Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,133
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne), 945 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
We've talked alot about location, I like ohio, but time of year is more important to me. Too much going on in summer, march, or april seem better.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Unfortunately, the best time to have the conference will be different for everyone and some folks just won’t be able to make it. March and April is a terrible time for me because I shock lakes 4 if not 5 days a week during those months.

You can't judge a fish by looking at the pond--Bo Diddley
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Everybody has good points, but really, there is no way to satisfy everyone.

One thing is important for sure though and that is advanced notice. With as much notice as can be given, it allows those with less flexibility in their schedules. With more notice, the appropriate business trip can be scheduled, and more importantly, potential schedule conflicts can be planned for.

Bruce, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Assuming a fly in Thursday and fly out on Sunday, what is different for you between Dallas and New Orleans? What's to justify?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Everybody has good points, but really, there is no way to satisfy everyone.

One thing is important for sure though and that is advanced notice. With as much notice as can be given, it allows those with less flexibility in their schedules. With more notice, the appropriate business trip can be scheduled, and more importantly, potential schedule conflicts can be planned for.

Bruce, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Assuming a fly in Thursday and fly out on Sunday, what is different for you between Dallas and New Orleans? What's to justify?

I've used up my good will.

When Marlene and I try to budget things throughout the year, it's hard to make a yearly Pond Boss trek without her look good when she didn't get any vacation at all. And the kids are still too young for us to leave them alone.

I'm just saying that I may have to take a year off at some point.

Last edited by Bruce Condello; 08/28/08 08:00 PM.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I hear you; the Mexico trip might have used up some good will also, no?

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You got that right. ;\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bruce is a very lucky man. He operates with a good-will tank the size of an Expedition gas tank.
...me too.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Bruce is a very lucky man. He operates with a good-will tank the size of an Expedition gas tank.
...me too.

And I thank God for that every day.

Lunker
Lunker
as you should,Bruce....as you should....

Arlington is fine with me. it cost me a good 8 dollars in gas all weekend. 10 dollar if you include BBQ.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hey Fatty...
If it was in Chicago next year, would you be able to make it?

Lunker
Lunker
perhaps.
I would have to bring bail money.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
Arlington is fine with me. it cost me a good 8 dollars in gas all weekend. 10 dollar if you include BBQ.

$100, if you follow Howard to the BBQ.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
per Bruce Condello: "The chances of me justifying a trip to New Orleans next year are slim and none".

Ouch, a conference without Bruce. That might be enough to kill the New Orleans idea completely.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: george1
My impressions of the past two conferences is that the highest value is to the folks that make their living in pond/fishery business, and expenses would be tax deductible…JHAP?

Sorry George I was asleep on the job. You bet expenses are tax deductible for folks in the industry and I'm sure each and every one of them writes off all of the costs. I sure in the heck would. I need to somehow get into the industry so that I can write the trips off.

I think the real issue though is amongst folks not in the industry and therefore not able to deduct the conference cost or the related travel. That and taking vacation time to actually go to the conference is an issue for most folks.

I really, really, like Arlington but if the truth be known I'd probably go to what ever city the conference is held in. I would have to fly in to every city suggested previously so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me. It is just that with the shuttles and the conference center located withing walking distance I didn't spend one dime on taxi's or other ground transportation and that can add up in other cities I've been to. The last time I was in New Orleans (OK the ONLY time I was in New Orleans) I didn't care for it at all but that is of course a personal opinion.

My main criteria is DON'T MAKE THE CONFERENCE DURING TAX SEASON (FEBRUARY 01 THROUGH APRIL 15). Any other time of the year I can juggle my schedule around to go. If it is during tax season then I cannot attend - period. I couldn't go to the first conference because it was held during tax season. The second conference was not so I went. If the next conference is not held during tax season then I'll go. But I'm just one guy with a pond (hence the screen name).

Oh and don't worry FMB, I ALWAYS carry bail money, so does JWHAP and I'll bet Brettski does to. Chances are if you get arrested then Brettski and I probably would be transported in the same paddy wagon as you. We would just have to make sure that JWHAP has enough bail money for all three of us.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Every time of the year may be a bad time for someone, for some good reasons. It probably would best if the date of the conference varied somewhat in the future, to give different people a chance to attend.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I am trying to establish a new bait cutting business, thus all expenses will be deducted, even the 3 nights at the Courtyard courtesy of Marriott Rewards. After all, it took a lot of paid nights to earn the rewards. Take that you undercover IRS agents!

D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
I for one would love to see it in St. Louis only because it is convenient for me. Considering it has been 10 years since I have taken a real vacation (my honeymoon) I didn't want to drop it on the Mrs. that I was going to go to Texas for a pond seminar.

I would assume the largest number of mag subscribers are in Texas and therefore it was natural to have the conference within easy travel distance for the greatest number of subscribers. If the conference moves to a new place are there enough members/subscribers in that particular area who will attend to make it profitable along with those who are willing to travel? Does it need a large number of non members/subscribers to attend and how will you get the word out? What areas of the country have the most people willing to spend $$$ on pond management seminars? These are things that Bob will have to consider when choosing a new location. I would hate to see a conference be a financial disaster because the location just couldn't support it.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Post by Bruce:
 Quote:
When Marlene and I try to budget things throughout the year, it's hard to make a yearly Pond Boss trek without her look good when she didn't get any vacation at all. And the kids are still too young for us to leave them alone.

Bring the little ones & the wife Bruce. I'm sure several of us are qualified & would be honored to take turns babysitting while you & the miss's enjoyed the sites! We could work it out!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The real question is where and when it will get the most support/attendance. Moving it around is a good idea IF a selected location will be supported economically.

What I don't know is the % of attendees that were local to D/FW and what kind of local support could be reasonably expected elsewhere.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
My best guess without looking back at the data is 60% local 40% not local excluding the vendors. Dave I can't get anyone to even guess at local #s at these locations.

1. New Orleans
2. Arlington TX
3. Atlanta
4. St. Louis
5. Columbus OH
6. Chicago

I believe the best option is regional meetings until fall 09. On the other hand if Bob says we don't have to worry about $ or #s then we are off to the races. However no one wants to give a parry and have no one come.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I don't know if Luskie has already picked New Orleans or not.

Considering all factors, the greatest chance for success (monetarily) is Arlington without question.

Like some others said, it does not matter to me where it is as I'd most likely have to fly in anyway.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is another way to look at the question. If 60% in Arlington are local and thus have no/minimal travel or hotel cost (big factor on attendance) , then what happens to attendance if 100% have to fly/drive and get a hotel (as in N.O.) ?

On both the cost and attendance factors it will be hard to overcome the loss of most of the DFW locals ( my estimate 125 people) and replace them with 15 or so N.O. locals. My guess for discussion purposes is a N.O. PB convention if marketed as in the past will have about 75-100 attendees. If it can be marketed so that we get 100 N.O. attendees its a different story.

That does not factor in the higher cost in N.O. for attendees , vendors and PB staff.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Every time of the year may be a bad time for someone, for some good reasons. It probably would best if the date of the conference varied somewhat in the future, to give different people a chance to attend.

True enough. But if the conference is just not scheduled during one 74 day period from Feb 1 through April 15 then I, me, it's always about me, will go (as will JWHAP) so that's two people right there. Plus that still gives you 79.73% of the year to schedule the conference. January is fine, fall is fine, summer is okey dokey. Just not during tax season. That's all I'm asking.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Good points Ewest. It would be interesting to see some statistics regard attendence. What percentage of attendees were from Texas? What percentage of vendors were from Texas? My guess is if the Texas crowd didn't travel to another city then the conference would be a financial disaster, and even more so if you factor in the fact that Bob would have to fly himself, wife and staff to another city (versus driving). Course given the size of the truck that Bob has it might be cheaper to fly, dang did you see the bumper on that truck, it could take out a Wildebeest or a small Hippopotamus. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
How about some input. You guys give me your best thoughtful guess ( as accurate as possible)as to how many attendees we can count on at the following locations. Feel free to explain your thoughts.

1. New Orleans

Never been there. Would be interesting to see. Not sure how many new subscribers you'd pick up though.

2. Arlington TX

Been there done that. Time to relocate. I know some of you that live in the area want it there again, but it's time to think of picking up some new magazine's subscribers by more exposure, and not just yourselves.

3. Atlanta

A plus. Still in the south but in a different region. If there are a lot of ponds in Georgia (which I'm sure there are) this would be a good southern location if one wants to stay south.

4. St. Louis

I like this one because it potentially brings in lots of new folks. The diehards will show up wherever you go. I do know there are a lot of ponds in Missouri and its a crossroads area of the country and could tap into neighboring states.

5. Columbus OH

Beaucoup ponds in Ohio! Possibly more than any other state!

6. Chicago

Lots of ponds in Illinois, Wisconisn, and Indiana and Chicago would definitely have the facilities. Not sure if we'd want to go this far north though just yet. Sorry Brettski!
[/quote]

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/30/08 09:26 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday