Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#137197 10/27/08 05:37 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My trusty pal Sandy who is now about 12 years old is showing classic signs of kidney degeneration and weakness in her hind quarters that caused her to fall down a flight of stairs this morning. I think she attempted to climb the stairs to tell me she needed more water. She can't get up on her personal couch anymore either. I'm really sad but I know we all get old and die including of course our pets. I am self employed and she has been my company and sole companion during the day for years.

I'm going to make an appointment with the vet this morning to confirm this and possibly degenerative myelapathy. Hopefully there is a treatment that will let her hang in their a little longer and reduce the discomfort. I've already backed off on the protein and coincidentally this seems to coincide with the dog treats I recently got that are made in China. (The package deceptively won't say made in China just who distributes them). Most likely due to their high protein content that aggravates kidney disfunction but one never knows. I went into the trash.

For those of you that have pets I think you can relate.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/27/08 05:38 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Good looking dog.

I can relate. It's amazing how they become part of the family. My Golden Retriever has skin alergies that are pretty bad. Before we got him I could never imagine paying what we pay for his medicine. From now on I am getting pet insurence.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Sorry to hear that Cecil.

Nothing easy about it.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
She really is very pretty, Cecil.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Bummer Cecil, My dog got to where he couldn't get up last Christmas and we had to have him put to sleep. Hope Pup gets better.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Cecil, sorry to hear about her problems. One of my favorite picture ever on this site is the one of your dog lying on the snow next to a fishing hole in the ice. Can you post that one again?

Just do it...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...the end is not near, cuz it wouldn't be the end. It's just the next phase for both of you. If and when you are mourning Sandy's worldly departure, she's gonna be looking down and pitying you.
My faith assures me that you guys would be reunited. I always cling to this thought...and laugh a little thinking that I'm suddenly in no real hurry.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cecil,

I can certainly relate. Pets are special friends that you develop a relationship that defies description. The only way I can weakly describe that relationship is to say it's a "pure" friendship. You and your pet form a bond that is completely free from the restrictions that people put on their human friendships.

I lost my big 12 year old tom cat 5 months ago, and I'm still not over it. Thinking of all the funny things he did in those 12 years certainly eases the burden.

Best to you and Sandy. I hope with good treatment she can be your friend for a long time.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: heybud
Bummer Cecil, My dog got to where he couldn't get up last Christmas and we had to have him put to sleep. Hope Pup gets better.

Yeah I remember that Heybud. You were really broken it up about it and I sure can relate. About that same time she came down with what appeared to be kidney degeneration but the tests came out negative. At that time she was drinking a lot at night and really had to go in the morning. I think it turned out to be the dryness in our house in the winter and she was drinking a lot. But this seems different.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bobad
Cecil,

I can certainly relate. Pets are special friends that you develop a relationship that defies description. The only way I can weakly describe that relationship is to say it's a "pure" friendship. You and your pet form a bond that is completely free from the restrictions that people put on their human friendships.

I lost my big 12 year old tom cat 5 months ago, and I'm still not over it. Thinking of all the funny things he did in those 12 years certainly eases the burden.

Best to you and Sandy. I hope with good treatment she can be your friend for a long time.

I remember you sharing that with us bobad!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks all! Here's the picture rmedgar wanted me to post again. Fishing was kind of slow and she fell asleep at the job.

I like this one too:

Sandy was rescued at the dog pound (long story). Before we got her the wife said she wanted a big dog. I said I wanted one with personality. We definitely got both! Sandy really has personality and she can rest her head on the dinner table!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/27/08 09:13 AM.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
best wishes from el dorado cecil.

like bobad, we lost our fearless big orange tom (JOE) last november. admittedly, even though i dont care for cats, that one hurt bad.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I'm sorry to hear about this Cecil. Losing a pet is a horrible event. We lost our cat Conan a little over a year ago. Like you I'm self employed and he was our daily companion for 10 years. You really miss then when they are gone. To this day every now and then I'll hear a noise in the house and think it's Conan messing with something.

Hang in there my friend. Try to focus on the fact that Sandy has been a good companion for a long time and that you provided her a loving fun filled home.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
Our first Lab is one of the 3 people I want to see most after I go.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
She seems to be getting around O.K. this morning and has even gotten up on her personal couch. The vet wants me to bring urine sample in. Only problem at when I took her out at lunch time I must have had the shallow plastic lid too far back and didn't get a drop. I know where the tinkler is on a human female but I guess I need to brush up on dogs.

I've got her trained to pee on command but when I tried it again and told her too she looked at me like "You had your chance I'm not doing it again!"

Or maybe she's got an infection and none came out?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Hang in there Cecil. I had a Akita for only 3 years that I was really close to. Lost that dog 12 years ago and I still think of him. She is a pretty dog and I hope you guys have a few more years together.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Cecil, hopefully you'll have more years with your best friend, our pets help make life more bearable, and they don't ask to borrow money. We would be alot poorer without them.
Our Maine coon cat (bobcat) was recently diagnosed with diabetes. we have to give him a shot every day, but he's doing ok now.
Best wishes to you'all.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My thoughts are with you, Cecil. Like Theo, I've always thought of my labs as people. She seems like a sweet dog and a great companion. The memories and the stories will live forever even though the rest of us can't. It sounds like you have plenty of those.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Sorry to hear your pup is hurting Cecil. I hope she gets better.

GW #137280 10/27/08 07:00 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Call if you need anything, buddy.

\:\(

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thank you all. I feel like we're one big family. If anyone ever needs someone to talk to you can call me too. I'm actually a good listener.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Keep us posted Cecil. I have been there before and have 2 moving that direction now. It hurts but you have the knowledge that you provided her as good a life as any friend could ask for.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil, I don't know if this will help at all, but I'm going to try anyway. I waited too long for my golden retriever, Mandy. I still have tough feelings about making her suffer longer than she should have. On my next challenge, I have promised myself to do better.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
After several of my visits to Cecil's I can testify that Sandy is a great dog - intelligent and friendly - a great people person dog - the best kind of companion.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil is a great person who would go out of his way to help another person.

His dog must be a lot like him.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails