Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,923
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (canyoncreek, ghdmd, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, catscratch, Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, Theo Gallus, phinfan), 840 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
face72 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
So I installed a huge 80ft round 6 foot deep pond/lake liner in my pond this summer. It has a slow trickle of a creek that feeds it. I filled the pond with water and its holding great. I have a small trickle of a creek that feeds it..but at the point of where the creek enters the pond is tricky. Ive built a little in-creek/pre-pond before is spills into the lined pond. That pond isnt lined. The pre-pond is always full...yet its not full ENOUGH to spill over into the lined pond. (It does when it rains). But WHERE is the trickle water going? I thought it might be going UNDER the liner...but it isnt. Ive felt around in there... Its not bubbling up. The weight of the water is holding it down. But WHERE is the water going? Very odd?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Maybe its leaking into the twilite zone? \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: face72
So I installed a huge 80ft round 6 foot deep pond/lake liner in my pond this summer. It has a slow trickle of a creek that feeds it. I filled the pond with water and its holding great. I have a small trickle of a creek that feeds it..but at the point of where the creek enters the pond is tricky. Ive built a little in-creek/pre-pond before is spills into the lined pond. That pond isnt lined. The pre-pond is always full...yet its not full ENOUGH to spill over into the lined pond. (It does when it rains). But WHERE is the trickle water going? I thought it might be going UNDER the liner...but it isnt. Ive felt around in there... Its not bubbling up. The weight of the water is holding it down. But WHERE is the water going? Very odd?

If I understand you right you're saying a trickle of water is going into the pre-pond but not raising the level of the pre-pond eough to overflow into the largerer lined pond --so it has to be going somewhere? Sounds to me like it's seeping down somewhere, whether it be the bottom of the pre-pond or seeping out sideways from the pre-pond and down.

You may have just enough seepage to keep the pre-pond water depth at equilibrium. All soils seep a little regardless of how much clay there is. Some just seep more than others. You could also have a sand vein or less impervious layer just under the bottom or sides of your pre-pond that the water is seeping into.

On my property I have so much clay in the soil you could make pottery out of it! However that doesn't mean there isn't a sand vein somwhere and I've seen them as small as a few inches in diameter.

With creek so close there is a good chance there is some silt, sand, gravel, etc. deposited by that creek that allows water to seep in.

Can you line the pre-pond?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/24/08 03:11 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
face72 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
That's what I will probebly do next summer. That's my problem...where the lip of the liner and the bottom of the bottom of the pre-pond meet. That transition is difficult at best. The water gets full...but it peters out and it doesnt have enough to spill over. You could be right about that sand vein. That would explain it.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Well, I'm no expert but, if you felt the need to line your main pond then it seems logical that you had reason to believe your soil might leak so, your pre-pond is bound to have the same soil with the same problems. Water weighs something and creates pressure so, maybe it just filled up to the point where the pressure is forcing your pre-pond water to find a place to leak.

Just my guess...

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
F
face72 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Yeah I thought that too... Yeah...I put that liner in there because I had a leak in my pond. I actually knew were one of the leaks was..because I could see it coming out of the dam. Once I installed the liner....that leak wasnt there anymore. Yet the water is still coming in. It just doesnt come out (in a location where I can see it)

Very odd.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
The pre pond must have a natural outflow that is substantially lower than the intended channel, I wonder, if you have an available supply of sodium bentonite clay, that could be stomped into the area to force the water level up to the intended outflow

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/

F
face72 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
The prepond's bottom is part lined from the exsesive amount of liner I had for the lined pond. The sides/wall of the prepond is not lined. It does however had a heavy about of blue clay on it. I will have to get in there with the big cans of spray foam. Not the stuff you get at the pond store....the bb-q tank size spray foam you get out of the GRAINGER catalog. That stuff sets up quick....and theres plenty of it. That should stop it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM