Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#138377 11/11/08 11:40 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918) Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

george1 #138379 11/11/08 12:06 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks george, and thanks to all the vets out there.

reminds me to send a message to my dad today. he was a gunnery officer on a destroyer in the s. pacific, lost his hearing.

GSF are people too!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I want to thank all my fellow veterans on this site and off of this site too. I'm a little bummed that a man who got five deferments to keep him from serving his country, is laying the wreath on the tomb of the unknown solider today, but I won't go there any further. \:\(

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
What is a Vet?

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg--or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking.

So what is a vet?

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Iraq sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

She is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the drill instructor that has never seen combat--but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks, city boys, and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another--or didn't come back at all.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor die unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket--palsied now and aggravatingly slow--who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

They are fathers, mothers, grandfathers, grandmothers. Sisters and brothers. Aunts and uncles. The quiet ones who are your neighbors, who may not even fly the flag they served under, not shouting their victories or showing off their medals. They are the ones who know the smells that go along with the pictures and memories.

They are ordinary and yet extraordinary human beings, people who offered some of their life's most vital years in the service of their country, and who sacrificed their ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say, "Thank you." That's all most people need, and in most cases, it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot: "THANK YOU."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Very nice tribute Theo, God Bless America!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Well said, guys. Thanks to all who have served at home and abroad so that we can enjoy all of the little things we so often take for granted.

God bless America!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
davatsa #138403 11/11/08 05:54 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
God DID bless America WITH Vets!

Rainman #138409 11/11/08 06:45 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
To all the vets, I can't ever thank you enough. To everyone else, your thanks mean more than you'll ever know!

bobad #138418 11/11/08 08:41 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I, too, would like to give thanks to all the great veterans on this site and elsewhere, that have served this country of ours.
Thank you.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
bbjr #138419 11/11/08 08:46 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
As Lincoln said, "that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion — that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain — that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom .... " Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

We honour the memory of brave, modest men and women who, by forfeiting their today, gave us our tomorrow. Remembering is easy. It connects us to our past, but also ties us inextricably to the future.

I stand here alone
with loved ones to hand;
my tributes to lay
on this salient land.
The voices within
as mem'ries unfold
of a comrade at peace now
who shall grow not old.

A tree gives me shade
in gardens so fine;
a stone with inscription
that goes beyond time.
The headstones are neat
in rows marching past
and the names of the fallen,
forever will last

A son kneels to touch
his father's cold stone;
a tear in his eye for
a friend long since gone.
A woman stands proud,
with medals on show,
for a husband who died that
his children might grow.

Recorded in stone
and gun metal grey,
those heroes in silence
look down as we pray.
The standard is dip'd,
the flowers are laid
then the music is sounded
and homage is paid.

They left us a torch
to carry with pride
and hope for a future
where peace can abide.
I dream of a life,
that's lived without fear,
it is for that tomorrow
our people lie here.

© June 2006 Nigel J.C. Turnbull

Last edited by ewest; 11/11/08 09:09 PM.

ewest #138424 11/11/08 09:43 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I certainly didn't plan on being a veteran, but our Uncle Sam had a different idea in 1968.

I've never regretted any of my six years of duty. I'd do it again. I was fortunate to come home. I was even more fortunate to come home whole, alive, and without serious mental scars. So many friends didn't. They are the ones we must honor, remember, and support in every possible way.

catmandoo #138425 11/11/08 10:11 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
May the Lord bless every person that has contributed to make this the greatest country in the world, especially our veterans.

Basil
Leonard
Worrel
Randy
Brad
Mike
Doc
Mary
Ann
Jerry
Robert
Lewis
and so many more I know or have known.

God Bless America! \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #138441 11/12/08 06:44 AM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
THANK YOU(Enough words could never be spoken about the thanks,respect and admiration our troops,past and present deserve.)

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

TOM G #138444 11/12/08 07:20 AM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I put four years in the army and served during the first gulf war, though I spent my "100 hours" in Germany at the time and was never deployed. I had my shots and my will was made out but I was not needed. I guess I am a veteran but my service pales in comparison to the men and women who lived the history war movies are made from, I thank them one and all, and silently respect those no longer here to tell the story.

JoeG #138454 11/12/08 10:33 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: JoeG
I put four years in the army and served during the first gulf war, though I spent my "100 hours" in Germany at the time and was never deployed. I had my shots and my will was made out but I was not needed. I guess I am a veteran but my service pales in comparison to the men and women who lived the history war movies are made from, I thank them one and all, and silently respect those no longer here to tell the story.

I can kind of relate Joe. I missed the Gulf War by 20 minutes. It ended earlier than expected.

If anything my childhood years of being a military dependent almost qualified me as being a veteran. Lots of hard knocks as a military dependent moving every two years.

Joe did you like Germany? I spent quite a few years over there when my dad was stationed there. The first post was Karlshrue (sp?)and the other one was Bad Tolz. My mother is German and I have relatives there. My wife is a German teacher although she is not German.

Bavaria was absolutely breathtaking!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

JoeG #138475 11/12/08 02:49 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: JoeG

Amen Joe. I put in 20 in the Navy and had the fortunate experience of being stationed with the Marines during Desert Sheild/Storm (I was Navy Corpsman, medic in civilian speak). Couldnt have gone into that situation with a better bunch of guys. It's a sobering thing to fill out your will, write a letter to you parents in case you don't make it, and sit on a amphib with a bag full of morphine, praying you don't have to use it (I didn't). Looking back, It was a major point in my life that permanently changed my outlook on what is important in life. I have never put family or friends below the day to day worries every again.

Great post Theo,

Thanks to all my fellow vets, Past, present, and future. And especially thanks to all of you who appreciate what they do. Those 2 words, while embarassing some of us, mean more than you could possibley imagine.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
A Vet is the kind of guy who came home, changed clothes, and went back to work or school.

Although there are some who live as professional(?) veterans and hang around the VFW Hall, most of us just put the whole thing in our rear view mirrors.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
as a kid, my dad never spoke to me about his service until i was much older and was asking him questions about it. he lost his hearing along with some 17,000 others and when discharged, learned how to read lips and went back to work, a very successful career on top of it. i've never heard him complain about it once in his entire life. IMO, that was the greatest generation.

GSF are people too!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I can trace my hearing loss back to sleeping under the TALOS SAM missile launcher on a heavy cruiser. In early civilian life, before hearing protection was popular, working near shipboard crane winch generators. My wife complains all the time about it. She will look out the window of the car on a trip and sorta mumble and expect me to hear her. ALL she has to do is look at me and shout in my right(worse) ear thru an electronic horn. I am down 65-70 db in hearing. I tried a cheap hearing aid in 1 ear for a while, then chunked it. I could hear disturbing noises, like the refrig. running, dogs walking on the, at the time, pergo floor in kitchen, birds singing, heavy metal music, etc. Now I am back to normal. Please just TYPE LOUDLY.

The biggest embarrassment is trying to converse with my grandkids. If they had something just for squeaky little voices. The other day, I was talking to my 6 yr. old GD about her birthday presents. She said she got a smart reader game, or some such.I thought she said a smurf reader. They're used to it by now.

Last edited by burgermeister; 11/14/08 12:39 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My dad lost a lot of his hearing on helicopter gunships in Vietnam. He has hearing aids but hardly uses them. I'm pretty sure he just pretends to listen to my mom most of the time.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
I can trace my hearing loss back to sleeping under the TALOS SAM missile launcher on a heavy cruiser.

Most of my hearing loss is from getting trapped in the muzzle flash of a 50 Cal. machine gun. It singed my mustache and eye lashes, and felt like ice picks sticking through my ear drums. To this day I hear a very loud, high pitched turbine sound in both ears 24/7/365.

bobad #138662 11/14/08 06:46 PM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
The thing that always tickled me was watching guys get on or off the huey in Nam and hunching over like the blade would take their head off, they couldn't reach it if they jumped up.
Watch on TV when people are near a chopper, they practically crawl.
My wife thinks im sadistic when I laugh at people who do that.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
The thing that always tickled me was watching guys get on or off the huey in Nam and hunching over like the blade would take their head off, they couldn't reach it if they jumped up.
Watch on TV when people are near a chopper, they practically crawl.
My wife thinks im sadistic when I laugh at people who do that.

AP,

There must be some smaller choppers that are dangerous as my dad said he watched a SV solider get hacked up by a blade by walking into it.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Cecil, the cayuse was a small chopper but the blades were still pretty high, but with uneven ground or near a hillside it is possible to be near a blade, thats probably what happened.
When landing in the boonies the LZ's could have shell craters.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
The thing that always tickled me was watching guys get on or off the huey in Nam and hunching over like the blade would take their head off

That's very much misunderstood. It's not the blades we are ducking, it's the wind and flying debris. It's a pretty strong instinct to duck down in high wind to protect your face and eyes, and to keep a low center of gravity to prevent losing your balance.

When a bird lands on sloping terrain, the blade tips can be at shoulder level. So we were trained to be wary and duck just in case.

Last edited by bobad; 11/14/08 09:21 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??