Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,991
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (bmicek, nvcdl, jmartin, Sunil, Dave Davidson1), 1,172 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#138321 11/10/08 08:53 PM
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
i was looking at photos on Greg's site and saw a pic of a coosa bass. what is the difference in it and lmb?

Scott Hanners
scott69 #138332 11/10/08 09:28 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Black Bass Species
Eight Species of Black Bass
By Ronnie Garrison, About.com

Most bass fishermen are familiar with largemouth and smallmouth bass, and southern bass fishermen know about spotted bass, too. But there are other kinds of black bass out there even if not well known. Some of these species are restricted to a few streams but others are more wide-spread. Not all are recognized by the International Game Fish Association but biologists say they are distinct species. All are of the genus "Micropterus" and can interbreed, producing hybrids of the two species. Some, like the largemouth, have distinct subspecies.
Black bass are related to sunfish and are not true bass. True bass like stripers and white bass are in the genus Morone.

Largemouth Bass - Micropterus salmoides - World record - 22 pounds 4 ounces - Original habitat eastern US and northern Mexico and southern Canada, has been transplanted by man to all 50 US states, all of Mexico and Central America and many other countries. Jaw extends past the rear edge of the eye when closed, dorsal fins are seperate. Divided into Florida and Northern strains. Most popular game fish.

Smallmouth Bass - Micropterus dolomineu - World Record 11 pounds 15 ounces - Native to the eastern half of the US and sotheastern Canada, has been widely transplanted to almost every US state and many countries. Jaw does not extend past the back of the eye, dorsal fins connected.

Spotted Bass - Micropterus punctulatus - World record 10 pounds 4 ounces - Original habitat central and lower Mississippi basin to the Gulf of Mexico, from Texas to Florida panhandle and in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and other nearby states. It has been introduced into other waters near those, too, as well as California. Jaw does not ex tend past the eye, has lines of spots on lower body and a rough patch of "teeth" on its tongue. Divided into Kentucky, or northern, Alabama, or Coosa, and Wichita subspecies, the Wichita is found only in West Cache Creek in Oklahoma.

Shoal Bass - Micropterus cataactae - World record 8 pounds, 12 ounces - Natural range is the Apalachicola, Chattahoochee and Flint River drainages of Alabam, Florida and Georgia, has been introduced to nearby waters expecially the Altamaha River in Georgia. Jaw does not extend past the eye, no teeth on the tongue.

Redeye Bass - Micropterus coosae - No world record, Alabama state record is 3 pounds, 2 ounces. Shoal bass were included under this species and all listed records were for shoal bass so they transfered when they were seperated. Very similar to shoal and spotted bass and occur in many of the same areas, usually do not get over four pounds.

Suwannee Bass - Micropterus notius - No world record, seldom gets bigger than 12 inches long. Looks a lot like a spotted bass. Natural range is parts of the Suwannee and Ochlockonee Rivers in Florida and Georgia.

Guadalupe Bass- Micropterus treculi - No world record, Texas Parks and Wildlife says they grow to 3.5 pounds. Naturally found only in Texas in parts of the San Antonio, Guadalupe, Colorado, and Brazos River drainages. Some have been introduced outside these rivers.

Bartram's Bass - Micropterus bartrami - No world record - A bass very similar to the shoal bass but limited to the upper drainage of the Broad and Savannah Rivers in Georgia. There is still some question if it is a different species

Last edited by ewest; 11/10/08 09:29 PM.

ewest #138336 11/10/08 09:56 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: ewest

Guadalupe Bass- Micropterus treculi - No world record, Texas Parks and Wildlife says they grow to 3.5 pounds. Naturally found only in Texas in parts of the San Antonio, Guadalupe, Colorado, and Brazos River drainages. Some have been introduced outside these rivers.

Shout out to the Guadalupe Bass! Good to see those little guys finally get the recognition they deserve.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
davatsa #138496 11/12/08 05:41 PM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
whoa someone was looking at my site. Glad to see our hard work was viewed by someone thanks Scott. To summarize coosa also called redeye this one actually came out of a moutain lake in Clevland, GA.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
the reason for me asking is: my friend caught a few bass (7) from a pond about 10 miles from my house. he threw them in a bucket and hurried them to my house to put in my pond.... it is too early to stock the bass in my pond, but i wanted to get try and take control of the goldfish (read my other post about goldfish)....we noticed that some of the bass looked different. i grew up fishing lake west point which is a large reservoir and i am familiar with spots and lmb. some of them resembled a spot, but no teeth on the tongue. i just figured they looked different because of their age. now i am not sure what kinda bass i have in there. the old man that owned the pond where the bass came from had it stocked from someone local about 10 years ago. i am almost sure he called auburn university to get contact info for a supplier.

Scott Hanners
scott69 #138552 11/13/08 11:21 AM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
hmm.. if they got in from local creek they could well have been coosa bass did they have red eyes?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
i am not sure about the redeyes. we used to catch bass in west point from time to time that looked different. some would have teeth on their tongue, but wouldnt look like a spot. these from the pond were opposite.
i saw a picture online of some bass caught on the flint river, they also had a unique look to them.

Scott Hanners

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt