Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn), 758 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Ok, not too sure how much experience you guys have with this, but here is the dilemma.

I'm off at college right now(CSULB) but at home we've got a liner made pond(aka The Bird Feeder) in our backyard. It is somewhere in the range of 1000-3000 gallons(very rough estimate). Anyway it is home to some goldfish(which never get much bigger than a foot prior to getting spirited away by egrets or green herons, 3 spine sticklebacks that made their way in with the plants, bullfrogs, and some bluespotted sunfish(aquarium fish).

Here is an old photo, it has since grown in much more. The shallow area slopes to about 2 feet and then drops to a deeper area of maybe 4 for a bit of an idea. The pond gets quite warm in the summer(guessing 75). It gets down to approx 40 in the winter, and has frozen over before(thin sheet). This is in Fresno, CA. I'm surprised the sticklebacks are doing ok but they hang out mainly in the deep side of the pond towards the fountain during the hottest times of year.

Anyway, when I get home I am going to be draining the pond, and removing all the fish to a seperate smaller one, to get rid of the sunfish(non-native). Is their any way I can ensure that they will no longer be present in the pond? I've heard throwing in lime in dirt ponds is used in FL fish farming operations to kill any fish remaining. Any other suggestions?

Anyway, that done I've toyed with several ideas for this pond.
-leave the sticklebacks and goldfish alone...and try to encourage pacific treefrogs
-put in a "pet catfish" plus some forage fish for it
-a few pumpkinseed/bluegill
-Sacramento perch or two?
-turtles(my dad is against the idea of an ugly fence around it though!)

The catfish and the perch would likely need to be raised in a net cage until big enough to be safe from the birds. I really don't mind them too much as they have never managed to eliminate the goldfish...and seeing them in the backyard is a cool treat.

Any thoughts on these? I've been told the pond is big enough for a few cats but it would seem a bit cramped to me. The obvious difference is this pond will have to be maintained more like an aquarium than a pond. I have done some fishing in here(bullfrogs, and the biggest bluespots can be removed this way). I'd love to do the last option but have no idea how you'd get ahold of our only native sunfish.

I understand the only legal way to get fish in CA is to obtain them from a licensed hatchery. Does anyone here know if they would sell the small quantities needed for this pond? Or if anyone nearby is willing to split an order?

Thanks!
~Joseph

Last edited by Critterguy; 09/26/08 05:10 PM.
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hey critterguy.

I think there are too many possibilities for your little pond. The native fish idea appeals to me, couldn't you fish for them?

GW (fish for brains)

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Quote:
... it is home to some goldfish(which never get much bigger than a foot prior to getting spirited away by egrets or green herons

Quote:
The catfish and the perch would likely need to be raised in a net cage until big enough to be safe from the birds.

They may well get too big to be eaten, but not too big to be possibly speared. Herons can have eyes bigger than their bellies.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Unless you are hung up on the idea of absolutely fishing there, which sorry to say from my point of view, it looks too small to fish in, I'd just use the pond for minnows. You could raise more fathead minnows than the herons could ever eat, plus you can feed them and enjoy watching them grow. If they got quite plentiful you could buy a couple channel cats to help keep the numbers down, or just let them multiply maybe sell bait? Maybe others can comment.

If you drain it dry your sunfish won't survive the renovation process.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Rosy Reds would be cool.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
lime would kill the eggs and vegetation spores. I agree with Ric on rosey reds. 3 or 4 male pumkinseed and/or longear, redbreast sunfish would be pretty.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Joseph, there are several fish farms in your area. Goldenstate Bait in Merced and Speed Tech in Snelling both of them have Sacramento Perch (which is probably where I'm going to get SacPer). Speed Tech also sells Sacramento Blackfish and Sacramento Suckers. I have no idea about selling small quantities but I'll bet that if you called them and would pick up the fish and overpay a little (make it worth their while) then they would part with a small number.

If you click on this link --> California Registered Aquaculturists you will see a link to a pdf list of Aquaculturists (the first link on the page).

My Mom has a backyard koi pond. Her fish kept getting wiped out by herons. She installed one of those electric eye sprinkler things that spray when it senses motion. Worked great, no more herons. Occasionally she has to deal with a wet dog though.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
And sometimes a wet JHAP too.

Good info. JHAP.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Great stuff Jeff. We did get one of those for cats and used it briefly but gave it to our grandma who's had a cat problem lately too. I think it needs new batteries among other things.
I actually have not seen the herons around lately but part of that is that their aren't any big pretty goldfish and as you can see the elodea keeps them pretty safe.(I'd imagine this stuff would be incredibly obnoxious in a big pond...in this little one is is a great method of nutrient export). I won't be home till winter though...would it still be possible to pick up fish then? I'd suppose spring would be best? Do you think Sacramento perch(how many) would work ok in this pond? What about the other two?

Do you have contact info for Goldenstate bait, and maybe the other hatchery?

Their is actually also a pond project going on at my highschool I graduated from. They currently have goldfish in their(for some odd reason the petstore reccomended convicts as algae eaters which of course didn't last the winter). Some natives for that pond would be great too.

Joe: Any fishing would be catch and release to teach a kid or two how to fish. Of course if the pond gets to crowded could always remove a fish or two and then cull the little ones.

We did add rosy reds/fatheads a few times in the early years of the pond...but they never persisted, I think it had something to do with the goldfish and bullfrogs eating them. In any case I think the 3 spines have taken over that niche though the former are likely superior forage fish.

Last edited by Critterguy; 09/27/08 08:48 PM.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I don't have any specific contacts at Goldenstate or Speed Tech but if you click on the link above you can download and print a list that contains contact info. I've spoken to both Goldenstate and Speed Tech on the phone but that's about it.

Sacramento Perch get fairly big (23 inches and over 3 pounds). I wouldn't think you could have very many fish that size in 1K to 3K gallons. I would think that a moderate number of them would do fine in your pond. As to how many, I'd leave that answer to one of our experts.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
And sometimes a wet JHAP too.

I wasn't going to mention that Sunil.

Good info. JHAP.

I believe my useful post count is up to seven. I'm telling you I'm on a roll in 2008.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm gaining on ya JHAP.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Well, if several could be added, do well, and have a chance at breeding they'd be the no. 1. choice I think.

Would signal crayfish be appropriate also? I'd rather not have something totally decimating the plants but their is a lot of elodea...we throw out bucketfuls of it each spring. If they'd consume that and ignore are more desirable plants(lilies, pickerelweed, hairgrass etc.) that'd be excellent. Look tasty, too!

Last edited by Critterguy; 09/29/08 11:59 AM.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I don't have any experience with crayfish.

Can someone else address the crayfish question?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
C'mon guys!

If Sac. perch are too big, green sunfish would be an ok substitute. I can't find anyone offering pumpkinseeds or longears near me. Redear are pretty commonly raised it seems though.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Ah, Green Sunfish my most favorite sunfish. Grows to a fair size in California. DIED has them 11 inches long and 1.25 pounds. Also a great fighting fish, not to mention beautiful and extremely smart. I've never seen pumpkinseeds or longears for sale in California. Redears, Bluegill and Green Sunfish are available. Actually a Redear and Green Sunfish mix in your pond could be a lot of fun. Of course some folks will tell you that I'm biased toward GSF.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I'll go ahead and admit I am biased towards the idea of having natives, but GSF and Sac perch seem similar enough minus the size difference. Anyone here have any exp. with them?

Also, for such a pond could anyone suggest a possible management plan?

My best guess would be after several spawns thin out the fry to only 20 or so juveniles and remove the breeders every 2 years.

Last edited by Critterguy; 10/02/08 04:18 PM.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Critterguy: I have papershell crayfish in my small pond, and they seem to be doing well. Not to disruptive to vegetation, and SEEM to be prolific. I'll let you know more next year this time after I put in several pair of breeder LMB next summer.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks! I've kept clarkii before in ponds and while in low densities the damage they did was not noticeable when we added several they promptly chopped the lily pads down. Perhaps riverine crayfish like papershells(and signal crayfish?) are different in that regard.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
No thoughts on the pet catfish option?

I'll be back home this winter. I'll drain the pond, catch out the fish, probably add lime as suggested, and then hopefully get the real fish into it by spring

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I would think that pond is a little small for a catfish, plus, aren't then a no-no in CA?

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I would think that pond is a little small for a catfish, plus, aren't then a no-no in CA?

We can have Channel Cat, Blue Cat and Bullheads in California. I don't know about any other species.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Is it Washington state that can't have channel cats?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I don't know Sunil. California is so dang restrictive about other species though. Up north we can't have triploid grass carp, can't have Tilapia. I get that they don't want invasive species running amok. But jeez the Tilapia probably wouldn't live through winter here and the triploid grass carp can't reproduce. I can see requiring you to get a permit and limiting how many you can have but dang.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Critterguy,

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Golden State Bait's phone is (209)384-3474 they are nice people. I have a pond near Ave 12 & Hwy 99, just south of Madera. You can come up here and catch/net some fish and put them in your pond if would like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images