Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
This boat has everything you need and more!

Waterquest Bass Hound

I hope I haven't made anyone too jealous. ;\)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Store it under some cover. UV rays eat all plastics. Been there, done that and have a cap and a shirt with the patches.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
That looks like a great pond boat GW. There is another brand of boat that is similar to that (forget the name, I even researched it once, dang I think I have "early alzheimers" setting in, I seem to be forgetting everything lately, any way back to the discussion regarding global warming) but the "other" brand was not layed out nearly as well as that one.

I use a kayak for fishing (which I really like) and I have a 14' Gregor for pond maintenance. My wife hates the Gregor because it will really roll side to side with minimal weight transfer. I keep looking for an alternative. Please post your reviews of the boat after you have had a chance to use it. I'm specifically interested in stability.

Hopefully I'll remember to check back on this thread to read your comments but I can't guarantee anything.

And yes you made me jealous, thanks, thanks a lot.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Great looking boat.

You have the world at your fingertips
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by jeffhasapond:
That looks like a great pond boat GW. There is another brand of boat that is similar to that (forget the name, I even researched it once, dang I think I have "early alzheimers" setting in, I seem to be forgetting everything lately, any way back to the discussion regarding global warming) but the "other" brand was not layed out nearly as well as that one.

I use a kayak for fishing (which I really like) and I have a 14' Gregor for pond maintenance. My wife hates the Gregor because it will really roll side to side with minimal weight transfer. I keep looking for an alternative. Please post your reviews of the boat after you have had a chance to use it. I'm specifically interested in stability.

Hopefully I'll remember to check back on this thread to read your comments but I can't guarantee anything.

And yes you made me jealous, thanks, thanks a lot.
Jeff, Hubby and I have a boat very much like this one, I love it. We have used it for 14 years and I have yet to tip over in it. It is very stable and I don't like deep water that well, so I wouldn't get in a boat that would tip. Canoe's, Forget it! No Way. I have seen guys fishing in one like this and they had it almost sitting on its edge and just fishing away, they looked comfy, but I don't think I would try it. :p

Chris
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I took the boat out the other day on my neighbor's pond. It's a very stable boat for sure and it's comfortable too. My 30lb trolling motor didn't move it all that well, but fine for a pond. I suppose that's a tradeoff for the stability. I'm having my 5 hp - 2 stroke outboard serviced and when it's ready I'll see what it'll do.

I'm curious what you all think about my motor. It's a 2002 Suzuki and the oil/gas ratio is 1/100. Do you think it would contribute much to pollution?

J
J
GW,

2 strokes are definitely in the dog house these days. Along with the obvious burnt oil, they also leak unburnt fuel/oil out the exhaust port with each stroke. Some newer 2 strokes have made great strides in minimizing leaked fuel by using more precise injection and/or catalytic mufflers. This coupled with their superior mileage means the pollution is about the same as 4 strokes. I am not sure if your Suzuki uses any of these pollution reduction techniques or not.

Jay

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
GW, I have that one and love it. I have my old 7.5 Johnson on the back and it goes wherever I want it to. I have state of the art sonar and a trolling motor as well.

I got mine at SAMS Club about 4 years ago. Great boat and easy to get around in on either small waters or even larger ones. (Sad but true, I had mine out about 2 miles into Lake Ontario a few times)

Enjoy it they are great fun.

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I took my boat out on Mr. H's pond with my brother-in-law a few times fishing. In two days we spent about 12 hours total and we were very comfortable. I really like seats with backs and padding is even better. This boat is designed so each person has plenty of room within a 270 degree radius. The stability is amazing for such a small boat. We never really even thought about balancing the boat once we were on the water.

I'm pretty small but I have no problem getting it in and out of my truck if the boat is basically empty. I take the battery out and remove the trolling motor before loading it.

In my previous post I commented about the trolling motor not moving the boat well, but I was wrong. I hadn't used that battery in a long time and it never did get to a full charge. This last time I used a newer battery and moved right along with 2 people and gear.

I looked around for similar boats before buying this one but oddly enough I didn't find any competition. Did I just miss it? Congratulations to Johnson Outdoors for this great design.

Edit: Here's some other similar brands: http://www.directboats.com/trihullboats.html

G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I considered the smaller 9.4 foot model which was about $260 cheaper. For the extra money I got padding on the seats, removable navigation lights, and the extra 8/10 foot. I'll be using this boat in coastal waters so the lights are a must. Also the layout is different and I think better in this model.

The 10.6 looks like a great boat too, but it weighs 230 lbs which is a little much for me, and it would have stretched the budget too much.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
That looks very similar to the Pelican 10' boat I have. Same basic layout, but the Pelican has a console across the entire middle so that the seats sit back to back but still swivel. I like the layout of your boat better for entry and exit consideration as well as rear trolling motor position. I added an aerator to the live well since it didn't come that way ($15)and added a fish finder to the side rail. The 55lb. thrust trolling motor pushes a wake at probably 8-9 MPH.
Cost for the boat 3 years ago was $560.

Mike
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
M Spinhirne, I think I see your boat at the link that's just under the pic of mine. Have you gotten good use out of yours?

Lunker
Lunker
Mine is more like this one, but we are thinking of getting a new one.

http://www.directboats.com/sporminbasbo.html

Chris
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
GW,
Yes the Pelican predator 103 is the boat I have. I have gotten good use from it. I did think the seats were too low, so I added about 2" of height by taking some square aluminum tubing, cutting a couple of links that go the length between the seats, and using longer bolts, bolted through these. This added height and gave me a couple of runners that I use now for securing loose objects on-board. Makes a good hand hold as well when getting in and out of the boat and adds stability to the seat attachment to the boat.
I use the boat 2-3 times per week and usually go through at least 2 charges per week on my battery.
Major complaint is small size limits use to two fishermen at a time. i am looking for a larger boat to use with multiple grandkids.
Mike

Mike
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I'm thinking of buying the 8ft Pelican Bass Raider or the Sportman Mini Bass Boat. It will be used almost exclusively with a trolling motor on my 2 1/2 ac pond. Also have a 180 acre reservoir nearby that allows only trolling motors. Unlikely I'd have a passenger. Small size and cost make me think I need a new toy! I'm concerned both might be VERY unstable. Could those of you who own either of these boats comment?

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
JHAP, for stability, look into the Gheenoe boats.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
jhap I did not see this thread. Cheenoe is similiar Riverhawk, you can not get a more stable boat for its size. we have used them for years and stand up and spray out of them. We are now dealers and shh but I can get you 20% off the prices here. http://www.riverhawkboats.com/msrppricelist.htm
this is the one i suggest for your pond. http://www.riverhawkboats.com/13duckboat.htm
I like the middle seat removed but if you like the other 13 footer is good as well. If you plan to move it from this pond to other locations it is heavy so not as good an option. No idea how much to get to CAL???

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Greg, as you said, the Gheenoe and River Hawk boats are similar but the flat bottom, the reinforced motor mount on the stern and the absence of a center seat would make the River Hawk my absolute choice. I didn't know about the River Hawk boats when I bought my Gheenoe eight years ago. When not using a trolling motor, I sit on the bow to paddle - works out fine. I'll be in the market for another in a couple years. May I talk to you about getting one from you then?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??