Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fishingadventure), 495 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#122724 06/23/08 07:51 AM
B
BassPRO Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
B
Like many pond managers, I have a problem with Canadian Geese. Thery are all over my lawn and everyone else's. There are plenty of commercial products available but can anyone tell me what works and what doesn't?

Thanks

BassPRO #122751 06/23/08 10:39 AM
Lunker
Lunker
We call them sky carp around here. One of the resorts I go to
uses a simple method to keep them off their beach and grass. They don't like to cross "things" so the resort owner goes out in
the evening and puts a small two rope fence at the water's edge. Keeps the geese out at night, and the activity at the resort keeps them away during the day. The fence has a one line about a foot over the surface and one about 6 inches over the surface.
If you have a spot they walk in from maybe this will help.
the stick

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
BassPRO #122890 06/24/08 10:59 AM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I've used bottle rockets, stones, RC boat, dog, screaming, yelling and waving my arms frantically.

The best method so far is to let the dog loose. He learned real quick to chase the geese. If they go into the pond, I break out the radio controlled boat. I found I had to be diligent and they have learned not to try and rest or nest on my ponds.

The dog even runs to the door now when he hears them honking.

Chuck

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
ChuckC #123000 06/25/08 08:51 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I found a way to keep them away by accident.I put a pier all the way across the pond this winter (most of it was given to me). This spring the dog would chase them into the water. Problem was they couldn't really escape by swimming to the other side of the pond as the pier blocked them. They head in the direction of the pier and the dog or I get up on the pier. They head to the other bank and we are at the other bank. Afte a couple of fly ins by these flying toilets (Bill cody term) and our subsequent harrassment they aren't coming back.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
The Ohio DNR recommends Bear Bangers AKA shell crackers.
http://www.macecanada.com/canada/wilderness1/cartridges/12_gauge_bearbangers.htm

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Bearbangers? I NEED SOME OF THOSE!!

I don't mind the geese, I harvest quite a few during the season and geese are habitual. What I get are snowmobilers in the winter that like to ride across the pond (after passing numerous signs). They tear up the banks if the graound isn't frozen through and run when they see me coming out of the house.

If I could launch a few of these in their midst from the far side of the house might make them think about coming back!!

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
We call them flying Labradors. I have heard of a product called "Invisible Fence" or something like that. My understanding is that it is a natural, non-toxic liquid made mostly of grape seed oil. You spray this liquid on your grass or wherever they are grazing. Supposedly the grape seed oil makes their mouths/bills numb which irritates them. Eventually they get sick of it and fly away. As headhunter mentioned, geese are habitual so if they come back and experience the same thing they will not come back again. I don't know how effective it is or how much it costs but it may be something to look into.

Richard Dennis
EP Aeration
rich@epaeration.com
www.epaeration.com
(800) 556-9251

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Last night I was re-reading the May/June Pond Boss magazine for fun and profit. I noticed on page 82 a product named "Away with Geese" (website is http://www.awaywithgeese.com). It sounds interesting. It's a little pricy ($335) but might be worth it in the long run. I don't have one so I have no idea if they work. The basic premise is that it flashes a light that disrupts the geese's sleeping patterns.

Anyone use one of these?

The only probem that I see is that if your bedroom is near the pond it might disrupt your sleeping pattern also. Might also mess with other animal's sleeping patterns as well (I don't know).

Two years ago when a herd of geese discovered my pond I developed the habit of chasing them everyday with the Polarus. They took the hint and left. Didn't come back last year or this year (so far anyhoo).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Jeffhasapond -- they donated one of the goose deterrent systems for the silent auction at the Pond Boss Conference next week, so we'll get to take a look at it.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Lunker
Lunker
Sunil is busy lining up sleepy geese to test it on.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 07/05/08 02:02 PM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks for taking care of that little assignment for us, Theo. \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Theo you left Sunil in charge of the Geese?????

Jeez, my guess is now we're gonna have a flock of hung over geese.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I use a 12ga and some lite load shells.
I tried bottle rockets and M80s, you could toss it right beside them and they wouldn't even flinch. I think they even laughed. They don't laugh about the Remington. Usually only takes one shot.
Funny story (to me anyway, I'm a city boy) one morning I went out to "encourage" the crappers to pick another pond bank and after a shot or two, they bailed. I'm standing there admiring my now empty pond bank and I hear a crashing sound in the woods behind me... two labs bust out of the woods from the nieghborhood next door and start working the bank and wimpering, one and then finally the other dive into the pond and start swimming circles... it took ten minutes to convince them it was a "false alarm", I finally had to go up to the house and get biscuits to coax them out of the water.

Jeff-

1 acre pond, slopes to 15ft depth. Has BG and few LMB plus a half dozen pesky sliders.
[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
TennJeff #132853 09/19/08 09:26 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is another recent Geese thread.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=11814&Number=132756#Post132756

I like the Mr. Willy reported control method from http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=61576&fpart=1

mr willy

Loc: IOWA
(216.203.126.220) This doesn't have much in common with the thread but is a funny story just the same. About fifteen years ago there was a guy who used to feed the Canadian geese at a lake in Rochester Minnesota. The city for the most part hated the birds, lots of crapping, getting in the way of cars etc.. A large flock living year round in this partially heated lake. Some people would park their cars by the lake and feed the birds bread, So after a spell the birds became very tame. A mother and her daughter were feeding the geese one day, when the little girl noticed that a goose that had gone under one of the parked trucks and did not come back out. She told her mother about the bird and the two of them watched a second goose disappear the same way. They explained this to a cop who was driving through the parking lot. When the officer went to investigate the four wheel drive truck, he noticed while talking to the driver, that a large hole had been cut out of the trucks passenger floor board and broken pieces of bread in the seat above. This guy was waving the bread through the hole, and when the poor goose would poke his head up into the truck, the enterprising hunter would grab the neck of the bird, spin it around a few times and throw them behind the seat. They found out later on that this old guy had been doing this for years. Maybe we could find this fella and send him ML's way. :p

ewest #132860 09/19/08 10:58 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Ohio DNR recommendation

The Shell crackers look like fun

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/goose%20conflicts/gooseconflict-9.pdf

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
TennJeff #132861 09/19/08 11:04 AM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Jeff:
Great story!

ewest #132863 09/19/08 11:07 AM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
If you can afford to let the riparian grass to grow, I've had good luck with a tall buffer strip of grasses. They prefer to be able to move from food (mowed lawns) to water easily, plus i think they instinctively know predators can hide there. In my book a good 10' strip of wild plants is a win win situation because of its filtration capacity as well as the habitat provided for positive pond creatures (well, maybe not muskrats, but I'll take them over geese any day).

Justin McLeod
If you don't know where to start, go back to the beginning.

jmcleod@thepondguy.com
http://www.thepondguy.com

JMAC #132897 09/19/08 09:13 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
For rural folks like me I have "heard"....that if you use a 22 rimfire and body shoot them with short HP ammo they will make a minimal ruckus and bleed out without flying away. I have also "heard"........ that once recovered if hung by the feet the breast meat is easily filleted out of them using a spring clamp to hold the wings back, the rumor is you have to skin the chest area to remove all feathers but this I'm told is easy to do by hand. I also "hear".....that a very tasty jerky can be made from this meat. I can tell you these bird are protected by federal law so harvesting them is regulated, I don't really know how all this works or applies to anyone in an urban setting either. I don't have any geese on my pond.

PS: I will email the jerky recipe if anyone is interested.

JoeG #132930 09/20/08 05:10 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
A pair of Mute Swans...swans hate geese and are extremely territorial. They come in mated pairs and the wings are pinioned so they are flightless. They are also big birds, up to 48" tall with a 84" wings span. They will take care of a lot of wading bird problems as well.

Eddie Aday
Asgard Farm
Home of Asgard Alpacas
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
and a border collie who also does frisbee tricks...

Eddie Aday
Asgard Farm
Home of Asgard Alpacas
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Motion detected sprinkler
Shake their eggs in the nest
Shoot them
Shoot at them
Film a hunting show
Paint Ball Gun Fun
Poison Corn
Coyote Decoy Moved Around
Propane Cannon Blaster
Camoflaged ScareCrow
Alligator Decoys with Solar Eyes

Use any combination of the above, some may or may not apply to your unique situation. Have FUN with them! Make it a challenge, then when you have successfully scared off all the geese you will have to find a new hobby.

n8ly #136176 10/16/08 11:58 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
My neighbor has a great method to keep the geese off of her property. She runs out of her house weilding a broom and screaming. It seems to work and I get a good laugh out of it. She reminds me of the crazy cat throwing lady on the Simpsons.

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
I had a friend in which one of his geese fell misfortune to a hunting accident and she let it lay in the water. They all left immidiatly for a considerable lenght of time.

kjmiller #136341 10/17/08 06:22 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Brettski #138955 11/18/08 12:34 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Shoot.....my new pond is goose friendly. Geese roosting on your pond would be a great thing. All that slicker-than stuff in the water helps fertilize the aquatic vegetation and it provides food for the perch and bass. Helps them grow to be trophy size and helps flavor their flesh so they taste great!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner