Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#132477 09/14/08 08:56 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
(if this is just too far out, the Mod's can nix it)
-
Based on some of the posts and threads I have seen in the past, I am pretty comfortable that there are some NASCAR fans out there. Way before NASCAR hit the big time, I was deeply immersed in open wheel racing. There was some stock car, SCCA, and drag racing stints in there, too...but mostly Indy car.
-
I started attending car races when I was in high school. I made my first trip to Indy when I was 16 and I was hooked.
As I have done for my entire life, I took alot of amateur pix (witness my selfish hogging of bandwidth on the PB forum). I've been kinda bored this weekend, what with all the rain killing any outdoor activities, so I grabbed one of my photo albums.
-
I attended alot of car races back then. It was a much different atmosphere. You could buy a pit pass for $15 and walk right up to the cars, mechanics, and drivers like it was your next door neighbor.
See how many of these famous subjects from years past that you can identify.
-
-
-
-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Brettski, this is totally unacceptable.

#2 Evil
#6 Mario

Those are the only ones I know.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

Based on some of the posts and threads I have seen in the past, I am pretty comfortable that there are some NASCAR fans out there.

That's racist!!

All kidding aside, I'm stumped. I did get a kick out of the pics, though.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
#1 Ron Jeremy and friend
#6 Mario
#7 Hershall Walker
#9 Sylvester Stallone
#12 CB1

Just do it...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
#1 is John Oates and Molly Ringwald.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
#2 Paul Newman
#7 Road America
#8 Emmerson Fittipaldi
#9 Danny Sullivan
#11 A.J. Foyt
#12 Michael Andretti

I subscribe!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The real question is: Is that Brettski in #10?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
It was a much different atmosphere. You could buy a pit pass for $15 and walk right up to the cars, mechanics, and drivers like it was your next door neighbor.

Yep times sure have changed. Try to get next to any pit in open wheel or Nascar racing today. Up until a couple of years ago (before the change in the point system) I was an NHRA fan. You can still walk right up to the pits there without any pit pass.

I really miss the old Transam racing. That was fun to watch.

The only photo that I can identify is #3. I fairly certain that photo is of a young Bski stealing a scooter and a racing suit.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I have been to 2 Nascar races and 2 NHRA races. At one of the NHRA races I got a broken piston. You can look right into the trailers and watch the guys work. It is amazing to be down at track level when the Top fuel dragsters go down the track because everything shakes as well as the air.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I love to watch the unwary passer-by fans at NHRA pit tent areas when the mechanics fire up a top fuel dragster or a funny car.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I love to watch the unwary passer-by fans at NHRA pit tent areas when the mechanics fire up a top fuel dragster or a funny car.

Ahhh -- the smell of nitro in the air. Did JHAP ever tell you we spent our Honeymoon at the NHRA races in Vegas?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Nope didn't tell that story.

Dang, car parts for her birthday, drag racing for our anniversary. Am I a romantic or what?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
The real question is: Is that Brettski in #10?

Well...the dude is wearing short shorts, so that raises the probability tremendously.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
David, I was going to say that the guy looks a little too heavy for
Bretski, but then I noticed the fierce game of "pocket-pool" and, well, you might just be right.....

Just do it...
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
David, I was going to say that the guy looks a little too heavy for
Bretski, but then I noticed the fierce game of "pocket-pool" and, well, you might just be right.....

Brutal, just brutal man, bad enough the guy is wearing those shorts, then you gotta hack on him like that, heh heh.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
See, I know some more about Brettski's musical tastes, so if that pic was from the late '80s, then there is no question.

You guys are also assuming that the clothing of said suspect would place the pic from the early '80s, but Brettski likes to really make sure a fashion trend is dead before he let's go.
(kidding Mabro, just kidding!)

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Oh the humanity....I hope you still don't own those shorts Brettski, I could see them making a comeback a Pondboss conference sometime....

Lunker
Lunker
Sorry to get in on this late.

1. Hall & Oates. I always thought the blond guy looked kind of effeminate, but, jeez.

2. Paul Newman

3. Young Little Al

4. Tom Sneva

5. Jerry Mathers

6. Mario & Luigia

7. Can-Am racing?

8. Emerson Fittipaldi

9. Bruce Condello in his long-haired racing period

10. Little Jimmy Dickens

11. A.J. Rutherfoyt

12. Some Young Andretti. How am I supposed to tell them apart - they all look alike.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 09/16/08 08:07 AM. Reason: #7

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
See, I know some more about Brettski's musical tastes, so if that pic was from the late '80s, then there is no question.

You guys are also assuming that the clothing of said suspect would place the pic from the early '80s, but Brettski likes to really make sure a fashion trend is dead before he let's go.

Sunil, those flared bell bottoms of his could come back any day now, and you know it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
Lunker
Bski! Who's who?

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
They're already back.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Bski! Who's who?

I wanted to give it a day to simmer...and....how could we possibly grade a quiz on the PB curve without Theo's test results?
-
All the pics are from the greatest road racing course in the U.S., Road America in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin.
-
#1 John Oates. He raced SCCA (sports car club of America) and had a car/pit that weekend. More pics tonite. I cannot confirm nor deny the Molly Ringwald allegation....leaning toward denial.
-
#2 Paul Newman. I don't recall is this was during his Newman-Haas racing era. I lose track.
-
#3 Al Unser Jr. 2 time Indy winner. During his formative years, before drinking and spousal abuse.
-
#4 Tom Sneva. 1 time Indy winner. Tom was always one of my favorite drivers. His performances during the Indy time trials were always a must-see. We would always sit in the stands at the top of turn 4. His standard racing line ALWAYS took him out the the north short chute (between 3 and 4) and up to 1" off of the wall at the exit end of turn 4. You could count on it. I sat up there in 1977 and watched him break the 200 mph lap avg for the first time in Indy history. I watched him do it again in 1984 when he crushed 210.
-
#5 Lone Star JR (Johnny Rutherford). 3 time Indy winner.
-
#6 Mario Andretti. 1 time Indy winner
-
#7 Sweetness (#34, Walter Payton).
-
#8 Emerson Fittipaldi. 2 time Indy winner.
-
#9 Danny Sullivan. 1 time Indy winner. I have attended 4 of the actual Indy 500 races. 1985 was one of those races. We had seats directly across from the pits on the front stretch, in the lower boxes; pretty darned cool. This was the infamous "spin and win" race. Sullivan passed Mario right in front of us and the crowd was deafening. We completely missed the spin portion of the act, learning about it a couple laps later over the P.A. Sullivan making history
-
#10 President and CEO of Jiffy Mix, Howdy Holmes. The guy shaking his hand is thanking him for creating the cornbread mix. I was about 20# overweight and used the leftover vegetable oil to slip into my favorite shorts. If you are interested, I have some similar photos in my speedo.
-
#11 AJ Foyt. He is really something. We would always go to time trials. It was $5 for the day and you could go wherever you wanted, including down to the pit wall. It was normal for AJ to go out and do a few laps, then come into his pit, jump out of the car (in his driver's garb), throw down his helmet, yell at all the mechanics, push them out of the way, grab the wrenches, pull off the cowling, and start tinkering with the engine while he's b**ching.
-
#12 Michael Andretti

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: rockytopper

I could be mistaken but that looks an awful lot like your driveway entrance at the beginning.Also,Ive never seen C-clamps on fenders at the races before.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Lunker
Lunker

#10 President and CEO of Jiffy Mix, Howdy Holmes. The guy shaking his hand is thanking him for creating the cornbread mix. I was about 20# overweight and used the leftover vegetable oil to slip into my favorite shorts. If you are interested, I have some similar photos in my speedo.

I honestly don't know which is more distasteful, the photo or the description.

-S. M. Stirling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??