / frisbie catcher. He will be missed all. Our Newfoundland is still looking for him and keeps looking at me with those sad drooping eyes.

If cycle tries to teach my pooch how to play ball up there it ain't gonna happen. We called her a keep away dog vs. a retriever. She would take the ball and run. Then if you didn't come after her she would lay it in front of you and dare you to take it. Of course as soon as you made a move she would grab it!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/18/08 06:17 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I've been off the circuit here, weird i got back on today and saw this forum. Cecil, hope you pick a good dog. My dog is very ill (we found out he has cancer two months ago and nothing we can do). He's on meds and we just increased/upped the strength to keep him out of pain to be with us longer. It's so sad watching my dog die (I am attached to him like a child, I never thought I would, but I did--I blame my husband as growing up I never really had a pet and a smart loving one). He's been the best dog, pet, companion-- always glad to see me every day, always appreciative of what he has, always loving and protective. Unconditional love. We have had 10 years+ of togetherness-playing, learning, having a good ole time. I too will have to go down the road you did...I hate it. We don't even enjoy the pond these past couple of months as we don't want him in it because he is sick and might hurt himself jumping into it. The cancer also has a large knot on his leg and the bone might break before he is ready...just breaks my heart. I understand y'all how it is...sincere condolences to all of you who have lost a loved pet.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: MarkECIN
I've been off the circuit here, weird i got back on today and saw this forum. Cecil, hope you pick a good dog. My dog is very ill (we found out he has cancer two months ago and nothing we can do). He's on meds and we just increased/upped the strength to keep him out of pain to be with us longer. It's so sad watching my dog die (I am attached to him like a child, I never thought I would, but I did--I blame my husband as growing up I never really had a pet and a smart loving one). He's been the best dog, pet, companion-- always glad to see me every day, always appreciative of what he has, always loving and protective. Unconditional love. We have had 10 years+ of togetherness-playing, learning, having a good ole time. I too will have to go down the road you did...I hate it. We don't even enjoy the pond these past couple of months as we don't want him in it because he is sick and might hurt himself jumping into it. The cancer also has a large knot on his leg and the bone might break before he is ready...just breaks my heart. I understand y'all how it is...sincere condolences to all of you who have lost a loved pet.

I think you have it worse. My dog got gravely ill that evening and she passed on the next morning. If I had know it was coming, as in terminal cancer but not when, I believe it would have torn me up even more.

I feel for you. Hang in there! Easy to say of course.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/18/08 07:08 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
[font:Comic Sans MS][/font][b][/b]I am so sorry for the loss of your pet, it is the worst. I hope you get another right away, that is what I did when my 18 year old cat Romeo died, I waited 2 weeks and got two rescued kittens, Sampson & Delilah. They are five now, and they are the best. There are lots of animals out there that need good owners who give them great lives. You dog is in dog heaven, and when you get up there he will be waiting for you. I know my heaven will be blue lakes without algae and lots and lots of cats.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: 2catmom
[font:Comic Sans MS][/font][b][/b]I am so sorry for the loss of your pet, it is the worst. I hope you get another right away, that is what I did when my 18 year old cat Romeo died, I waited 2 weeks and got two rescued kittens, Sampson & Delilah. They are five now, and they are the best. There are lots of animals out there that need good owners who give them great lives. You dog is in dog heaven, and when you get up there he will be waiting for you. I know my heaven will be blue lakes without algae and lots and lots of cats.

Sounds like the title of a book, "No algae in Heaven."

My dog is either going to have to get along with cats up there are find another heaven. She hated cats. \:D

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I wish that was how my dear TRUMP (named after "The Donald" Trump would go but it is not meant to be. I just hope I'm not home that my hubby takes care of stuff. On the happy side, my dog just loved the Pond and spends hours watching the water, we will bury him on the hill where he can watch it always.
I know, Cecil, I will have to get another one in time, it will be hard I know. Thanks.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I wish that was how my dear TRUMP (named after "The Donald" Trump would go but it is not meant to be. I just hope I'm not home that my hubby takes care of stuff. On the happy side, my dog just loved the Pond and spends hours watching the water, we will bury him on the hill where he can watch it always.
I know, Cecil, I will have to get another one in time, it will be hard I know. Thanks.

Please hang in there. Not sure if the following helps but it's a paragraph out of a book I recently read called Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz. It helped me a little as bought I this book a couple of days after the death of my dog not knowing this passage would be in it. It's about a Golden Retriever that passes on.

Because God is never cruel, there is a reason for all things. We must know the pain of loss; because if we never knew it, we would have no compassion for others, and we would become monsters of self regard, creatures of unalloyed self interest. The terrible pain of loss teaches humility to our prideful kind, has the power to soften uncaring hearts, to make a better person of a good one.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/19/08 12:18 PM.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
So true. Thank you. I wonder if my hubby has that book, he's read everything Dean Koontz has, I believe. \:\)

B
Lunker
Lunker
B

MarkECIN,

My heart is heavy for you. I hope that his pain stays at bay and relish the time that you have left with him.

Cycle was my first dog too as I did not grow up with pets either. My wife said that I was spoiled to have Cycle as a first dog because he was so well behaved. She says that he was a once in a lifetime kind of dog and I believe it (he obeyed every command).

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Blaine, I read about Cycle. I too spent so much time training him and teaching him, playing...I still tell my husband I taught him how to bark when we brought him home as a puppy). \:\) We have grieved when we found out he was dying and nothing we could do would save him. I cried like a baby, we both cried. In the back of my mind, I knew he wouldn't be here forever but I let my guard down that he would be here as long as I was (maybe I wanted to forget). The meds are keeping him comfortable (almost too good as I saw him jump off the bench after a deer and thought Oh, God, he'll break his leg!). But, my hubby keeps telling me that he still has a good life and as long as he can have a good life and be with us, we go on enjoying him and he is enjoying us-we spoil him ever so much more. It sure is disheartening to see him go down, I watched a brother die slowly and now my dog--man's best friend. The best I can do - one day at a time. Thanks for the support. God, knows i need it.

Lunker
Lunker
Would you all think I am crazy if I told you that my cats each have their own cat stroller? The have a cage on the deck overlooking the lake, and a kitty condo. I took them to work with me the first year, they each had a basket to sleep in on my desk. Then they got bigger and bigger, Sampson hit 21 lbs, and I had to stop bringing them as I was afraid I would hurt my back carrying them in and out in the car. They like the car though. And they think I am their Mom. The vet loves me, I even get shots, never took the cats to the vet every year before!! These pets bring joy to us all, we are lucky to have them to share our lives with.
Since I started feeding the fish I am attached to them too, now we may have to kill them because of the gizzard shad. I am pushing hard for a selective kill of the gizzard shad, I have a bluegill out there named Gashy, he had a big hunk out of his back, and is a little faded out. I'm not a pita person or anything like that, just enjoy these fish.

Lunker
Lunker
Cecil,
I like Reese or Gander. I think the younger the better for bonding with the animal, that is my personal experience.
I LOVE 'NO ALGAE IN HEAVEN' My girlfriend and I plan on writing a book about this lake adventure, but plan to change the names to protect the innocent: One Chapter: Diamond Lakes Village: Toxic Soup/Du. Karmex - Why the women are barren and the men have breasts!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil,
I like Reese or Gander. I think the younger the better for bonding with the animal, that is my personal experience.
I LOVE 'NO ALGAE IN HEAVEN' My girlfriend and I plan on writing a book about this lake adventure, but plan to change the names to protect the innocent: One Chapter: Diamond Lakes Village: Toxic Soup/Du. Karmex - Why the women are barren and the men have breasts!

Well you're welcome to use it.

Younger is probably better but I've never had a puppy. My last dog was two years old when I got her and I became her pet in no time.

I think Ava the Akita will fit right in. She's starting to get spoiled already.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/23/08 03:53 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My new dog Ava is scary! She learns commands almost instantly! Never had a dog this quick! \:o \:o \:o

Maybe she'll be fetching my Mountain Dew out of the fridge soon!

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
(slurp, slurp, slurp)

"Ava, that better be your water you're drinking!"

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
Ava is happy in her new home, working hard to please her owners, I'm happy you are happy.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
(slurp, slurp, slurp)

"Ava, that better be your water you're drinking!"

She did try and lick the end of the bottle!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ava is happy in her new home, working hard to please her owners, I'm happy you are happy.

Yes sir I think I made a good choice. What was hilarious was a few times she woke up on the bed between us, looked up and around as if to think, "Where am I?" \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
...What was hilarious was a few times she woke up on the bed between us, looked up and around as if to think, "Where am I?" \:D

or, perhaps to think "adult humans do have their advantages....no paper training"

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
...What was hilarious was a few times she woke up on the bed between us, looked up and around as if to think, "Where am I?" \:D

or, perhaps to think "adult humans do have their advantages....no paper training"

Oh but if they only knew what our parent went through!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
My new dog Ava is scary! She learns commands almost instantly! Never had a dog this quick! \:o \:o \:o

LOL, I told you they were a quick study. Guard your Dew and your beef jerky.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Walker

LOL, I told you they were a quick study. Guard your Dew and your beef jerky.

Yep those orientals always were a quicker study!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images