Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,799
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (shores41, Steve Clubb, Justin W, Joe7328, catscratch, Knobber, John Folchetti, Snipe, Sunil, FireIsHot, Boondoggle, esshup), 983 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well as some of you know I lost my dog on the 29th of October after 11 years of being together all the time and it was rough. But although I doubt I'll ever forget her it's time to move on and rescue a dog that needs a good home. And it's kind of lonely in the house during the day since I work at home. I sure appreciate all the kind words and understanding I got on this website. This website truly has outstanding people on it!

To that end I'm headed for the county humane shelter tomorrow afternoon after a day in the shop. I'm actually excited to pick out my next buddy! There are eighteen dogs at the shelter and it will be tough. I wish I could take all of them home!

Hey if anyone wants to help me pick one out here are the pics and their descriptions!

http://www.kendallvillecomputers.com/hsnc/img/dogs/index.php

I was trying to look at their ages, training, size etc. to make a decision online, but I know that will go out of the window when I get there.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I like 1405: Wellington. No specific reason, he just kind of stands out to me.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
that's a nice selection of canines.. I've had three Lab's & one Australian shepherd.. found them to be great companions..Good Luck!

Lunker
Lunker
Several nice looking dogs, there, Cecil, but Bosco would be my pic. He looks a great deal like an old departed friend of mine.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bbjr
I like 1405: Wellington. No specific reason, he just kind of stands out to me.

Cecil,

Maybe it is just good marketing, but I too think that 1405 sure looks and sounds like a good critter. 1423 Archie looks and sounds pretty good too. But, so do a number of others.

I'm old enough, and I've had enough dogs to know that no particular breed is any better than another -- however, I sure prefer mixed breed mutts for friendliness, friendship and generally good health.

Glad to hear you are planning on adopting another. We are gone from home way too many hours a day to be fair to a dog -- even though both of us sure want one. The one-eyed kitten that adopted us early this autumn sure has brought a lot of enjoyment to us -- just not to our 18 year old cat.

Hopefully, the shelter will let the dogs out of the cages so you can play with them. A number of years ago we adopted a dog from a county shelter, on sight alone. They wouldn't let anybody play with the dogs or cats. What a mistake for the shelter, the pets, and us. The dog had very serious mental and health issues that we noticed almost immediately after getting it in the car. But, we signed some pretty strong paperwork, which I'd never do again. The poor critter should never have been put up for adoption. It had to be put down within a year, which was tragic for my kids, the dog, and us.

We adopted another from a veterinary clinic where they allowed families try them out on overnight stays. A volunteer brought one to our house. It comfortably moved right in like a long lost relative, and was part of the family for nearly 15 years.

Hopefully, you can find a good friend that really enjoys fish and fishing -- especially ice fishing.

Good luck,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil so much of dog selection is the individual connection between the two of you. However I like Bently and Doniven.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
1403-Shaylah - looks at her eyes, they're sad and are saying "pick me". She needs someone who is around all day and not left alone.

If you're feeling bold get 1383-Doniven too. Both are Labs and should like your ponds.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
About labs and ponds though... If they constantly want to jump in and get wet and possibly mucky isn't that a pain when you want to bring them back in?

And what happens when you want to feed the fish and the dog would rather swim?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/17/08 10:32 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Yea, but look at those eyes....

I agree with you Cecil. We have 1 rescue dog that has longer hair but doesn't like the water. I told my wife that when we move to the pond site and get another dog I wanted one with shorter hair for that very reason.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
About labs and ponds though... If they constantly want to jump in and get wet and possibly mucky isn't that a pain when you want to bring them back in?

And what happens when you want to feed the fish and the dog would rather swim?

Cecil, labs are loyal and pretty smart. You'll always have the joy of training them if you don't want them in the pond at times.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I like Justice 1343 and 1383 Doniven.

about the swiming. I have a golden retriever that loves the water but won't go in past where he can stand. I think its because he had a bad first experience with water. I took him out in the canoe as a pupy it was early spring and the water was probably only about 45 degrees. He was curious about the water and kept sniffing and drinking it. He got the nerve up to stick a paw in the water and then all of a sudden he jumped over the side of the boat. It didn't take him long to realize that he made a mistake and he swam right back to the boat. I had to bend over and pull him back into the boat. Maybee this year I'll get him to start swimming. I always thought it would be fun to play fetch with him in the pond. It would probably be a good way for him to get some energy out too.

I don't let him get in the water much since he is an inside dog but when he is allowed to get in he loves it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I like Socks. He reminds of my old buddy. Seems to be the right age of around 4 months.

Thanks Cecil for letting us participate!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Cecil, I have two labs. They rarely go past knee deep in cool weather, or belly deep in hot weather unless encouraged. My chocolate lab will wade out to eat a few pellets while feeding but the fish don't seem to mind.

When we built the house, we split the utility room so they could have their own space to dry off. They have short hair and oily skin so they dry quickly.

Labs and ponds go together like peas and carrots.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Cecil

You'll know when you find him/her......nothing more....nothing less.

Have a great day!!

Chuck

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cecil,

My heart goes out to you on the loss of your dog. Just last night, we had to say farewell to our Golden Retreiver after 13 years together. It was hard to watch my children laying on the floor with him at the vet during their tearful goodbyes.

Goodbye Cycle good friend and companion.

Following is the letter that my 11 year old son wrote in his remembrance:

"In honor of Cycle. The best dog a guy could have and my best friend forever. The dog who I knew before I was born. The dog who died knowing he had a family who loved him more than life itself. My last words to him were I love you. So again I say in honor of Cycle the best dog in the world and my best friend forever. Dear God, please take the best care of Cycle, always remind him that we love him."

Cycle 1996 - 2008 rest in peace good ol' boy

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Blaine
Cecil,

My heart goes out to you on the loss of your dog. Just last night, we had to say farewell to our Golden Retreiver after 13 years together. It was hard to watch my children laying on the floor with him at the vet during their tearful goodbyes.

Goodbye Cycle good friend and companion.

Following is the letter that my 11 year old son wrote in his remembrance:

"In honor of Cycle. The best dog a guy could have and my best friend forever. The dog who I knew before I was born. The dog who died knowing he had a family who loved him more than life itself. My last words to him were I love you. So again I say in honor of Cycle the best dog in the world and my best friend forever. Dear God, please take the best care of Cycle, always remind him that we love him."

Cycle 1996 - 2008 rest in peace good ol' boy

Blaine,

I'm so sorry for your loss! This time I can honestly say I have a darn good idea what you're going through! Wow he was a beauty! Your post brought tears to my eyes reading that!

Let's hope Cycle and Sandy may meet each other where all of God's creatures go!

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Cecil / Blaine - Strong stuff. Brings back good and sad memories from me too.

You both have my thoughts and condolences.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Got a tear in my eye also, Blaine.

Cycle can hang with my good friend, K.C., up there in dog heaven.

He's been there a little over a year now and knows the ropes.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Blaine, Cycle is a handsom dog. I'm sorry to hear that he passed on. Golden Retrievers make such good pets. They are full of personality and their great with children.

Cycle looks like Sievers retriever. Did you adopt him in Mepin IL?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Brett,

We adopted him from a breeder near Delphi, IN. He was extraordinary. In his entire life he never once chewed on anything that wasn't his, almost never had accidents in the house even as a new puppy, rarely wandered from home (except for the time he went on that diet), never bit, and was one hell of a ball player / frisbie catcher. He will be missed all. Our Newfoundland is still looking for him and keeps looking at me with those sad drooping eyes.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Blaine, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a pet is gut wrenching.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Cecil, thanks for sharing. Did you make a decision yet?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm pulling for Wellington.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Got a tear in my eye also, Blaine.

Cycle can hang with my good friend, K.C., up there in dog heaven.

He's been there a little over a year now and knows the ropes.

And if anything rubbed off from his owner Sunil he's a wheeler dealer up there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 12:10 PM
'Nother New Guy
by John Folchetti - 04/19/24 11:40 AM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
Major Fail