Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
It does not matter how good the pictures look it, when you install a pipe it still spells work.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
you got that right otto! my back (and wallet) is still sore this morning. but its gonna work great and last forever. in the second pic you can see a dark seam of rock in the cliff near the end of the pipe run. this seam gushes water out like an artesian well in the winter and spring so we needed to install something to handle that.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I can't wait to see your place Dave, it's looking great. You two are going to be so stoked when it's done!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I need a vote and some people to bounce an idea off of. I am wanting to build a deck or a patio. The question is would you build a deck that is made out of wood or pour a slab and place stone on top of it? I think the wood might look better but would be more maintance. The stone on concrete would not allow mice to get under it. The up front cost of the stone is more but no more bills to maintane it later.Here is where it would go in this corner.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What about pavers? Work in some of those slick, circular patterns.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I am currently finishing the building of my new residence.

We have gone with exposed aggregate for everything including patios and driveways.

This is the finish that looks like very little pebbles in mortar.

It is only slighty more than regular concrete.

It is easy on bare feet and can be done in many different colors.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
With it being YOUR money, I would say slab. You can do a stained and stamped slab, porcelein tile (Don't use ceramic outside. It is much softer.), slate, travertine, etc.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sunil, have you considered stained & stamped? Would not recommend tile outside as have to repair, regrout, etc..

These are of my back porch after 6 years.. Used the stamp & stain on the pavillion project & really do like it. There is an amazing number of different looks that you can get with it.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: david u
...Used the stamp & stain on the pavillion project & really do like it. There is an amazing number of different looks that you can get with it.

I'm gonna have to agree with this. We have stamped, stained concrete in the drive way and the court yard. You can have it stamped with any design and any color to fit your needs. They can seal it with either a glossy finish or a more flat finish. It is very durable and great looking.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Pictures please Jeff Ricki.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 10/15/08 07:16 PM. Reason: It's MRS. JHAP
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
I'll echo the stamp and stain method as being best. Tile always seem to end up being a problem outside. Cracked tiles because something heavy was dropped on it. Grout wearing out quickly. Lots of problems.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Your wife and the girls will enjoy the CABIN more without mice.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
James, I'll see if we can dig up some photos of the driveway. I'd endorse stamped concrete as well. They did a pattern and color on our driveway to emulate slate. Looks good. The only rub of it is that (here at least) you need to water seal it every couple of years to keep it looking in tip top shape. It's no big deal just buy the sealant and roller it on. Course I have't done it in 5 years so now the driveway doesn't look as good as it once did.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: otto
Your wife and the girls will enjoy the CABIN more without mice.

LOL, we have a travel trailer that we stay in when we visit our property. We've had a tough time keeping mice out of the dang thing. Everything goes into plastic containers to avoid pests, that has helped significantly, still occasionally we see evidence of a mouse. So a couple of trips ago we get to the property and open up the trailer and acorns are everywhere. In my boots, in a kleenex box, in a zip lock bag that was left on the table. It was hilarious. I'm thinking a squirrel got in the trailer and thought that he had found the perfect hiding spot for his winter stash.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Jeff we have had the same problem in our travel trailer at the farm. I have put out about ten bait boxes with bait in them around the trailer. It seems to have been working fairly well. The only gripe I have is that the bait all gets eaten every six weeks and has to be replenished at a cost of about thirty dollars worth of bait. Even so it is still better than having mice scurrying around when you are trying to sleep. When Pam and I first got married we had no money and stayed in a log cabin in Colorodo for 18 bucks a night. The first night when we turned the lights out I thought I heard a bear in our cabin. I turned on the lights to see about twenty mice getting into our food. The next day I bought about twenty mouse traps and set them in the room. As soon as the lights went out it sounded like all of the traps went off at once. I had to reset the traps a second and a third time before we quit hearing mice. It was one of my favorite trips to Colorodo but I hate mice.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We are loaded with mice. They eat the bait and I keep buying more. They also chew on tractor and 4 wheeler wires and I haven't figured out what to do about that.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Stop using Cheese-Whiz instead of Armor-All on the tires.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
That's just crazy talk Theo. Have you seen the price of Armor-All lately?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I hate mice too James. Nothing worse than to hear something scurring in the dark around INSIDE your sleeping quarters.

OK, one thing is worse. A number of years ago, while on a fishing adventure to the East Cape in Mexico we were staying in one of those fishing lodges. Lodge is an optomistic description compared to the actual facilities. Basically the rooms were hollow stone brick walls a concrete floor and four old cots and a little alcove with a toilet. Still we were stoked to be there. So in the middle of the night one of the four guys in the room decides he needs to use the facilities. It's pitch dark in the room so he grabs his flashlight and heads toward the commode. Something on the wall catches his eye and he shines his flashlight on it. He then lets out a yell and wakes the rest of us up. He turns on the "cabin" light and there on the wall is a huge, very nasty looking spider. One of us gets up to smash it and it runs like crazy under one of the guys bunks. So we turn over the bunk and of course can't find it. Two guys were so freaked out they slept outside. Personally I didn't see the logic in that. I figured if that ugly spider made his way inside our place then lord knows what it prowling around outside. So I opted to stay inside. Of course every few minutes I was convinced something was crawling across me. I decided the second night that I was not going to have a sleepless repeat of the first night so I resorted to drastic measures. Tequila. Slept like a baby. Course I woke up feeling like a baby that had been hit with a 2X4 but still I figure a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
Ahhh, the Tequila anti-spider serum. They don't teach that in the Boy Scouts.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
That's right Theo. The Boy Scouts would probably recommend that you build a cage out of twigs and spittle and use a cricket as bait. Problem is then you have this horrible spider that is really, really, angry. What if Mr. Spider gets out? He's gonna want revenge, he'll be out for blood. I say drink a few shots of tequila and pour a little on the floor for Mr. Spider. Let bygones be bygones. Unless of course spiders are angry drunks.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Due to countless PB'ers asking to see more details about my barn here are some pictures (actually maybe it was just Brettski who asked for details). Anyway, here you go....

My wife and younger daughter have horses (older daughter got smart several years ago and gave it up) and I always wanted a pond (I'd prefer a 1,000 acre lake but couldn't afford that). So, a few years ago we purchased some acreage. We plan to move there in about 2 more years. We're working on the house plans right now. Job 1 was to renovate the pond. That's done. Fish are in and growing fast. Of course, I had to have a tractor to take care of things and if you have a tractor you have to have a tractor barn, right? Oh yea, I also needed a place to store the ATV, canoe, fishing stuff, etc........

I hired an Amish barn builder to build a 24'x48' board and batten pole barn (eastern white pine). I should have done a 36'x48' barn but didn't want to spend that much. Just like any other contractor he was slow to start the project. No complaints afterwards though, he did a good job. Here are some pictures.

Poles, purlins, trusses, etc up; dormers started...

Metal roof started...

The Amish don't want their picture taken but I snuck this one in anyway....

I'm told the Amish don't want their picture taken since they believe each time they are photographed it steals a piece of their soul. It was interesting to see how the Amish worked without electricity. All of their tools were powered by a gasoline air compressor - table saws, circular saws, screw guns, nail guns. Of course they used a driver to get them to the job and tow their trailer. And, to get in touch I just called the driver's cell phone and he handed it to the Amish contractor. They do shun some modern conveniences but not all.

Aside from being functional I like the looks of a cupola. I found an Amish cupola builder to build what I wanted (right down the street from where the Nickel Mines Amish school shooting was 2 year ago). Cupola is made from PVC (no maintenance!) and has a copper roof and weathervane. I did a lot of research and trial and error to get the copper roof and weathervane to turn green. Here is the copper roof and weathervane....

2nd floor loft area...

Concrete floor poured...

Barn done, front view....

Barn done, back view....

I'll be putting some windows in the front and back but need to figure out how many and where to put them.

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited by RobA; 10/18/08 09:42 PM.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
That is an excellent barn but it is more than a barn. Was the concrete poured after the barn was built?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Yes, the barn floor and the floor under the porch overhang was poured after the construction was done.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Awesome product, RobA.
Excellent photo documentary, too....thanks!

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??