Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#138191 11/07/08 12:33 PM
B
Bing Offline OP
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I started two syphon hoses on my three acre pond three days ago. Dropping it about six feet will put the dock entirely out of water, and allow me to do some maintenance. In the 72 hours since I started the lake has dropped about 11 inches. With the shrinking diameter of the surface the daily rate has gone from less than two inches the first day to about four per day now.

It has been three or four years since the last draw down and there is a lot of debris to clean up around the banks and some re-arrangements I want to make to my aeration system that will be much easier to do with the water level lower. Already I have found a missing bucket, and perhaps I can find the dock storage box and steel fish ruler that have gone swimming on me. I'm not too sure I will have that much luck with the steel brag stick, the socket wrench or the needle nose plyers. As explained in the following link, I use a cheap and dirty method of syphon, and it takes a little longer than pumps and bigger hoses, etc., but I've got all winter.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=97478&fpart=1

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Bing . Have any pics. ?

Last edited by ewest; 11/08/08 09:19 AM.

B
Bing Offline OP
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I started this post in order to keep a record on how fast the pond dropped, how far down I took it, what changes I saw from the several years ago when I last dropped it, etc. I believe the draw down started eight days ago, Tuesday of last week. The last time I saw my pond was last Friday AM before I left for work and it had dropped 10 inches or so.

I had a little in home accident friday evening and fell down some stairs. Turns our I tore, ruptured and partially severed my Quadracept muscle in my right leg. I had surgery Saturday and I am in, and will likely be in a Rehab. enter in St. Louis for a while. I will be here at least through next Monday, and perhaps a week or two longer. Therefore there won't be any further first hand updates on the draw down.

I do know that it has dropped about 24 inches, but don't have any first hand observations to pass on about it.

At the very least, my family and friends will monitor the lake's fall and shut off the syphon when it drops 5 or 6 feet. That level where the posts to the dock are and part of what I was trying to accomplish was getting the post out of the water to reposition aerator hoses at the bottom of the dock, etc.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sorry to hear that, Bing. Hope you start felling better soon. Those major muscles are sometimes easy to re-aggrevate, so take it easy, too.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Bing sorry about the fall. Get well soon. The pond will wait. BTW do listen to the doc and follow orders. To much to fast and you may have to start over.

Lunker
Lunker
Yowwwch! Here's hoping you heal up ASAP.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
speedy recovery bing, its great you got family and friends to help out.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've met Bing....he's an ornery old hunk of hickory that barely bends in 100 mph wind. He'll be back on the job with Mother Nature before you can say RCA Victor.

(get well soon) \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Wow, sorry to hear that Bing.

I sure would appreciate if you PM me the address you'll be staying at while in St. Louis. I'd like to send something along.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My gut twisted and I 'm not real sure what the muscle is. Get well soon Fred.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jeeze Bing you're not supposed to do that! I hope your recuperation is rapid.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Time to chime in Bing with an update. How is the recovery coming along?

B
Bing Offline OP
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I started this post in order to keep a record on how fast the pond dropped, how far down I took it, what changes I saw from the several years ago when I last dropped it, etc.

Unfortunately, a week ago last Friday I had a little in home accident and fell down some stairs. Turns out I tore, ruptured and totally severed my Quadracept muscle in my right leg. It tore loose from the knee. I had surgery in St. Louis a week ago last Saturday and spent a week in the hospital and in a rehab unit of the hospital. I know this may sound like bragging like we do about pond size or bar-b-cue recipes, but my surgeon said in his 20 years in practice this was the worse example of this injury that he had seen. (You gotta brag about something).

I had the 30 or so stitches removed from my knee and returned home yesterday. I am doing great. I will be home bound for five or six more weeks as the tendons or ligaments reattach themselves to my knee. My right leg is in a strap on cast type of thing and I cannot bend my knee for any reason for at least that period of time.

I have some pain, but managable with little white pills. Those of you who know Connie know that I will receive the best of care. Also those of you who know me know that I already walk with a limp as I am a Polio survivor, having had that little issue when I was less than a year old back in 1941. This has caused a life long limp with left leg issues and a weakened right arm. This helps complicate things because I injured the right, "good" leg. It just means I need to make some adjustments, getting in and out of chairs, bed, etc.

With all of this said, Life Is Good. My wife has always liked that logoed phrase, and I have a significant collection of "Life is Good" t-shirts. Most of them just say Life Is Good with a fishing motif. I wear one every day, and couldn't agree more.

Oh, by the way, although we have had over an inch of rain since I started dropping the pond it is down about 3 feet (half way). I can stand in my kitchen or on the screened porch and observe the fall and think about getting well enough by spring to do a little of the pond maintenance I had planned.

Thanks for caring, God Bless you all.

Bing

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Bing, don't hesitate to call if you need something done!

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Bing, thanks for the update. I know a lot of people were worried about you. Take care and just relax, eat, and watch football and you'll be back to normal (?) before you know it.
Best wishes, Randy

Just do it...
B
Bing Offline OP
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B

rmedgar: "Take care and just relax, eat, and watch football and you'll be back to normal (?) before you know it."

Rmedgar: Thanks, actually Taking care and just relaxing, eating and watching football is mormal for me.

Bing

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Probably too cold to get out much anyway. Good timing for the fall heal just in time for sprign pond work. Wishing you the best in recovery.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I hope you didnt drain your pond just to find the stuff you droped in? Would have been much cheaper to buy a rare earth magnet N50 1" x 1" x 1" and you probably would have found all your stuff. Ebay has them for about $15-20.

B
Bing Offline OP
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Originally posted by robbor:

I hope you didnt drain your pond just to find the stuff you droped in?

Robbor, I am not sure if you were kidding or not, but I will answer as if you were asking a serious question and making a serious suggestion.

No that is not the reason for my winter drawdown. If you have an older pond in an area of abundant rainfall there are some good reasons for this function. The most recent two issues of Pond Boss Magazine had a two part story on the advantages and pitfalls of drawdown. If you are not a subscriber I'd suggest you subscribe and buy those back issues.

Bing

B
Bing Offline OP
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I thought I'd update this thread, even though there is not much to tell, and because of just watching out the window I can't give you an accurate update on the pond's condition.

With the help of friends we kept the syphons in until about the first of December. At that time, despite about five inches of rain in November, the lake was down six or seven feet. Just enough to allow for the work we wanted to do around the edges and to the aeration system. We removed both syphons around December 1 and from my screened porch I could see most of what areas needed to be cleaned up, etc. Friends and local workers went around the bank and picked up most of the "random structure" mother nature gives you, tree limbs, etc. plus a couple of tubs, buckets, assorted ropes, etc. I'd say they picked up 8 or 10 mule full of debris.

THEN, it started to rain. 2008 set a record for the most rainfall in this part of the country. Around 60 inches and counting. I am not sure, but I would guess normal is in the 40 inch annual range.

Anyway, as I sit here with lake water once again on three sides of the house, I can see the water going over the spillway. Yes, it added six or seven feet in less than a month. I do have an adequate watershed.

However, with the help of mother nature and friends we got at least two goals accomplished. Removed the debris that had accumulated, and since we had about two weeks of down to zero temperatures, I think mother nature probably did a good job of killing some of the pond weed type of seeds I was hoping to expose to the environment and kill.

Two out of four goals, from the comfort of my recliner ain't bad.

As soon as we get a couple of warm days, and catch a couple of friends with not much to do we will start over, drop it down around 6 or 7 feet again, primarily to totally relocate and upgrade the aeration system and add some structure. Just in time for the recycled Christmas trees to be available.

Bing

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bing
Two out of four goals, from the comfort of my recliner ain't bad.

Indeed. If I had that high a batting average, I'd never leave the recliner.

I would move it out to the dock in the Summer time so I could fish.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
All things considered (ie; your tumble and subsequent surgery/rehab), you dun good Bing. Nice to have help available for such a time-constrained project...takes friends to a new level.
-
I don't know that I have seen a pic of your "pond-surrounded" homestead. I know you spend alot of time, effort, and $ to naturalize your habitat and surroundings. I would love to see a pic of the results.
-
How goes the rehab?

B
Bing Offline OP
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I will get out and take some pictures when weather and leg permits. The pond was described and pictured in a Pond Boss Magazine a few years ago. I am not sure of the issue, but it was a part of "Pond Boss World Tour III". (I wonder when they are going to do World Tour IV). Since then we've added aeration, a fountain, and soon a Green Monster light.

Not much rehab yet, just recovery. My leg is still in a full leg type of cast, not being about to bend the leg sure is a problem, no driving, of course, but not being able to bend it at all presents all sorts of daily issues. I go back to the doctor on January 5 and perhaps then I can start to do some rehab and begin to bend the leg at the knee again.

Brettski, thanks for asking.

Bing

D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
I was fortunate enough to see Bing's home/pond this year. He has a beautiful place. I wanted to get a closer look but it was raining so we observed from the covered porch. The whole place has a great back to nature vibe to it.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...