Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...the weekend directly after M-G

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I've always wanted to go to NO..& I know the wife would!
I vote N.O!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I wonder if any location stuck out with our surveys we sent in?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
We are still getting those surveys. I'll compile them over the next week and let everyone know.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
(finger crossed)
"Granville, Ohio! Granville, Ohio! Granville, Ohio!"

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Do we have any possible dates? It really doesn't matter, I'm in.

Just do it...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
My vote is for New Orleans. Never been, always wanted to.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
We are still getting those surveys. I'll compile them over the next week and let everyone know.

WAIT, don't start the talling, mine is going in TODAY'S mail.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Mine too.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I know a lot of us PB forum floks would go to NO. It is closer for me . Honestly though , how many local folks can we expect? I am not sure if we have a single NO forum member. We do have some S. La members but not many. Thoughts?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I thought it would be a good idea to hit a different area of the U.S. every year. Southeast one year, Mid-West the following year, etc………….

You can't judge a fish by looking at the pond--Bo Diddley
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
I know a lot of us PB forum floks would go to NO. It is closer for me . Honestly though , how many local folks can we expect? I am not sure if we have a single NO forum member. We do have some S. La members but not many. Thoughts?

I still say we go north a little -- say St. Louis -- to dip into new potential subscribers etc., but I could live with New Orleans. I guess I'm afraid of this magazine looking like it's stuck in a southern rut when there is so much potential to expand to other parts of the country.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. ;\)

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: mmorgan
I thought it would be a good idea to hit a different area of the U.S. every year. Southeast one year, Mid-West the following year, etc………….

Great minds think alike!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/27/08 06:18 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: mmorgan

Great idea -- and an idea I've certainly lobbied for.

My wife and both I get to take quite a few days off from work each year, but never more than five in a row -- including weekends. We've also got a lot of critters that need daily tending.

For much of the last 30-some years, we've really enjoyed various three and four day vacations. In the ten-or-so years since the kids left the nest, we've really enjoyed attending various 2-3 day conferences all around the country.

I'm all for regional informal gatherings where most attendees would not have to drive more than 3-5 hours. These could be in church basements or VFW halls.

I'm also for national conferences in interesting places that we would not otherwise ever have reason to visit. They just need to have reasonably decent in/out transportation, reasonable accommodations, good restaurants or other good food services, and tolerable meeting facilities. It could be a resort in the middle of the nowhere with cabins, a small cruise ship that could be all ours, or a really interesting metropolitan area with affordable services. (In my survey, I listed a number of possible places -- I hope many others did the same.)

New Orleans sounds pretty darn good right now -- as long as it isn't during hurricane season. Late winter or early spring would be fantastic.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
(finger crossed)
"Granville, Ohio! Granville, Ohio! Granville, Ohio!"

This is the only location Theo can attend next year, what with all the hay baling or whatever fishlady can think up for him to do whenever it is held.

If it could be accomplished, by the PB staff, I would love to see some exhibitors and speakers referring to other scenarios, species, etc. than our limited options in the south. I really enjoyed the presentation by the lady from SDSU. If it were held in say, Indiana, Cecil could furnish and cook some awesome trout recipes I bet.

Last edited by burgermeister; 08/27/08 08:30 PM.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
It is fun and exciting to travel to new places to attend conferences. I like the idea of having it bounce around; however, Lusk will have to put even more work into the scheduling/organizing to make this happen. I hope we are not creating a logistical/financial nightmare for him. It would be interesting to see what percentage of attendees were from Texas. It would be really great to see what the average distance travelled was. How many attendees were drawn in from local advertising vs. PondBoss subscribers? I would suggest that if a large percentage of attendees were subscribers from out of state, then it will make no difference where it's held. If this is not the case, then Lusk will be taking a huge risk. He's got a good grasp on things so it will be interesting to see what he decides. In the short-term, I think New Orleans will be great. I would love to get a chopper and cruise into N.O. just like Fonda and Hopper.

Probably of more interest to me is the timing rather than the location. I'm probably a minority in this regard, though. It's tough for me to break away during the summer months. Since I'm in the pond business with a Midwest location, I have a much shorter window to manage ponds than my Southern colleagues. It's the whole winter-ice thing that makes business slow for a good portion of my year.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Shawn Banks
It is fun and exciting to travel to new places to attend conferences. I like the idea of having it bounce around; however, Lusk will have to put even more work into the scheduling/organizing to make this happen. I hope we are not creating a logistical/financial nightmare for him.

This is where delegating things to others comes in. I would hope Bob does not do everything because if he is, he is burning a candle at both ends. As Pond Boss grows it would be harder and harder to organize everything by one's self.

I have known people in organizations that organized the whole ball of wax -- and although they did an outstanding job -- they also burned out quickly. One of them ended up with serious health problems from the stress. I would suggest an on site chairman for a remote location, which would be someone he can trust to get the job done.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I agree with Shawn, timing should definitely be considered. Location is not a problem and I think it would help the cause greatly if it was held at a different location every year.

You can't judge a fish by looking at the pond--Bo Diddley
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
How about some input. You guys give me your best thoughtful guess ( as accurate as possible)as to how many attendees we can count on at the following locations. Feel free to explain your thoughts.

1. New Orleans
2. Arlington TX
3. Atlanta
4. St. Louis
5. Columbus OH
6. Chicago

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Hot-lanta would be a nice location because of the new state-of- the-art fish aquarium. What could be more exciting for a bunch of pond nuts then to see species of fish from around the world as an added attraction? Plus, there is a major airport. Chicago has the Shedd aquarium and a major airport, too.

I'm game for any location, but would prefer Jan-Mar.

By the way, if you like the aquarium idea, then Chattanooga would also be a good choice. I attended an AFS southern division meeting there about ten years ago, and it was very cool.

-----------------
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would show up to any of the locations.

Peoria, IL would be fine too! I have access to accommodations for over 250 people plus there are lots of hotels around as well.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Allow me to offer a different perspective...
PB Conference attendance decisions are based on cash. I have a decent job, but I also have 2 mortgages to cover a principal home and a pondsite. Attending the PB conference in TX this year was not a necessity. It was a luxury.
I timed it to coincide with a sales trip to work the Texas territory. I used this "scheduling" to cover some substantial expenses. Without that sales trip, I would not have attended.
I'm gonna bet that out of the 4000-some forum members, there is a large number that have a similar necessity-luxury decision to make. When you calculate airfare (or $4 per gal for gas in the car), lodging, food, conference ticket cost, and misc expenses, the lumps sum starts to look like a mortgage payment for many of us.
Next, taking the time off. For me, it was vacation time that I earned. I'm a middle aged fart with 4 weeks paid vacation, so a couple of days is no hit for me. The guy that only gets 2 weeks might think differently...plus....he has to explain to the kids and wife why they cannot take 2 full weeks like last summer...plus...he has to cash in a mortgage payment for Dad's luxury trip (see paragraph above).
Is my glass half empty? Sure sounds like it, don't it? Am I alone?...well, am I?
So, part of brainstorming is pointing out the faults. Another part is bringing something to potentially mitigate the fault. My thought is simple. Is it possible that if a conference was held at a destination that offered immediate access to the family fun functions that real family vacations are built around, would it open the door for others to coincide like I did with my business trip? Yeah, Arlington Tx has a bunch of stuff like that, but sorry....I don't see Apple Vacations listing Arlington as a family vacation destination. I'm talking resort type areas and family get-away destinations.
-
...or not.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've got to agree with all of Brettski's points. I really don't have any entire weeks off during the entire year. Even my annual family vacation was put aside this year because of time conflicts with kids' practices, etc. The chances of me justifying a trip to New Orleans next year are slim and none.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: george1
Notify Email Post

#125528 - 18 July, 2008 07:51 Re: Conference, from my eyes..... [Re: Bob Lusk]
. Bob Lusk .I swear this meeting was another family reunion of many people who have never met face to face...I plan to write a letter to everyone, thanking them for attending. Plus, we'll include a survey to gain some input.
We need to decide when and where to have the next one. Ray Scott wants us to go to New Orleans. Others want us to go north, maybe to Columbus, Ohio. We've had others ask us to come to Charlotte, NC. So, we'll see.............................................
Thanks for your friendship and loyalty to me and our favorite pond magazine.Fish on!Bob Lusk

For obvious reasons my FIRST choice is Arlington – if it ain’t broke – don’t fix it.

I stand on my first choice that started this thread.

My impressions of the past two conferences is that the highest value is to the folks that make their living in pond/fishery business, and expenses would be tax deductible…JHAP?

For others that can take a few days vacation for a fun event is money worthwhile, but for others most everything presented at the conferences is available in forum archives or PB magazine?

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Good points & ideas. I couldn't make it this year for numerous reasons. I have attended lots of professional conferences, and for its worth, the ones that are held every other year are usually better (longer time to assimilate new info & results, don't get burned-out, more likely to not miss it since it won't come around for another 2 years, easier on the bank account, etc). I figured I throw that in since it is a brainstorming session.

-----------------
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday