Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Dux96, cgmbny, cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus
18,520 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,998
Posts558,347
Members18,520
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,585
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,156
Who's Online Now
10 members (Theo Gallus, Mainer, BamaBass9, Brian from Texas, Shorthose, jludwig, Dave Davidson1, LANGSTER, highflyer, FishinRod), 1,035 guests, and 185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
10/4/08 SAMPLING
My pal Phil and his wife Donna are avid fisher-folk. They have not yet visited the LNP project, so I felt this gorgeous October day would be a good time to talk them into bringing down their fishing boat and gear and help me do a sampling.
We picked up a couple dozen nightcrawlers on the way and dropped his boat in at the launch around 11 a.m., bright sunny day. His wife Donna caught 2 YP on crawlers and Phil pulled in a SMB casting a jig.
-
-
Some comparative history...
-
YP May '07

-
YP Oct '08 (17 months later)

-
...and

-
-
-
SMB May '08 (about 5" long)

-
SMB Oct '08 (5 months later)

-
SMB caught on

-
-
Phil had a scale, but it wasn't much for minimum incremental accuracy. The divisions were in 1/4# increments. The YP checked at 1/4# and SMB checked at 3/4#. I wouldn't hang my hat on these figures.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
But, how did YOU do???

Just do it...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
zip

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The ole Mr. Twister beetle spin in chartreuse and or black w/ chartreuse. It will be a killer on all species. Man, those are some thick fish!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That is fantastic! Great growth on the smallies.

Way to go Brettski!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You're gonna have a smallie spawn next year I bet.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Those are really beautiful fish. Nice job.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D

one lil fishy,
two lil fishy,
three lil fishy four,
once you catch one
you gonna watch catch more.

beautiful fish b'ski.

edit.......oh yes, i almost forgot to ask........were you and yer buddy fishing blind, or did you throw around at all that beautiful structure......the trench? sunil's mound?

some more details my man...
where were they hangin out?

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 10/05/08 01:07 AM.

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great job B'ski !!!! Those are good looking fish - just like the rest of LNP - well done.

Do you still see any FH around ?

It will be babies next spring/summer. Get ready to take some spawning/yoy pics so we can join in as proud vicarious parents.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca

edit.......oh yes, i almost forgot to ask........were you and yer buddy fishing blind, or did you throw around at all that beautiful structure......the trench? sunil's mound?

some more details my man...
where were they hangin out?

...glad ya asked, Dave
-
His boat is a nice little package. We tooled around with the trolling motor; no petrol intervention.

He has 2 separate depth finders/transponders; one fore, one aft. As we slowly moved about, I sat aft and was able to watch both screens and see the changes as they occurred from 2 different points of measure. It was very rewarding to watch the subtle and significant changes as a result of our attention to bottomscaping when we excavated. This reward goes directly back to the PB forum for guidance during construction. My pal, Phil, does a fair amount of fishing in the nort' woods of Minnesota + other various midwest locations. He was VERY impressed by the constantly changing depths, ditches, mounds, and holes. He often referred to marking fish with the depth finder. After showing me what to look for, I will agree.
-

-
Although we marked fish in numerous places, he kept coming back to the monster holes in the foreground of the above pic as holding the highest inventory. The pond is down about 18"; the deepest depth reading we got was 16'. When we built it, the laser-shot elevations peg the monster holes at 18' - 20', so we were pretty close to hovering over the deepest points. We worked them with no results.
-
Now...let's talk PVC trees.
Phil is sold. This is where the action was. I can already foresee him loading up his boat with PVC pipe on his next run up to Minny.
All 3 fish were caught within the PVC reef (the line of 6 PVC trees, flanked by a tire pyramid at each end).

-
Phil did most of the casting. He noted hits fairly often and became very focused on pulling the lure thru the reef. Both YP were caught directly adjacent to a PVC tree there, also.
-
Dski and I did nothing more than to re-acquaint ourselves by fishing with worm and bobber. Neither of us got action, but that's OK. The fact that we picked up and used open face reel equipment after so many years was documented as a successful day for us. Dski picked up handling the reel and bail thing v quickly. \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest

Do you still see any FH around ?

It will be babies next spring/summer. Get ready to take some spawning/yoy pics so we can join in as proud vicarious parents.

Yep, FH are still happening (or maybe we're seeing offspring of the 20# of G shiners stocked 5 months ago...?). We see small packs (all the way down to fry-size) all the time.
We have also seen substantial packs of YOY YP.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Great, great, great results.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Me too Sunil. Great post Brettski. Interesting observations about your various types of structure and cover. Between your PVC reef and the the Porquipine Fish Attractor video that Nate posted it seems like that type of structure is great to add to a pond.

Keep fishing Brettski. The first time you hook and land one of your own fish you'll be amazed at how rewarding it is.

Good stuff.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
FANTASTIC!!!

Great to see the YP have already spawned.

Fishing will be much, much better once the pond has filled up with offspring SMB/YP/RES. Right now, you've got slim pickings, just the original stockers. Imagine 10 to 100 times as many fish to catch - that's how the action will be a 1-2 years.

BTW GREAT looking Perch and Smallie.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thank you, gents. I really enjoy taking you guys there with me, if only as a cyber-visit. It's been a collective mind operation, implemented thru my back and credit line. D-ski's also. I really hope that Cody will be able to download this page (potential difficulty = pics divided by dial-up). His thought process and endless giving of time and guidance was a leader on this project.
-
Phil and Donna were simply amazed at how "clean and healthy" the specimens were. When I told him that I was counting on them to help me "manage the pond" by fishing it, I could see the wheels turning.
-
I wonder what these same fish will look like next year?
-
...JHAP notes
 Quote:
Between your PVC reef and the the Porquipine Fish Attractor video that Nate posted it seems like that type of structure is great to add to a pond.

Absolutely affirmative, Jeff. Our clarity continues to be good; about 3 feet. Remembering that the pond is down by about 18" right now, the tops of the PVC trees were still about 12" - 18" below the surface and easily seen, even from 8-10 feet away. Even the tops of the black tires could be seen when up close, appearing as a dark shadow of their outline under the surface. Cool!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Conratulations, BSki! It sure is rewarding to finally see the fruits of your labor. If you get a chance, try to fish with a golden shiner instead of a nightcrawler, with your rig. I've been having excellent luck, out my way ,with that set up in the last couple of weeks. If you can cast net them out your pond, then you don't have to worry about introducing any unwanted species (which may happen if bought from a bait shop). If you try fishing with minnows, just make sure you are using circle hooks. I made the mistake yesterday of using a straight shank worm hook with a shiner, and ended up having a SMB mort due to a swallowed hook . It was a very sad day for me.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...btw, there is a dark cloud on this sampling procedure.
The first YP inhaled the hook and worm. Even tho the barb was crushed and Phil has good experience with removal, it was buried. He asked me if I wanted to cut the hook and leave it or try for a v low percentage of survival. I told him to pull it out. Floater. The silver lining is that both Dski and I needed to have this happen to bolster the deliniation between sport/food and pets. I think I felt worse knowing what I put into getting it to that point, as opposed to killing a pet. We're good with it, particularly knowing it will provide another link in the food cycle. Yeah, I know...kinda dopey, but it's just the way it is.
-
Would it have been better, in the big picture, to have cut the hook and let it go?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
It could have gone either way, Bski.

I am always pulling some fish out to eat; conversely, there are some that I want to see get as big as possible. Unless a foul-hooked fish that might have a chance is in the latter category, I go ahead and pull it out.

If there is a lot of bleeding, especially from the gills, the fish is a goner and might as well come out.

You will get experience watching "probably not gonna make its" that you release float up afterwards, and maybe even get to see some ones you cut the line on and released with the hook still in get recaught later and be AOK (I have had this happen 2-3 times). It gives you a better feel for which way to go in these situations.

BTW, that's really good growth on the new fish - I just had to say it (again).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That happens regularly to us at my Dad's pond.

YP are probably quicker to swallow the hook than any other fish I'm aware of.

My Dad and I think YP is the best eating of all, so we keep a five gallon bucket handy. If we take out a hook on a questionable fish he goes in the bucket. You'll know generally in 15 minutes if the fish has any chance of survival, i.e., he's still swimming in the bucket.

YP tolerate low O2 extremely well, in particular if the water isn't too hot, so if a "to be released" fish spends some time in a five gallon bucket with two gallons of water they're not the worse for wear.

It they start floating or struggling, it's straight to the frying pan.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bski - I saw the before and after photos, your stocking and pond experiences show what can be done in growing YP and SMB when it is done correctly. Good job.

As far as sampling goes, I have found that if swallowing the hook is a problem one can switch to a larger hook No 4 or even a No 2 or switch to minnows for bait for YP and SMB. However the larger hooks do bias the catch results toward larger fish if records are being kept. When these fish (YP-SMB) take a minnow there is a little more handling time involved before swallowing compared to worms. I caught 11 perch yesterday for removal and transfer using minnows under a bobber - none swallowed the hook.

Since you under stocked the pond regarding numbers, catching will improve greatly in a couple years as the new recruits grow to fill the carrying capacity of the new pond. New recruits should also grow well since lots of forage items are present. Once carrying capacity is reached expect growth rates to be somewhat reduced due to a limiting or availability of forage foods.

Again good job, your pond seems to be doing well so far. Did you get a chance to set a fish trap while at the pond?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/05/08 02:05 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Again good job, your pond seems to be doing well so far. Did you get a chance to set a fish trap while at the pond?

Thank you, Maestro Cody (Sunil; if you please). Any successes achieved are the results of heeding the guidance of my teachers.
-
I did not throw out the minnow trap this time. The events of the day were timed tight and designed to provide other entertainment functions. The trap will see action during another near-future day trip to LNP.
-
A little side note, speaking of entertainment. As we broke for a late lunch at the picnic table inside the screen tent in the woods at pond-side, we watched a half dozen wild turkeys work across the building pad, foraging thru the grasses. A nice natural bonus for the day.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have read most of the posts on your pond journey Brettski, this is my favorite update. Congrats on your success and I hope the future holds even more of it for you, very nice lake and very nice fish. This is the kind of stuff that keeps the rest of us motivated. Thanks for the pictures.

Joe

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
The silver lining is that both Dski and I needed to have this happen to bolster the deliniation between sport/food and pets. I think I felt worse knowing what I put into getting it to that point, as opposed to killing a pet. We're good with it, particularly knowing it will provide another link in the food cycle. Yeah, I know...kinda dopey, but it's just the way it is.

I think more people feel this way than will admit to it Brettski. I know JWHAP and I sure do. (pssst don't tell anyone but so does DIED). To this day everything that I have caught on my pond I have released. Next year we will begin culling fish and part of me does not look forward to it. We found a large bullhead floating in our pond this past year and were kinda bummed. It's all part of the cycle of owning a pond. JWHAP was fairly opposed to culling fish until we went to the Pond Boss Conference and she learned the benefit and necessity of fish culling. She freely admits that this was a huge benefit of attending the conference.

Congratulations on the experience. It sounds like you had a great day on your property.

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 10/06/08 10:01 AM. Reason: Spelled JWHAP wrong twice in the same paragraph, sheesh.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The next additions should be HSB and Walleye.

They will coexist very nicely with everything you've got going on right now.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Bump - great thread to review. BTW B'ski its time to get ready to get us some pics of those SMB spawning.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tacoma Bob
Recent Posts
Tilapia with Winterkill
by Theo Gallus - 05/09/24 12:16 PM
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by jludwig - 05/09/24 11:31 AM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/09/24 11:17 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Mainer - 05/09/24 11:10 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/09/24 10:25 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification